How's the view???........

upsgrunt

Those PC's have lived their useful lives and are headed for scrap. I guess UPS does that so no one can reuse them for illegal purposes.

UPS Lifer

This goes to show that we should always do our jobs by the methods. Doing it right takes longer.

I agree - do the job by the methods - no shortcuts BUT you also need to eliminate time wasters as well. I don't agree that doing the job by the methods always takes longer. Some people think that leaving the keys in the ignition or leaving the bulkhead door open saves time. It does not. Running, cutting across lawns, jumping over objects jumping in and out of car will ALWAYS catch up to you in the long run. Be safe and be fair.

Based upon what you have told us, I would ask for a meeting with you, your shop steward, the sup who performed the "safety ride" and your center manager to discuss this issue and ask for another production ride. Don't be confrontational--simply present the facts as you have given them here. Obviously had you known it was a production ride you would not have allowed your sup to help you as this has skewed your SPORH.

Absolutely agree - The supervisor must be a rookie or must not have known it was going to be used for SPORH comparison. This will never stand up in a quest to terminate for performance. Don't worry about it.

Got a three day Sup ride a few weeks ago. He told me it was just my safety ride but they had to ride three days now. So I let him help out all three days. The next week they anounced that the three day rides will determine what your stops per hour. Then I got a letter telling me how many stops I was expected to do based on that ride.

What kind of letter did you get? When I hear letter - I think of discipline. It does not sound that way.

I am not sure what mgmt is trying to accomplish here. Usually, a production ride means a supervisor makes sure you are using the methods and establishing such on the three days. The employee knows EXACTLY what is going on.

Day 1 - observation, correction and training
Day 2 - more correction and training
Day 3 - correct immediately and develop a routine
End of each day - recap ride
Day 4 - Hold driver to best demonstrated SPORH - if driver does not - t/w & w/w - Discipline if or when appropriate

If mgmt is just trying to establish a guideline for all the drivers than it could be to determine goals planned days for the center based on a supervisor ride. But helping a driver is nothing more than a waste of time.

I would be pissed if I put a supervisor out on a car and found out the supervisor was helping the driver.

Big Babooba

WTH............................happened? Personally I would like purple.
I'll relay your preference to the mechanics. Purple is a fitting color for the Easter Bunny's visit. For Memorial Day and July 4th, I'll suggest red, white and blue. Any suggestions for Labor Day? Halloween could be orange and black. Forget about Thanksgiving and Christmas - they'll use anything with 4 wheels.:happy-very:

I am not sure what mgmt is trying to accomplish here.
I know what they are trying to accomplish, a basis for intimation.
Usually, a production ride means a supervisor makes sure you are using the methods and establishing such on the three days. The employee knows EXACTLY what is going on.

Day 1 - observation, correction and training
Day 2 - more correction and training
Day 3 - correct immediately and develop a routine
End of each day - recap ride
Day 4 - Hold driver to best demonstrated SPORH - if driver does not - t/w & w/w - Discipline if or when appropriate
I think it should be for the average, not the best demonstrated. There are lots of variables that can change even the SPORH.

If mgmt is just trying to establish a guideline for all the drivers than it could be to determine goals planned days for the center based on a supervisor ride. But helping a driver is nothing more than a waste of time.
May be a waste of time, but it sure helps the driver finish sooner.

I would be pissed if I put a supervisor out on a car and found out the supervisor was helping the driver.
I think we have already established you are not the average manager, you don't run an operation based on how scared your drivers are.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I thought an OJS ride for performance meant the observer had a clip board with the green & white papers where they documented every stop. I had a few OJS rides in my 30 some years and not much changed except my excessive backing.

The OJS was usually a result of a new center manager. Usually by lunch time or the and of the 1st page the observer was talking to the manager and the ride was over. There was always a "fire" that needed put out somewhere else.

UPS Lifer

I thought an OJS ride for performance meant the observer had a clip board with the green & white papers where they documented every stop. I had a few OJS rides in my 30 some years and not much changed except my excessive backing.

The OJS was usually a result of a new center manager. Usually by lunch time or the and of the 1st page the observer was talking to the manager and the ride was over. There was always a "fire" that needed put out somewhere else.

It doesn't sound like you were a performance problem. A good sup can figure out by lunchtime were time is being lost. (keyword - good!) When you have real performance problems you have to spend the time with a driver.

I always helped the driver, gave them pointers to make the day easier but no help on a performance ride... You are defeating the purpose.

I only had one driver who was "perceived" as a performance problem. I went on a lot of rides with him. His methods became so smooth it was amazing. He was still going in the hole so we were able to get him a TS and he was virtually a scratch driver. I have to laugh, not long after that he went into feeder! He showed us!

Big Babooba

0319091325a-1.jpg
">
hey hey hey, take this crap out of my thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're absolutely right!

I must say that AZ has some of the most beautiful sunsets!
I don't disagree with that, I have always thought the same about my Texas sunsets and sunrises. All together I have spent approximately 100 nights ( at various times)in the Detroit,Mi area, have yet to see a pretty sunset.

over9five

Staff member
Disney Magic - March 2001

Maybe the 5th day of the cruise. Everyone's getting dressed for dinner.
Anyhow, I'm tired of the fancy food so I decide to skip the dinner.
I got a hamburger and a coke, and ate in a deckchair by myself watching the sun sink slowly into the sea. Most beautiful sunset I've ever seen, and something I will never forget.

Footnote: Disney's dining room staff are the best I've seen on any cruise. Our waiter had all our names down on the first night. So Mitcho asks, "Where is Over?" (add Croatian accent) when I wasn't there that night. My beautiful 13 year old wise[-]***[/-]guy daughter (can't imagine where she got that from) immediately answers, "He didn't like the service!" After the guy picked his jaw up from the floor, he got it and had a good laugh!