guns

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
sure they are. Don't you remember being a teenager and looking at a cop's gun and thinking, "I bet I could take that...".
No, because by the time I was a teenager I already owned a couple of guns of my own so it never occurred to me to steal one from a cop.

soberups

But I have worked with kids. They will find it.
Do the kids you work with pat you down? Do they pull your shirt up out of your belt or stick their hands down your pockets? Can they pick locks or force steel gun vaults open? Concealed means concealed and secured means secured.

bbsam

Staff member
No, because by the time I was a teenager I already owned a couple of guns of my own so it never occurred to me to steal one from a cop.
It's not about owning a gun or stealing the gun. It's about going down "in a blaze of glory", giving the world the finger on the way out. Seizing the opportunity...Carpe Diem!

tourists24

It's not about owning a gun or stealing the gun. It's about going down "in a blaze of glory", giving the world the finger on the way out. Seizing the opportunity...Carpe Diem!
and banning guns in school prevents this from happening how? Its already happening in schools now.... gun free schools at that....

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Do the kids you work with pat you down? Do they pull your shirt up out of your belt or stick their hands down your pockets? Can they pick locks or force steel gun vaults open? Concealed means concealed and secured means secured.
You've never noticed somebody concealing before?

BrownBrokeDown

But I have worked with kids. They will find it.
I get what you are trying to say. I don't necessarily agree with the way you are trying to drive it home. Personally, I don't know if I would want the teachers armed either as I don't trust a lot of their judgements/common sense/whatever you want to call it anyway. Unfortunately the solution is neccasarily applicable to a lot of schools right now. Outfit the schools with metal detectors at the entrance. 1 armed security guard at the detector, and one back a ways (2 targets). But like i said, not necessarily doable. A year or 2 ago, the district that my kids are in (2nd largest in the state) layed off most of their crossing guards and then asked for volunteers to do it for free as they didn't have the money to pay the crossing guards. Oh yeah, no background checks required on the volunteers either.

soberups

As I said. Give them all guns. If you really think that makes everyone safer, don't restrict anyone. 16 is old enough to drive, should be old enough to own a gun and carry. If that is what you believe, why arm only the teachers?

Don't be ridiculous.

No rational person would suggest arming children in a school.

We are talking about arming teachers. We are talking about provide training to qualified adults who are willing to take responsibility for the protection of their students.

If we trust teachers to educate our children, why cant we trust them to protect our children?

BrownBrokeDown

Don't be ridiculous.

We are talking about arming teachers. We are talking about provide training to qualified adults who are willing to take responsibility for the protection of their students.

If we trust teachers to educate our children, why cant we trust them to protect our children?
I'm with you on everything but this. And your last sentence said it all. In my area, I don't know if I would trust 90% of the teachers to educate a dog.

bbsam

Staff member
Don't be ridiculous.

Why? It has been noted that teens can already get guns easily. Why not even the playing field?

soberups

You've never noticed somebody concealing before?
I have probably spotted 3 or 4 people in the 18 years that I have had a carry permit, and that is only because I know what to look for and whenever I am at the mall or Costco with my wife I sort of check people out as a hobby.

The reality of the situation is that any man can quite easily conceal an airweight .38 revolver in the front pocket of his pants, in a pocket holster, and the gun is invisible to even the most careful observer. I know because I frequently carry this way myself. I also have a "tuckable" holster that allows me to conceal my Glock 26 in an inside-the-waistband holster with my shirt tucked in over it and the weapon totally concealed. If I were a teacher carrying this way, even if the student had x ray vision and could see the gun they would still have to pull my shirt all the way up out of my belt and clear of the holster in order to get to it. And any woman of average bust size can easily and comfortably conceal a .38 snubnose or compact .380 in one of the new "flashbang" bra holsters. Unless she has students who are literally committing sexual assault on her, there would be no way a student could see or access a gun that was being carried in such a manner.

This is one area where you honestly don't know what you are talking about. You don't own guns, I do. You don't own holsters, I do. You have never carried a concealed handgun in your life, I have been doing it for 18 years. You are allowing your fear of an inanimate object to blind you to the truth.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I have probably spotted 3 or 4 people in the 18 years that I have had a carry permit, and that is only because I know what to look for and whenever I am at the mall or Costco with my wife I sort of check people out as a hobby.

The reality of the situation is that any man can quite easily conceal an airweight .38 revolver in the front pocket of his pants, in a pocket holster, and the gun is invisible to even the most careful observer. I know because I frequently carry this way myself. I also have a "tuckable" holster that allows me to conceal my Glock 26 in an inside-the-waistband holster with my shirt tucked in over it and the weapon totally concealed. If I were a teacher carrying this way, even if the student had x ray vision and could see the gun they would still have to pull my shirt all the way up out of my belt and clear of the holster in order to get to it. And any woman of average bust size can easily and comfortably conceal a .38 snubnose or compact .380 in one of the new "flashbang" bra holsters. Unless she has students who are literally committing sexual assault on her, there would be no way a student could see or access a gun that was being carried in such a manner.

