I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

That’s how I know you didn’t watch a second of the video I posted. Our health care regulations are a strangle hold on our healthcare system. You want to complain about higher prices look at the FDA and regulations.
ive watched alot of friedman videos before, including that one, and his reputation hasnt improved since then.

america is has a lightly regulated healthcare system, and its the only one like this.

recently we had debates of privatizing our government auto insurance here (which is awful), and a local economist who i trust posted an private industry funded paper admitting that private insurance would be more expensive than our current one (would it be better, i dont know).

i am not saying government run everything is better than private.

rickyb

I would argue our regulations are to blame. Like the article says it takes like 10 to 15 years to get the drug on the market. I know in Europe they have competition for the EpiPen but our FDA protected that from competition leading to higher prices.
Don’t Only Blame Mylan for $600 EpiPens – Fortune Insiders
speaking of drug prices, im not sure how many EU countries have their government buy the drug in mass volume and negotiating with drug companies for lower prices.

only the veteran dept does this in america.

El Correcto

god is dead
you should check out how much the US government subsidizes its own healthcare like drug invention
Post an article I’m willing to read it. If you are talking about the aspects that are already socialized I’ve probably heard it and won’t be agreeing to it.

El Correcto

god is dead
speaking of drug prices, im not sure how many EU countries have their government buy the drug in mass volume and negotiating with drug companies for lower prices.

only the veteran dept does this in america.
They have pricing control if I comprehended the articles above. Might not be buying in bulk but they are negotiating the prices.

rickyb

Post an article I’m willing to read it. If you are talking about the aspects that are already socialized I’ve probably heard it and won’t be agreeing to it.
this is unrelated but: `It gets worse. Harvard’s Malcolm Sparrow, the leading expert on health care billing fraud and abuse, conservatively estimates that 10 percent of all health care expenditure in the United States is lost to computerized billing fraud. That’s $270 billion dollars a year!``

from their page: did you know that NIH is the largest public funder of biomedical research in the world, investing more than $32 billion a year to enhance life, and reduce illness and disability? NIH funded research has led to breakthroughs and new treatments, helping people live longer, healthier lives, and building the research foundation that drives discovery.

the government does research for new drugs and just gives it away for free to drug companies which then charge as much as they can to patients.

Ralph Nader: Big Pharma is crony capitalism out of control

`
That drug was produced by a grant of $31 million of taxpayer money through the National Institutes of Health, right through the clinical testing process. The formula was then given away to the Bristol-Myers Squibb company. No royalties were paid to the taxpayer. There was no restraint on the price. Charges now run $10,000 to $15,000 per patient for a series of treatments. If the patients can't pay, they go on Medicaid, and the taxpayer pays at the other end of the cycle, too.`` - from an older article

``not only do taxpayers pay for a very large percentage of industry R&D, but are in fact paying twice because they then get hit with high prices for the drugs themselves.”

so im not an expert on the precise number but we can guess its alot of money

Last edited:

rickyb

from office space the movie:

notice how capitalism and state communism both have bureaucracies and lack of incentive for workers to work hard. when im at work, i do the exact same thing. and i dont remember a job where i havent done this. theres never enough incentive at work to work hard. theres definitely incentive to study hard at school. this movie reminds me of the office scene in the first matrix.

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?

Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.

Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?

Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.

Bob Slydell: Eight?

Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
from office space the movie:

notice how capitalism and state communism both have bureaucracies and lack of incentive for workers to work hard. when im at work, i do the exact same thing. and i dont remember a job where i havent done this. theres never enough incentive at work to work hard. theres definitely incentive to study hard at school. this movie reminds me of the office scene in the first matrix.

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?

Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.

Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?

Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.

Bob Slydell: Eight?

Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

That describes problems with corporate culture and compensation packages, not directly with capitalism. I've worked at jobs where you could get bonuses, and any jobs that pay commission or piecework ought to motivate people to work harder. Not every job is suited for these compensation systems, however. I'm leaning toward worker owned cooperatives as a viable alternative to corporate structure.