Harassment grievances

Integrity

Binge Poster
You do not have the right to cause a work stoppage unless you or another hourly is in danger, if management has instructed you not to turn off the belt.

You absolutely can be written up and disciplined if you continue what you are doing.

I'm trying to help you. Take it to the proper channels, and don't give management a reason to make it about insubordination instead of safety.

You say that the stewards said they filed a grievance on this?
Why did you not file?

If this is a safety issue that you are passionate about, your name needs to be on the paper. Don't leave it up to chance and others.
If you actually care about making change in your building, then you need to learn the process, and walk the walk. There aren't gonna be shortcuts.
Well said!

Ya but does osha have anything to do with overweights being thrown up on the belt while packages are coming down the shoots??? Or enforcing overweight tape on all sides???

If not that seems like a waste. Just an fyi I obviously didn’t write the contract so this was agreed upon between the union & management at a much higher level. For all the years they harassed us over safety but then I’m the bad guy when I enforce it
Yes. In your complaint write that your contract states there shouldn't be any irregulars / bulk packages on the belt for safety reasons and that the company is cutting corners. If you're really living on the edge you don't have to make it anonymous lol.

Not sure this situation would be harassment you would have to ask your steward or whoever is helping you with the grievance.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yes. In your complaint write that your contract states there shouldn't be any irregulars / bulk packages on the belt for safety reasons and that the company is cutting corners. If you're really living on the edge you don't have to make it anonymous lol.

Not sure this situation would be harassment you would have to ask your steward or whoever is helping you with the grievance.
IMO and experience filing a formal complaint with OSHA is a valid option only after all internal processes and procedures for internally addressing specific safety complaints have been meticulously attempted.

IMO this meticulous attempt must be done in order and that complete and detailed documentation of the entire process can be produced. You will need this documentation for each level that you have to proceed to to prove that you are acting in “good faith” as opposed to just being a complainer, whiner or worse, just a trouble maker.

This is how I did it at least.

Brownt10

You do not have the right to cause a work stoppage unless you or another hourly is in danger, if management has instructed you not to turn off the belt.

You absolutely can be written up and disciplined if you continue what you are doing.

I'm trying to help you. Take it to the proper channels, and don't give management a reason to make it about insubordination instead of safety.

You say that the stewards said they filed a grievance on this?
Why did you not file?

If this is a safety issue that you are passionate about, your name needs to be on the paper. Don't leave it up to chance and others.
If you actually care about making change in your building, then you need to learn the process, and walk the walk. There aren't gonna be shortcuts.
Got it, I only turn it off for safety concerns. Not bc it simply violates the contract

I relay all info/concerns to my shop stewards & they tell me they are filing but if I don’t have to be a shop steward to file then I will.

Integrity

Binge Poster
They do that in our building every so often and then bring it back.
Language contained in Art 18 Sec 20.4

“The Local Union shall approve the bargaining unit members who serve on these Committees. The Union co-chair of the committee(s) shall be selected by the bargaining unit members of the committee. In the event that a Local Union desires to cease participation in the safety committees, prior approval must be authorized by the Union Co-Chair of the Teamsters United Parcel Service National Negoti- ating Committee who shall also inform the Employer’s President of Labor Relations of the request.

Both parties recognize and reaffirm the importance of maintaining properly functioning Safety and Health Committees and shall make a good faith effort to work out any differences prior to requesting authorization to cease participation.”

Thebrownblob

We don't have a safety committee anymore,

....good riddance.
Unfortunately, many of them,if they’re not well monitored by the local and stewards become lapdogs for the companies. Pretty much doing their bidding. If that ever happens in my local I would also request we get rid of them.

Thebrownblob

Language contained in Art 18 Sec 20.4

“The Local Union shall approve the bargaining unit members who serve on these Committees. The Union co-chair of the committee(s) shall be selected by the bargaining unit members of the committee. In the event that a Local Union desires to cease participation in the safety committees, prior approval must be authorized by the Union Co-Chair of the Teamsters United Parcel Service National Negoti- ating Committee who shall also inform the Employer’s President of Labor Relations of the request.

Both parties recognize and reaffirm the importance of maintaining properly functioning Safety and Health Committees and shall make a good faith effort to work out any differences prior to requesting authorization to cease participation.”
Yep, that’s the language, but not every local handles their business with the safety committees that way, and those safety committees get out of control and get a bunch of kiss asses on them. Either looking to tattle tale. on other union members or get the days off/easy money.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Unfortunately, many of them,if they’re not well monitored by the local and stewards become lapdogs for the companies. Pretty much doing their bidding. If that ever happens in my local I would also request we get rid of them.
No doubt that happens.

That would be a union leadership problem, no.

I take it you still have safety committees.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yep, that’s the language, but not every local handles their business with the safety committees that way, and those safety committees get out of control and get a bunch of kiss asses on them. Either looking to tattle tale. on other union members or get the days off/easy money.
If they are not handling safety committees contractually then whose to blame.

That sucks for sure.