rod

Retired 22 years
Years ago we had a local young gal ( she was like 21) win like 300 million in Powerball. The next day we had like 200 Next Day Air envelopes for her. I'm sure they were all from organizations or people wanting a handout. It got so bad she moved out of the low rent apartment and moved in with a friend. UPS was one of the few places who knew how to get in touch with her. She was VERY wise with her money -bought a nice house on the best lake in our area (and one for her parents). Other than that she kind of dropped off the face of the earth even though she is still around here part of the year. Just before she won all that money her boyfriend had broken up with her--now that was funny.

I'd keep coming to work until the check cleared and then I'd work from home doing minimum effort until they eventually fired me

I'd probably buy some property in the country, build a public rifle range and charge a pittance for entry, put my money into dividend stocks and live off that while DCAing into Bitcoin heavily

also donate to all my local politicians and sheriff to keep the govt off me

oldngray

nowhere special
gifdump_4631_03.gif

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Some thing to remember.
You can expect up to six months before one collects a big prize.
These multi-state lotteries all have to contribute their shares of the big prize, that is why there is a delay.
This delay gives a person (s) time to hire a lawyer and set up a team of experts to protect your new assets.
Have your lawyer set up a Blind Trust Fund { if your local lottery allows this }, let the lawyer go to Lottery HQ to claim the winnings.
This way you get to keep your sanity.
And be able to have some fun.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Some thing to remember.
You can expect up to six months before one collects a big prize.
These multi-state lotteries all have to contribute their shares of the big prize, that is why there is a delay.
This delay gives a person (s) time to hire a lawyer and set up a team of experts to protect your new assets.
Have your lawyer set up a Blind Trust Fund { if your local lottery allows this }, let the lawyer go to Lottery HQ to claim the winnings.
This way you get to keep your sanity.
And be able to have some fun.
Six months? We want our money now!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Six months? We want our money now!
Are you sure about that ?
JEFFREY DAMPIER, 2005
AMOUNT WON:
$20 million
AFTERMATH: It's common knowledge that nobody likes their in-laws. But Jeffrey Dampier's sister-in-law took it to a whole new level when she kidnapped and murdered Dampier in hopes of claiming his winnings.
WILLIAM "BUD" POST, 1988
AMOUNT WON:
$16.2 million
AFTERMATH: Things went to :censored2: real quick for Bud. Within two years of winning the lottery, Post would be sued by his girlfriend for a share of the money, have his brother arrested for hiring a hit man to kill him in hopes of getting the loot, and would even do a stretch in jail. Post now lives alone on food stamps. Talk about a family feud.
Let's not forget....Abraham Lee Shakespeare.
Won $30M in 2006, was murdered in 2009, found buried in a backyard under cement in 2010.
All the money was gone.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Are you sure about that ?
JEFFREY DAMPIER, 2005
AMOUNT WON:
$20 million
AFTERMATH: It's common knowledge that nobody likes their in-laws. But Jeffrey Dampier's sister-in-law took it to a whole new level when she kidnapped and murdered Dampier in hopes of claiming his winnings.
WILLIAM "BUD" POST, 1988
AMOUNT WON:
$16.2 million
AFTERMATH: Things went to :censored2: real quick for Bud. Within two years of winning the lottery, Post would be sued by his girlfriend for a share of the money, have his brother arrested for hiring a hit man to kill him in hopes of getting the loot, and would even do a stretch in jail. Post now lives alone on food stamps. Talk about a family feud.
Let's not forget....Abraham Lee Shakespeare.
Won $30M in 2006, was murdered in 2009, found buried in a backyard under cement in 2010.
All the money was gone.
20 million before taxes affords you a really comfortable upper middle class lifestyle but it's not unlimited funds.

How funny would it be if a billionaire won the lottery and blew it all for fun!