Is anyone following Wisconsin?

brett636

This move has awoke a sleeping giant that sat home and didnt cast their voes in the last election. The Republicans have just lost all their momentum going forward.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/loc...cle_0657a7e5-a7ca-59df-abf0-3222b8c8ef98.html

How do you figure that? Unions make up less than 10% of the workforce, and the nearly half of the country considers itself conservative? The sleeping giant was the one that was out voting in the last election, and believe me that momentum has not slowed down.

bbsam

Staff member
With Wisc. freezing their pay checks, looks like you just got 14 more looking for handouts. Maybe 15 when that pregnant senator gives birth.

14. 14,000. What difference does it make? But first they would have to establish residency. That would leave 14 seats still open in Wisconsin. Have to be special elections, blah, blah, blah. Could keep things tied up for a good long time. Illinois could keep bringing in Wisconsin senators 14 at a time until 2012 and beyond.

brett636

Someone should explain to these fools that its not about them, its about the taxpayer getting sucked dry by their exceedingly high pay and benefits. I guess nobody explained to them that when the taxpayers were fed up with them living the high life that something would occur to bring their pay and benefits closer to that of the average taxpayer, and yes its going to cost them something that they won't want to give up.

bbsam

Staff member
Someone should explain to these fools that its not about them, its about the taxpayer getting sucked dry by their exceedingly high pay and benefits. I guess nobody explained to them that when the taxpayers were fed up with them living the high life that something would occur to bring their pay and benefits closer to that of the average taxpayer, and yes its going to cost them something that they won't want to give up.

And why couldn't we tell the fools on Wall Street the same thing? Why is it they were too special?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
And why couldn't we tell the fools on Wall Street the same thing? Why is it they were too special?

Thats right...why? To big to fail? What about the mom and pop business that played by the rules and went under with no one to bail them out? To small to care? You could ask the Messiah and maybe he will tell you why.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
I'm asking everybody. I don't think Obama knows any better than you, Lue. Care to take a stab at ti?

bbsam

Staff member
But what you are really saying is that since we can't go after Wall Street and the top 2% tax-payers in the country, we'll go after public service workers. Somehow that seems ok to you?

Lue C Fur

Evil member
But what you are really saying is that since we can't go after Wall Street and the top 2% tax-payers in the country, we'll go after public service workers. Somehow that seems ok to you?

Again....just since someone makes more than you i dont think they should have to pay more. Also public service workers work for the govt which i pay for. Seems that everytime the govt wants to give out more entitlements and has budget crisis they want to raise taxes instead of cutting costs...why?

bbsam

Staff member
Again....just since someone makes more than you i dont think they should have to pay more. Also public service workers work for the govt which i pay for. Seems that everytime the govt wants to give out more entitlements and has budget crisis they want to raise taxes instead of cutting costs...why?

Well then you are advocating for at best a flat tax. In fact we have a regressive tax when Warren Buffet pays a lower tax rate than his secretary. Don't forget how good the rich have it. Reagan cut the top rate from about 70% to 35%. Bush to 31. And for the Bush tax cuts to expire and that top rate go back to 35% seems to be draconian to the republicans. 4%. That's it. We seem to be all about the deficit right now, but only in cutting never in raising taxes. Not exactly the Reagan model.

island1fox

Well then you are advocating for at best a flat tax. In fact we have a regressive tax when Warren Buffet pays a lower tax rate than his secretary. Don't forget how good the rich have it. Reagan cut the top rate from about 70% to 35%. Bush to 31. And for the Bush tax cuts to expire and that top rate go back to 35% seems to be draconian to the republicans. 4%. That's it. We seem to be all about the deficit right now, but only in cutting never in raising taxes. Not exactly the Reagan model.

bbsam,
Since you want them to pay more --at least know what the top rate is now under the BUSH tax cuts=35% --if the tax cuts would have expired the top rate would have been 39.6%. Clinton rates : 15% --28% --31%--36% and 39.6 %--Bush and present rates 10% --15%--25%--28%--33% and 35%.

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam,
Since you want them to pay more --at least know what the top rate is now under the BUSH tax cuts=35% --if the tax cuts would have expired the top rate would have been 39.6%. Clinton rates : 15% --28% --31%--36% and 39.6 %--Bush and present rates 10% --15%--25%--28%--33% and 35%.

Thank-you for the numbers. Nowhere near the 70% rate. If deficits are the enemy, slightly higher rates might be a good idea. "Oh but it will kill jobs!" Private sector is sitting on it's money. If they wanted to create jobs, they could and would. Has nothing to do with tax rates.

804brown

How do you figure that? Unions make up less than 10% of the workforce, and the nearly half of the country considers itself conservative? The sleeping giant was the one that was out voting in the last election, and believe me that momentum has not slowed down.

Red is right, labor didnt come out last Nov. But now they are awake. Thanks to that maroon corporate bought governor from Wisconsin. The recall has already begun.

804brown

Take away all the perks of your elected officials first. Take away all the public subsidies to the corporations in that state (aka tax cuts aka corp welfare) first. The wealthiest have seen their taxes lowered from 90% to 70% to 28% to 31% to 39.6% to 35% over the past 50 yrs. Time they start kicking in a bit more, why squeeze the middle class!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Cartoon%20-%20Democracy%20for%20Demmies%20-%20ALG%20%28600%29.jpg