Harassment grievances

Drivers in my center file harassment grievances for simply being told to go help other drivers. Especially the ones that think they are about to clock out at 15:45. They've also filed harassment grievances for being told they have to ACTUALLY work 8 hours instead of getting their guarantee despite working 7 hours. They also claim being told to reattempt commercial stops (including NDAs) during posted business hours, to make pickups during pickup windows, and to show up on time is harassment. Sound familiar?

They also hurt people that have legit cases that would involve the 1-800 number. Which should be extremely rare.

I just don't understand these youngsters. And, pathetically, a few of the OGs as well.
We had a guy a couple of weeks ago who took mon tues off, worked 7.8 and 8.4 on wed thurs. Ended up with an 10.7 hour day Friday because the guy next to him on his rural route had an 8-hour. He filed for harassment because they were picking on him and made him work late on a friday for calling in mon and tues. He rarely even sniffs 9.5 and often goes code 5. Crazy.

1. Yes, money and an end to the harassment.
2. Money
3. Safety issues are the easiest, get your steward and your safety guy on board and you will be a rich man.

Also it’s fun seeing the sups get smacked down and have their tail between their legs for a while.
No one in our local has ever seen anyone get paid solely for a harassment grievance. Pr so says KS anyway.

PreTrippin’

Can’t even pretrip
No one in our local has ever seen anyone get paid solely for a harassment grievance. Pr so says KS anyway.
Not yet friend. We have some pretty good new language. I won some 3 7 grieves and it was so good even without penalty pay. Seeing them get smacked down by their master was worth more than gold. Ahh preload…

542thruNthru

No one cares about your opinion.
ClWjeO3.gif

542thruNthru

I believe she is on the National Article 37 committee, so she would know. Also didn't we finally get someone paid for harassment just last year? First one ever I think.
If anyone can do it KS will. I believe @542thruNthru (accurately) referred to her as a “bulldog”.
You don't mess with Karla.

Brownt10

How is them enforcing safety, harassment?
Management does not enforce safety at all. I’m trying to enforce the same safety they shoved down our throats pre-Covid & management tries to give me a hard time. I don’t care about them making their numbers. They don’t care about commit times or the hourlies

Brownt10

1. Yes, money and an end to the harassment.
2. Money
3. Safety issues are the easiest, get your steward and your safety guy on board and you will be a rich man.

Also it’s fun seeing the sups get smacked down and have their tail between their legs for a while.
Idc about money for safety issues. I’m not exaggerating & wouldn’t waste my time with this if it wasn’t legit. I’ve seen guys written up for not following safety & even a couple fired but since our profits skyrocketed during & after Covid management doesn’t preach safety coincidentally.

Brownt10

I think you should go for a safety grievance with your steward. Maybe make an anonymous tip to OSHA.
Ya but does osha have anything to do with overweights being thrown up on the belt while packages are coming down the shoots??? Or enforcing overweight tape on all sides???

If not that seems like a waste. Just an fyi I obviously didn’t write the contract so this was agreed upon between the union & management at a much higher level. For all the years they harassed us over safety but then I’m the bad guy when I enforce it

Brownt10

Because millennials have very fragile personalities.
Management doesn’t enforce safety anymore like they used to. I’ve been written up, verbal warnings & seen a few employees fired over safety. Since the pandemic where ups profits have skyrocketed they magically stopped caring about safety. No more DOK etc lol.

So explain how me enforcing safety over things such as overweights thrown up with regular packages while someone is trying to split the belt or enforcing egress is being fragile? You must be in management & I’ll tell you what I tell management In my building “friend your numbers”

Integrity

Binge Poster
@Brownt10,

I am retired, but I spent my entire career associated with the preload in some way. I was a champion for safety compliance. I have had many attempts of harassment against me. These attempts alway brought serious problems to management because I had unwavering support from the Executive Board of my local. I was a long time Steward as well.

What is your shop steward’s position on what you have brought here to the B/C?

Last edited:

Brownt10

What does your Steward say about this?
They’re behind me on these issues. Only problem is this building I’m in is a country club & has been for a long time where they don’t enforce many safety issues like stewards in other buildings do. The union was really firm in other buildings but this building is more relaxed yet it’s one of the biggest buildings in our state.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Management doesn’t enforce safety anymore like they used to. I’ve been written up, verbal warnings & seen a few employees fired over safety. Since the pandemic where ups profits have skyrocketed they magically stopped caring about safety. No more DOK etc lol.

