Meaningless Fluff

oldngray

nowhere special
3684152_s1_i1.jpg

oldupsman

I had a truck with a bad heater that never got better than lukewarm no matter how many times I wrote it up. And in old P600's and P800's the heaters barely worked even on their best days.

Me too. Had an old "bullet" 400. Spent the entire winter having the doors closed and I could see my breath
in the cab all day. Had a big piece of cardboard in front of the radiator behind the grill just to get that much heat.
And how about the old 600's where the pedals came up through the floor. We used to stuff newspaper in the
floorboards so the cold wouldn't blow up your legs. I remember when the first new 500's came out. The floor was
solid and the pedals came down from above. Couldn't believe how lucky I was to get one. Incredible the junk we
used to drive.

oldngray

nowhere special
Me too. Had an old "bullet" 400. Spent the entire winter having the doors closed and I could see my breath
in the cab all day. Had a big piece of cardboard in front of the radiator behind the grill just to get that much heat.
And how about the old 600's where the pedals came up through the floor. We used to stuff newspaper in the
floorboards so the cold wouldn't blow up your legs. I remember when the first new 500's came out. The floor was
solid and the pedals came down from above. Couldn't believe how lucky I was to get one. Incredible the junk we
used to drive.

I used packing tape to try to plug the holes around the pedals and engine cowling.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
used to drive.

I had a GMC 500 on a rural route I ran for 7 years. I delivered to a guy that sold tape and packaging supplies, and every fall I'd ask him for a roll or two of duct tape (off his sample shelf, of course). I would tape around the engine cover and anyplace else I saw light coming through and put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator.

Man, that thing was toasty! Our mechanic always apologized when he had to tear the tape off, but I had enough every year to do it 2 or 3 times.

kingOFchester

used to drive.

I truly give you "long timers" credit for driving the trucks you drover and dealing with paper. A driver in my center still has the calluses on his finger from writing.

oldngray

nowhere special
Paper was easier in a lot of ways with the old 6 digit shipper numbers plus the 1-3 digit ID number. After everything changed to the long 1Z numbers paper became almost impossible.

rod

Retired 23 years
used to drive.

Making sure your radiator had a piece of cardboard in front of it was just part of the pre-trip. We also made sure we were had a bag or two of chicken grit to throw under the tires and a snow shovel in case we got stuck. Also we had to add a couple of cans of "Heat" to the gas tank on really cold days. We had a super mechanic who would install an auxiliary after market heater when he could get them. I still have a couple of them that I rescued out of the UPS dumpster one time before a big inspection.
I also remember "Safe Driving" parties that the company would throw for the drivers and their spouses at the fanciest place in town. In the early 70's they let you order anything off the menu and drinks were free ALL night long. Everyone (management and hourly alike) was smashed by the time we left those. Later on they would still have "Safe Driving" parties but they gave you about 3 items on the menu to chose from and gave everyone 4 drink tickets. If you appeared to be able to handle your liquor they would give you a couple more.

Notretiredyet

I'll always remember when they rolled out the DIAD at a meeting one morning. The IE guy had 10 boxes laid out on a table and challenged one of the older drivers to a race to show how much time we'd save using the DIAD compared to paper. The older driver wrote the six digit account number on a slashed line wrote 10 and handed it to the guy before he'd scanned one.

oldngray

nowhere special
I'll always remember when they rolled out the DIAD at a meeting one morning. The IE guy had 10 boxes laid out on a table and challenged one of the older drivers to a race to show how much time we'd save using the DIAD compared to paper. The older driver wrote the six digit account number on a slashed line wrote 10 and handed it to the guy before he'd scanned one.

They (at least at first) didn't try to claim the DIAD was faster, merely that it was "just as fast". It sure wasn't any faster with the old DIADs. What it really did was improve tracking and make office jobs easier.