I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

What did he plan? To have the power in the hands of the wealthy landowners? You can't compare today with his time. Totally different world. All they could do is give us a framework to guide us. They did pretty good with that.
madison was pissed off as it says, when america turned into a capitalist state.

rickyb

So don't move to Vancouver. Problem solved. We're likely to see a worldwide crash in the next year. Those prices may not come down much there, but should come down.
kamloops which is a medium sized town and 1 hour 22 minute drive from the next cool medium sized town is more expensive than tokyo. kamloops population is 90,000 LOL. tokyo city is 14 million. kamloops is not a tourist hub unlike whistler.

1691770144568.png

vantexan

madison was pissed off as it says, when america turned into a capitalist state.
Madison died in 1836. Capitalism wasn't widespread in the U.S. until 1900. There were only a handful of corporations in 1776 but there are millions today. America was very much an agrarian society in 1836.

rickyb

Madison died in 1836. Capitalism wasn't widespread in the U.S. until 1900. There were only a handful of corporations in 1776 but there are millions today. America was very much an agrarian society in 1836.
chomsky refers to hamilton so im assuming that would be late 1700s when hamilton was treasury secretary when madison became pissed off that the rich were acting selfishly.

vantexan

chomsky refers to hamilton so im assuming that would be late 1700s when hamilton was treasury secretary when madison became pissed off that the rich were acting selfishly.
The rich are always acting selfishly. Where are these noble rich in the world who give away everything and live like everyone else? Ralph Nader doesn't live that way. The U.S. wasn't a capitalist nation during Madison's lifetime. Not even close. Too bad it wasn't, we might have avoided the Civil War.

rickyb

The rich are always acting selfishly. Where are these noble rich in the world who give away everything and live like everyone else? Ralph Nader doesn't live that way. The U.S. wasn't a capitalist nation during Madison's lifetime. Not even close. Too bad it wasn't, we might have avoided the Civil War.
well no during pre capitalism madison clearly thought the rich werent going to be selfish but he ended up realizing he was wrong by the time hamilton was treasury secretary.

vantexan

well no during pre capitalism madison clearly thought the rich werent going to be selfish but he ended up realizing he was wrong by the time hamilton was treasury secretary.
Well that didn't take very long. So you're under the impression the primary writer of the Constitution was naive about the motives of the wealthy? Must have been a big shock.

rickyb

Well that didn't take very long. So you're under the impression the primary writer of the Constitution was naive about the motives of the wealthy? Must have been a big shock.
again from the article. he was probably a :censored2:ing :censored2: too:

To be fair, Madison was precapitalist and his "more capable set of men" were supposed to be "enlightened statesmen" and "benevolent philosophers," not investors and corporate executives trying to maximize their own wealth regardless of the effect that has on other people. When Alexander Hamilton and his followers began to turn the US into a capitalist state, Madison was pretty appalled. In my opinion, he’d be an anticapitalist if he were alive today — as would Jefferson and Adam Smith.)

vantexan

again from the article. he was probably a :censored2:ing :censored2: too:

To be fair, Madison was precapitalist and his "more capable set of men" were supposed to be "enlightened statesmen" and "benevolent philosophers," not investors and corporate executives trying to maximize their own wealth regardless of the effect that has on other people. When Alexander Hamilton and his followers began to turn the US into a capitalist state, Madison was pretty appalled. In my opinion, he’d be an anticapitalist if he were alive today — as would Jefferson and Adam Smith.)
I think you're overly optimistic. The capitalism you're familiar with wasn't a thing in the 1790's or the 1830's. To tell you the truth when you think of capitalism you're probably thinking in terms of America since we became a service economy and turned half the country into wage slaves. People have been compensating for lack of income by taking on debt. If it all collapses it'll be the debt that does it. Whether it's the Federal government, state governments, college grads, the middle class, the working class, the debt has piled up to unsustainable levels. There will eventually be a reckoning then back to the same old same old because we're addicted to getting what we want now and putting off paying for it until later.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Screenshot-2022-09-16-at-5.03.17-PM.jpg

rickyb

I think you're overly optimistic. The capitalism you're familiar with wasn't a thing in the 1790's or the 1830's. To tell you the truth when you think of capitalism you're probably thinking in terms of America since we became a service economy and turned half the country into wage slaves. People have been compensating for lack of income by taking on debt. If it all collapses it'll be the debt that does it. Whether it's the Federal government, state governments, college grads, the middle class, the working class, the debt has piled up to unsustainable levels. There will eventually be a reckoning then back to the same old same old because we're addicted to getting what we want now and putting off paying for it until later.
i agree with you that incomes adjusted for inflation stopped rising since 1973, people have compensated partly with debt.

no i am going with the idea that madison realized that the rich werent acting in america's best interest not long after he invented this system

Thebrownblob

his solution was utopian but his analysis is the greatest

But if a solution is utopia, and it doesn’t exist, how is that a solution at all? What do think is utopia, I might think it’s hell! Everyone’s opinion on utopia is different.

rickyb

But if a solution is utopia, and it doesn’t exist, how is that a solution at all? What do think is utopia, I might think it’s hell! Everyone’s opinion on utopia is different.
his solution was wrong

yea i dont think people thinking slavery is wonderful is an excuse to keep slavery and i dont think its that complicated either.

Thebrownblob

his solution was wrong

yea i dont think people thinking slavery is wonderful is an excuse to keep slavery and i dont think its that complicated either.
Liberty and happiness, are as complicated as everyone you talk too even, on this small website. Everyone has a different idea about those things so there is no chance for Utopia so you can just throw Marxist theory in the trash. Marxism just becomes someone else’s jail cell and torture chamber.