NFL Boycott - Will FedEx Peak be easier...in current events?

MAKAVELI

Living in the suburbs and having a smaller than normal white majority population of residents in town in still cookie cutter suburbia.
If facing racism, discrimination , poverty, and high crime rate is cookie cutter, then you are correct.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Just when the issue was starting to become a nonissue with the press moving on Pence cooks up this piece of grandstanding. The reporters were told to stay in place and the motorcade was instructed to standby with their engines running. Look for Corker and Kasich to launch primary challenges in 2020. Pence will want to launch a presidential campaign but hopefully he will come to the realization that he hitched his political horse to the wrong wagon and will pack it in. Granted I'm not an expert in the field but given Trump's increasingly erratic behavior the prospect of early stage dementia has to be on the thoughts of an increasing number of Americans.
Not grandstanding, just setting a good example for patriotic Americans, vs. idiotic americans.

bacha29

Not grandstanding, just setting a good example for patriotic Americans, vs. idiotic americans.
Public demonstrations of patriotic symbolism is no measurement of a person's commitment to the principles and ideals of this nation . A clear example can be found in the manner in which the survivors of WWII returned to the states. All they wanted to do was to put the war behind them and return to civilian life. Furthermore such displays of patriotic symbolism are used to try to cover up deep rooted and festering issues such as was the case with the Vietnam War when Nixon's so called "silent majority" was out parading around in support of him and his prosecution of the war at a time when the Pentagon, Congress, most of the people in the parade as well as Nixon himself knew that the war itself was already lost but nevertheless he used those poor stupid people to further his political ambitions.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Then why did three quarters of the fans not follow out the front gate?
Maybe because they're idiots. The act of protest promulgated by those who participated in dishonoring our national symbols is dishonest at best. The time, place, and focal point of the protests are misplaced and disingenuous. I do not criticize their intentions to bring attention to injustice. But spitting into the face of that which symbolizes America and what we stand for wreaked a response that overshadowed what they were trying to accomplish, and most of them had no idea of what that was.
Experience what the rest of the world suffers before trying to tear down what America actually offers. And choose your desecrations a little more intelligently.

vantexan

They'll be back next week too.
Yes and the U.S. has become a much better place since the protests started. Police no longer do anything bad, poverty is way down, jobs in the inner city are way up, people actually cheer when the players take a knee.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes and the U.S. has become a much better place since the protests started. Police no longer do anything bad, poverty is way down, jobs in the inner city are way up, people actually cheer when the players take a knee.
It's become a topic of conversation.

Congrats on catching on to what the protests are about. According to most conservatives, they are only about disrespecting the flag and soldiers.

Downwardspiral

No, we aren't. Whether you'll admit it or not, folks like you are always quick to point out even the smallest of negatives from "their" side while turning a blind eye to all the 500lb gorillas in the room on your own. Next time you want to rip the vice president, or whoever, for stopping off in his own state where he was governor, even if it was a political stunt, try to remember it's a drop in the bucket compared to what has gone on before. It's not good optics considering Tom Price was just forced out for living high on the hog. But no one in the mainstream Press ever questioned the previous administration on such things. When the Obama's went on vacation it was always treated like a Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous segment with everyone so giddy over their every move.
Yes, we are. I commented on it simply because you didn't seem to grasp the economic difference between Pence's actions and Congress performing a similar stunt. I agree there has been great amounts of financial waste in the past, but continuing that trend isn't fixing anything. As far as "my side", I don't think there has been a decent president in a very long time. Our political system has become a long running joke played on the american people. To claim that there wasn't any negative coverage of Obama (or Clinton for that matter) is bordering ignorance. Perhaps you could consider broadening your news sources. This is the problem lately, everyone is so reactionary. We automatically go on defense/offense when someone knocks on our echo chambers. People don't have debates or discussions any longer, only arguments. No one tries to listen to and understand.

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe because they're idiots. The act of protest promulgated by those who participated in dishonoring our national symbols is dishonest at best. The time, place, and focal point of the protests are misplaced and disingenuous. I do not criticize their intentions to bring attention to injustice. But spitting into the face of that which symbolizes America and what we stand for wreaked a response that overshadowed what they were trying to accomplish, and most of them had no idea of what that was.
Experience what the rest of the world suffers before trying to tear down what America actually offers. And choose your desecrations a little more intelligently.
Y'all had NOTHING to say until the Donald gave you your marching orders. I think you're probably not nearly as offended by the protests as you think you are.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Y'all had NOTHING to say until the Donald gave you your marching orders. I think you're probably not nearly as offended by the protests as you think you are.
So, you agree that the protest isn't about societal injustices. It's a protest of Trump, and his inflammatory rhetoric. Like I said earlier, disingenuous.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They'll be back next week too.
Don't count on that.
I averaged going to Braves' games a dozen times a year prior to the 1994 strike.
I have been 2 times since 1994 and that was to take relatives who wanted to go to the Ted.
I doubt I will ever go to Suntrust stadium although I have been to the Coca-Cola Roxy for a couple concerts.
There are several really good restaurants just outside the gate.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm not offended at all.
If their employers are OK with it, so am I.
Not going to make me start watching pro football again unless I develop an interest.
I'm more of a player than a spectator.

bbsam

Staff member
Don't count on that.
I averaged going to Braves' games a dozen times a year prior to the 1994 strike.
I have been 2 times since 1994 and that was to take relatives who wanted to go to the Ted.
I doubt I will ever go to Suntrust stadium although I have been to the Coca-Cola Roxy for a couple concerts.
There are several really good restaurants just outside the gate.
I can count on it because the stadiums continue to fill week after week.

I get you though. I used to race home every day to see the Cubs get clobbered. Absolutely loved baseball. Then one year (I think a strike year or something) I just couldn't watch it anymore. Didn't watch another game for literally decades. Only watched the World Series last year. But boy, I'll tell ya, I was hanging on every pitch Hendricks threw and losing my mind every time Baez refused to lay off that high inside crap.

I seriously could be hooked right back into it given the right circumstances.

bbsam

Staff member
So, you agree that the protest isn't about societal injustices. It's a protest of Trump, and his inflammatory rhetoric. Like I said earlier, disingenuous.
Incorrect. The protests came first. Trump and the bandwagon showed up a couple weeks ago. But you knew that already.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Incorrect. The protests came first. Trump and the bandwagon showed up a couple weeks ago. But you knew that already.
Kaepernick came first, with a small supporting cast. The inflammatory protests came after Trump's inflammatory suggestion. Ergo, they were a protest of Trump. But you knew that already.

bbsam

Staff member
Kaepernick came first, with a small supporting cast. The inflammatory protests came after Trump's inflammatory suggestion. Ergo, they were a protest of Trump. But you knew that already.
More than Kaep. And I don't have a problem with more deciding to stand against a president that attacks their freedom of expression.

bbsam

Staff member
Explain to me what the inflammatory protests were? Did they spit on the flag? Throw it down and stomp on it? Light it on fire?

Or is it that they disobeyed the president? Is that what makes it inflammatory?