Survival Tips for Drivers? I am older & exhausted.

Brownwind

It is getting to the point now to where I am too exhausted to work the 55-60 hours/week driving job.

This issue did not arise until after 29 years with UPS (27+ years as a driver). I have never had a lost time injury.

It is not surprising that working so many hours for so many years would leave a person exhausted.

I need survival tips so that I can hang on another 5 years.
Don’t look at the numbers and look for something positive on your route to look forward to everyday. Remember why you are doing the job and what you pay for with the check.

OhShoot

Middle fingers up!!
My plan is to obviously go by the methods, work & drive safely. Get on that 9.5 *very quickly* and file (so as to encourage IE and the PDS to run more routes).

Obviously eat healthy, sleep, hydrate, manage stress, rest, remain mindful, have a good attitude, & pace oneself.

There’s probably not much other than that anyone can do.
Seems to me you've answered your own question...

Brownwind

All of our drivers with bid routes have a “max stop count” value that is often brought up when the driver sees his dispatch that day.

Honestly, I am in constant contact with our stewards. I don’t think I’m stepping on anybody’s toes.

The Age & Ability is in the (collective bargaining) contract.
Read article 37.
If you file remember most grievances are not resolved for quite a while. Many will give you advice on how to handle it but never actually follow up on it
My advice to surviving is take your breaks during the prescribed time and follow the methods. If your serious about this don’t do anything off the clock and protect your reputation and the shield on the side of your truck. Make your customers feel like they are the best thing that ever happened to you. You’re old enough to remember the old guard. Your customers will respond above anything you can imagine. Now pass the legacy.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Read article 37.
If you file remember most grievances are not resolved for quite a while. Many will give you advice on how to handle it but never actually follow up on it
My advice to surviving is take your breaks during the prescribed time and follow the methods. If your serious about this don’t do anything off the clock and protect your reputation and the shield on the side of your truck. Make your customers feel like they are the best thing that ever happened to you. You’re old enough to remember the old guard. Your customers will respond above anything you can imagine. Now pass the legacy.
‘Protect the shield’ something that a 35yr safe driver told me when he took me for my ride along before I started driving. Will forever be engrained into my ups career. Not many people practice this, nor will they in the future. The old breed of ups drivers are few and far between.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Having only breezed through this thread briefly, I think I have identified the problem here,

....nobody seems to be willing to tell @21_years_in what he/she wants to hear.

Reminds me of a dog I used to have that was neutered, but still tried to hump peoples legs.

PreTrippin’

I now walk into the wild
It is getting to the point now to where I am too exhausted to work the 55-60 hours/week driving job.

This issue did not arise until after 29 years with UPS (27+ years as a driver). I have never had a lost time injury.

It is not surprising that working so many hours for so many years would leave a person exhausted.

I need survival tips so that I can hang on another 5 years.
YOU WILL NEVER BE FEEDER! ✊✊✊

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
What a doofus.
Screenshot_20240722_000416_Chrome.jpg

Manifesto

I can see that me saying this made some people less than pleased:

“Maybe the reason I am getting such long days is because so many other people are on the 9.5 list!”

I apologize. I did not bring up 9.5 grievances.

Anyway, we could still get some survival tips on finishing the week (or day) as a driver when you are a worn out person?

I had already planned on going on the 9.5 if they pushed me too far. I currently have a bona fide Age & Ability max stop count for my unusually remote route (I also do EAMs). This was pretty cool because the BA and center manager negotiated it with ***me in the room gunning for the lowest possible number***.
What's the point of planning on going on the 9.5 if you (allegedly,) have been in on 5 times already and never filed once? They'll just be laughing at you in their offices and perhaps to your face.

Thebrownblob

37. No max stop count but consideration for your age.
What is consideration and how do you prove it? Should be very careful when you talk about somebody’s abilities having someone sent for a Fitness for duty if they claim they cannot do, the job would be a bad idea.

In this person’s instance, age is not the problem. It’s his unwillingness to make the company follow the 95 language and making side deals that is making his life miserable.