This is one area where you honestly don't know what you are talking about. You don't own guns, I do. You don't own holsters, I do. You have never carried a concealed handgun in your life, I have been doing it for 18 years. You are allowing your fear of an inanimate object to blind you to the truth.

bbsam

Staff member
how is it fair now? bad guys bring guns into the gun free schools? law abiding guys in schools get zero
I'm not saying it is fair. I'm saying that if you believe more guns make it safer, then maybe the government through the schools should hand out guns or at least conceal/carry permits. Isn't that your position and if not, why not?

bbsam

Staff member

you aren't considering the situation. Kids seeing the same teachers day after day. Bumping into them, watching their every move as they reach for the black board or bend over a desk...25 sets of eyes trained on that one person. I think concealment rather unlikely.

tourists24

I'm not saying it is fair. I'm saying that if you believe more guns make it safer, then maybe the government through the schools should hand out guns or at least conceal/carry permits. Isn't that your position and if not, why not?
I don't think anyone on here is talking about having "more" guns for any an all. Not unless you are saying that more than none is more. It IS saying that having certain armed and educated individuals can help in specific situations. That the problems in our society isn't going to be fixed by simply banning or outlawing guns.

soberups

you aren't considering the situation. Kids seeing the same teachers day after day. Bumping into them, watching their every move as they reach for the black board or bend over a desk...25 sets of eyes trained on that one person. I think concealment rather unlikely.
Not trying to be rude, but the reason you think it unlikely is because you don't know anything about guns or holsters or concealment.

Part of proper training in the use of guns involves the correct and safe way to carry concealed. It can be done. It is possible. The alternative that you propose...continuing to deny our teachers the tools they need to protect our children...isn't working.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
two priests were shot today in church. yeah no gun problem here move along nothing to see

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/12/justice/arizona-church-shooting/

CNN) -- A priest was killed and another critically wounded in an attack at a Catholic church in Phoenix, police said early Thursday.

The Rev. Kenneth Walker was fatally shot, and the Rev. Joseph Terra is hospitalized in critical condition, police and church officials said. It was not clear what type of weapon was used to attack Terra, Sgt. Steve Martos of the Phoenix Police Department said.

A 911 call came in about 9 p.m. Wednesday (12 a.m. ET Thursday) from the Mater Misericordiae (Mother of Mercy) Mission Catholic Church, Martos said.

The emergency call to police was for a burglary and was made by Terra, Martos said. It was unclear if Terra made the phone call before or after he was injured.

140612081922-priest-killed-in-phoenix-church-shooting-00000515-story-body.jpg
Priest killed in Phoenix church shooting
When police arrived, they found the two priests badly injured. Walker died at the hospital.

Terra, the injured priest, was only able to minimally speak with authorities about what happened, Martos said. The priority is for him to be treated.

"Hopefully, once that individual receives treatment and is able to pull through, we can gather more information," Martos said.

The church, in a statement on its website, referred to more than one armed burglar breaking into and entering the property. Police have not confirmed or denied that assertion, saying only that it is not an official police statement.

A green 2003 Mazda Tribute was stolen from church property, police said, and it was found abandoned.

The vehicle is being examined for clues, but as of Thursday morning, nothing significant had been found, Martos said.

"The police are still gathering information and trying to sort through the details of this senseless act of violence," the Diocese of Phoenix said in a statement. "We ask that people offer prayers for both priests, the religious community, their families and the parish."

Investigators have gathered physical evidence at the crime scene, but they lack witness information, police said. Authorities asked for anyone with information to call in tips to police.

Walker, 29, was a member of the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, a small community of priests founded in 1988 and dedicated to reviving the traditional Latin Mass. Terra, 56, is also a member.

A Catholic blog, Rorate Caeli, said Walker was born in upstate New York in a family that became intrigued by the traditional Latin Mass. He was ordained as a priest two years ago.

The blog described the area around the church in downtown Phoenix as "deserted and dangerous at night" but asked followers to avoid speculation about a motive for the crime. It suggested prayer instead.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Not trying to be rude, but the reason you think it unlikely is because you don't know anything about guns or holsters or concealment.

Part of proper training in the use of guns involves the correct and safe way to carry concealed. It can be done. It is possible. The alternative that you propose...continuing to deny our teachers the tools they need to protect our children...isn't working.
I deliver to quite a few schools, the ideas of the teachers I see every day being armed is both funny and downright scary at the same time.

you are putting the bandage on the nose when the snakebite is on the arse: LESS guns nationwide is the answer, not MORE guns