Harassment grievances

Language contained in Art 18 Sec 20.4

“The Local Union shall approve the bargaining unit members who serve on these Committees. The Union co-chair of the committee(s) shall be selected by the bargaining unit members of the committee. In the event that a Local Union desires to cease participation in the safety committees, prior approval must be authorized by the Union Co-Chair of the Teamsters United Parcel Service National Negoti- ating Committee who shall also inform the Employer’s President of Labor Relations of the request.

Both parties recognize and reaffirm the importance of maintaining properly functioning Safety and Health Committees and shall make a good faith effort to work out any differences prior to requesting authorization to cease participation.”
My locals contract is separate from the Master. There's a few minor differences I'm not sure if it effects the safety committee.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yes, the local approves the members on the committee and can remove them, it’s the union members committee not the companies.
My local was very strong on holding the safety committee’s feet to the proverbial file. Company suck ups didn’t last long, when they revealed themselves for who they really were.

Thebrownblob

My local was very strong on holding the safety committee’s feet to the proverbial file. Company suck ups didn’t last long, when they revealed themselves for who they really were.
There’s been a time or two we thought of disbanding the committees in protest not necessarily because of the members, but because the company was being difficult about situations with safety.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Management doesn’t enforce safety anymore like they used to. I’ve been written up, verbal warnings & seen a few employees fired over safety. Since the pandemic where ups profits have skyrocketed they magically stopped caring about safety. No more DOK etc lol.

So explain how me enforcing safety over things such as overweights thrown up with regular packages while someone is trying to split the belt or enforcing egress is being fragile? You must be in management & I’ll tell you what I tell management In my building “friend your numbers”
Good work. Get management to harass co workers by reviewing DOK questions. Great!

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

25+ Year UPSer and Teamster
We had a guy a couple of weeks ago who took mon tues off, worked 7.8 and 8.4 on wed thurs. Ended up with an 10.7 hour day Friday because the guy next to him on his rural route had an 8-hour. He filed for harassment because they were picking on him and made him work late on a friday for calling in mon and tues. He rarely even sniffs 9.5 and often goes code 5. Crazy.
I don't know why those MFs bothered bidding in to the job in the first place. Should have stayed part-time inside.

Brownt10

here is an example of harassment. A supervisor went up to one of the preloaders & told him to “stop being a useless Four letter word & go to the unload”. I personally would just give it back & work “safe” All day but bc some supervisors like to pump their Chest out I would want to get them punished the best way possible.

The individual he said that to told that supervisor not to talk to him like that & he would document anything else he says.

Integrity

Binge Poster
here is an example of harassment. A supervisor went up to one of the preloaders & told him to “stop being a useless Four letter word & go to the unload”. I personally would just give it back & work “safe” All day but bc some supervisors like to pump their Chest out I would want to get them punished the best way possible.

The individual he said that to told that supervisor not to talk to him like that & he would document anything else he says.
Based upon what you shared it, the sup was in clear violation of Article 37.

Will you serve as an official witness to this when the supervisor does it again?

IMO Step 1 is always bring grievances or even potential grievances up to the Steward and document the interaction before moving forward.

When I was young and dumb at UPS I didn’t always proceed in this way but as I gained experience, this being the first step became a nonnegotiable for any issue or crusade that I was going to address.

Once I became the Steward it made this step very easy.