So explain how me enforcing safety over things such as overweights thrown up with regular packages while someone is trying to split the belt or enforcing egress is being fragile? You must be in management & I’ll tell you what I tell management In my building “friend your numbers”
IMO Your safety concerns as you describe them are valid and from my experience and observation were chronic and overlooked in all the preloads that I have been to. Until something bad happened then as alway the “blame the worker” culture ensued.

Integrity

Binge Poster
They’re behind me on these issues. Only problem is this building I’m in is a country club & has been for a long time where they don’t enforce many safety issues like stewards in other buildings do. The union was really firm in other buildings but this building is more relaxed yet it’s one of the biggest buildings in our state.
If I may ask. What official acts have you taken to address the safety concerns that you have described?

If sharing this privately would work better that is fine, public forum is good too.

If not NP.

Brownt10

IMO Your safety concerns as you describe them are valid and from my experience and observation were chronic and overlooked in all the preloads that I have been to. Until something bad happened then as alway the “blame the worker” culture ensued.
You should see all the cameras everywhere in our building on all the belts.

Should packages be coming down the shoot while management is instructing hourlies to throw up overweights?

Also what do you recommend I do as far as these safety issues & violating our contract? My stewards are good but not aggressive enough & I want to help them rather than criticize them. I feel I have to above their heads but to who? The grievances just go in the stack of the other thousands

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

Should packages be coming down the shoot while management is instructing hourlies to throw up overweights?

Also what do you recommend I do as far as these safety issues & violating our contract? My stewards are good but not aggressive enough & I want to help them rather than criticize them. I feel I have to above their heads but to who? The grievances just go in the stack of the other thousands
So you didn’t like my answer, so you’ll keep asking the question?

My favorite kind of hourly to deal with.

Look.
You have to follow the proper protocols whether you like it or not.

Sounds like you’ve never filed a grievance on this with the article I told you.

Go ahead and call the BA.
First thing he’s going to ask is whether you’ve talked to your stewards about this, and if you’ve filed on it.

This isn’t about the safety at this point. If this was about safety, you’d be putting in the time and effort to do it, instead of whining that nothing will be done about your grievance that you haven’t even filed.

Brownt10

So you didn’t like my answer, so you’ll keep asking the question?

My favorite kind of hourly to deal with.

Look.
You have to follow the proper protocols whether you like it or not.

Sounds like you’ve never filed a grievance on this with the article I told you.

Go ahead and call the BA.
First thing he’s going to ask is whether you’ve talked to your stewards about this, and if you’ve filed on it.

This isn’t about the safety at this point. If this was about safety, you’d be putting in the time and effort to do it, instead of whining that nothing will be done about your grievance that you haven’t even filed.
I was asking questions specifically to “integrity” but probably should have messaged him privately so it’s not repetitive bc I specifically wanted their view since they were asking questions.

No I have not filed a grievance & have only reported them to the stewards & they told me they filed. If I can do it directly I’d like to bc I know they are extremely busy. The problems they are grieving continue to happen everyday so that’s why rather than wait I’d rather stop the belt & immediately correct the safety issue. Guys in other centers would stop the belt for no overweight tape on packages & management did nothing to harass them bc they knew they were In the wrong for letting the package make it down the belt without overweight tape clearly visible on all sides

Integrity

Binge Poster

I would be glad to share my thoughts based upon my personal experience, strength, and hope that I received when dealing with issues like these in the BS/ Corrupt Safety culture that existed at UPS while I was there and since I have only been retired for a bit I am certain still exists.

How serious are you about addressing these specific concerns you brought up?

What action have you taken to officially address your specific safety concerns that you have mentioned here?

Private or public discussion is fine by me.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I was asking questions specifically to “integrity” but probably should have messaged him privately so it’s not repetitive bc I specifically wanted their view since they were asking questions.

No I have not filed a grievance & have only reported them to the stewards & they told me they filed. If I can do it directly I’d like to bc I know they are extremely busy. The problems they are grieving continue to happen everyday so that’s why rather than wait I’d rather stop the belt & immediately correct the safety issue. Guys in other centers would stop the belt for no overweight tape on packages & management did nothing to harass them bc they knew they were In the wrong for letting the package make it down the belt without overweight tape clearly visible on all sides
You do not have the right to cause a work stoppage unless you or another hourly is in danger, if management has instructed you not to turn off the belt.

You absolutely can be written up and disciplined if you continue what you are doing.

I'm trying to help you. Take it to the proper channels, and don't give management a reason to make it about insubordination instead of safety.

You say that the stewards said they filed a grievance on this?
Why did you not file?

If this is a safety issue that you are passionate about, your name needs to be on the paper. Don't leave it up to chance and others.
If you actually care about making change in your building, then you need to learn the process, and walk the walk. There aren't gonna be shortcuts.