Need your help on this one guys!

RoswellHub

My buddy up north has been issued 2 suspensions. One was for a no scan and another for not folding in his mirrors. The BA up there decided it was a great idea to settle it as two seperate one day suspension. I am trying to warn him the dangers of this, but I am just one dude on the internet. I am going to forward this message thread to him but he needs some tips. What would you do if you were in his shoes? Thanks!

Indecisi0n

Problem is if the company ever discharges him he has 2 suspensions on file already. I am sure they will try to get more suspensions to strengthen their case.
The BA can only do what you tell him to. If you don’t feel the suspensions are acceptable then tell him.

RoswellHub

I would, but he is not my BA, he is my friends who has never seen this go down before. He is almost better off just representing himself than take his BA advise

nWo

If management is going to suspend him for not folding in his mirrors then tell him to start folding in his mirrors.

oldngray

nowhere special
If management is going to suspend him for not folding in his mirrors then tell him to start folding in his mirrors.
Folding mirrors was an issue and they used to give out warning letters for it. It went away as UPS moved on to the next flavor of the month. I never heard of anyone getting suspended for it. It was one of those silly ideas from someone who sits in an office all day. Mostly used for harassment than for anything else.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So, if you have the foward extra side windows, always adjust driver's side mirrors so, in or out, they are sticking out. You push the mirror arm all the way foward then adjust so the truck side of mirror is just at the forward edge of window. Drives ojs sup crazy.

Fuzzy Brown

If the mirror warning was from an on area observation that should have been protested, I protest all on area observations.
As far as the no scan if they can’t locate the package and prove he missed the scan they can’t prove it was ever on the car.
There must be more to the story, I don’t see suspension for those two incidents.

RoswellHub

If the mirror warning was from an on area observation that should have been protested, I protest all on area observations.
As far as the no scan if they can’t locate the package and prove he missed the scan they can’t prove it was ever on the car.
There must be more to the story, I don’t see suspension for those two incidents.
Well the problem is he has a BA that is kinda :censored2:. The company can issue discipline for whatever they please. It is their company. But it would never hold at panel. When it comes down to it the punishment doesn't fit the crime. If that happened in our local we would just settle the grievance as "grievance stands in protest" and take it to panel. We would NEVER settle anything that stupid as a one day suspension.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Problem is if the company ever discharges him he has 2 suspensions on file already. I am sure they will try to get more suspensions to strengthen their case.

I’d fight the folding in of mirrors as unsafe end of range motion
Good way to pull something in your shoulder

Integrity

Binge Poster
My buddy up north has been issued 2 suspensions. One was for a no scan and another for not folding in his mirrors. The BA up there decided it was a great idea to settle it as two seperate one day suspension. I am trying to warn him the dangers of this, but I am just one dude on the internet. I am going to forward this message thread to him but he needs some tips. What would you do if you were in his shoes? Thanks!
What does his Steward say about this?

RoswellHub

What does his Steward say about this?
I think the steward is just following the BA because he doesn't know any better. But the BA has had a ton of complaints on him. One of the biggest being he settled all the 9.5s last year as non payment due to Covid being an "act of god"

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
there really isn't. It is the company coming down hard on everything right now. Mostly safety observations.

The question I have is did the company follow progressive discipline?

If they didn't give a written warning before the suspension, then these, or any further discipline could be thrown out.

I believe the idea as treating each as a separate 1 day suspension goes along the lines of progressive discipline for each type of infraction. If the company tried to lump the two together under failure to follow instructions, then dicipline could progress further towards termination. I'll have to double check the language, but it is my understanding that the company has to do progressive discipline for each different infraction. So, your buddy would have to have multiple no scans, or multiple failure to fold in mirrors, in order to move to the next level of discipline.

I think the BA was right, assuming the company actually followed progressive discipline in order to get to suspension. If they didn't, then these should be written warnings.

Progressive Discipline steps should be outlined in the regional supplement under grievance procedures/machinery.