Babagounj

Strength through joy
oie_overlay.gif
Does "estimated" mean that the jackpot could be lower ?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I knew a guy that won 14 million. Got $565,000 a year after taxes.

Was standing at the mailbox every year waiting on his check. Spent every dime.

Last few years.... it went for hookers and coke. Last I heard, he was teaching golf in Florida.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
  • If the winner of Wednesday's $1.73B jackpot takes the lump sum they get $757M
  • By comparison, the winner of a $730M jackpot in 2021 got a lump sum of $550M
  • The advertised Powerball jackpot is what the prize money would yield in bonds
  • High interest rates mean bond yields are high and the jackpots are inflated
The explanation for this lies in how the full jackpot amount is calculated.

The amount advertised by the Powerball as being the jackpot is not the amount the lottery has in a prize pool and able to pay to the winner.

'The cash value is really what Powerball has on hand,' said Jared James, the founder Lotto Edge, which provides insights to various lotteries.

'All they're doing with the annuity is investing that money for you. So if interest rates are higher, they can put it in an investment that's going to yield a higher return than it would have a couple of years ago,' he said.

The advertised jackpot is therefore the amount that you would get if the prize pool was invested in a portfolio of Treasury bonds for 30 years.

As a result, each time chair of the Fed, Jerome Powell, raises interest rates and indirectly increases the yields on 30-year Treasury bonds, he is inadvertently increasing the size of lottery jackpots.

The terms of the annuity then dictate that the sum is paid to the winner in 30 annual payments, growing by 5 percent in size each year.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I knew a guy that won 14 million. Got $565,000 a year after taxes.

Was standing at the mailbox every year waiting on his check. Spent every dime.

Last few years.... it went for hookers and coke. Last I heard, he was teaching golf in Florida.
Imagine take home pay of nearly $11,000 each and every week and you are still broke?

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Wed, Oct 11, 2023​

Powerball JACKPOT WINNERS CA

Match 5 + Power Play $2 Million Winners AZ, PA

Match 5 $1 Million Winners CA (2), FL (2), NY, OK, VA

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Imagine take home pay of nearly $11,000 each and every week and you are still broke?

It was unbelievable to watch. Another good friend was his close compadre and had a double BA

in management and finance. The guy just didn't want to listen. He was fun to party with....

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns