Nothingness Fluff ,part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod

Retired 23 years
Okay.. so somehow...my dumb :censored2: lost my wallet yesterday. Looked everywhere....it's gone...I mustve left it in the store and someone took it. Thankfully...I only had a couple of bucks in it...and no one used my debit or credit cards before I calld to cancel them.

My conundrum is this....my license was in the wallet...so I now have no photo ID whatsoever.....and I also have a non refundable plane ticket for a flight on Aug 30th. Now, I can go to the DMV first thing Monday morning after work and get a paper temporary....but what happens if I don't get my new license in the mail before my flight??

Take every form of ID you have with you to the airport (picture ID'S work best). Student ID cards (even if they are 20 years old, military cards, library cards -----If you have a passport be sure to take that. Good luck.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Okay.. so somehow...my dumb :censored2: lost my wallet yesterday. Looked everywhere....it's gone...I mustve left it in the store and someone took it. Thankfully...I only had a couple of bucks in it...and no one used my debit or credit cards before I calld to cancel them.

My conundrum is this....my license was in the wallet...so I now have no photo ID whatsoever.....and I also have a non refundable plane ticket for a flight on Aug 30th. Now, I can go to the DMV first thing Monday morning after work and get a paper temporary....but what happens if I don't get my new license in the mail before my flight??

Is NY DMV that slow?

Here, I would just go to a photo center with the proper proof and walk out with a new license.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
but what happens if I don't get my new license in the mail before my flight??
It gets a little tricky at that point. You can still board your flight. But what they are going to do is run you through a couple databases to confirm you are who you say you are. You're kind of at their mercy at that point.

Personally if I was in that situation and didn't have my passport I would bring a birth certificate, and photo ids from a couple different places if you have them such as a UPS ID or anything like that.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Is NY DMV that slow?

Here, I would just go to a photo center with the proper proof and walk out with a new license.
When I lived out east it wasn't out of the norm to sit at the DMV for 3 hours just to get looked at.

Here I walked in and walked out with a new ID in 6 minutes.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Is NY DMV that slow?

They give you a temporary while they process and mail you the new one from Albany. I dont remember how long it took when I renewed it on my birthday last year....because Ididn't need it by a specific date then.

oldngray

nowhere special
It gets a little tricky at that point. You can still board your flight. But what they are going to do is run you through a couple databases to confirm you are who you say you are. You're kind of at their mercy at that point.

Personally if I was in that situation and didn't have my passport I would bring a birth certificate, and photo ids from a couple different places if you have them such as a UPS ID or anything like that.

My sister went on a cruise once and forgot her passport. I sent it NDA to the travel agent in Miami so it would be there when she got back to port. It ended up she didn't need it that time and didn't even go to pick up her passport because it was in a bad part of the city. She wasn't sure whether she would need her passport though so wanted it there just in case.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
My sister went on a cruise once and forgot her passport. I sent it NDA to the travel agent in Miami so it would be there when she got back to port. It ended up she didn't need it that time and didn't even go to pick up her passport because it was in a bad part of the city. She wasn't sure whether she would need her passport though so wanted it there just in case.
They've gotten a lot more strict about it the last couple of years. I'm not familiar with stuff on the ground, but I know you can't cross anywhere to/from the US by air without a passport. They won't even let you board.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

I dont have a UPS ID now....it was in my wallet....and if memory serves...they used a photocopy of my drivers license pic to make my last UPS ID. I do have my birth certificate....and while I dont have my SS card...I know my SS #

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Wow.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I dont have a UPS ID now....it was in my wallet....and if memory serves...they used a photocopy of my drivers license pic to make my last UPS ID. I do have my birth certificate....and while I dont have my SS card...I know my SS #
Your DMV doesn't print your liscense right there?

This isn't 1990

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I dont have a UPS ID....and if memory serves...they used a photocopy of my drivers license pic to make my last UPS ID. I do have a copy of my birth certificate....and while I dont have my SS card...I know my SS #
I honestly think you may be okay with just that. But it wouldn't hurt to call your airline and just ask. They may be able to make a note in their reservation system to let the agents know.

This is what the TSA says on the subject
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids .

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
They've gotten a lot more strict about it the last couple of years. I'm not familiar with stuff on the ground, but I know you can't cross anywhere to/from the US by air without a passport. They won't even let you board.
So Frigid....worse case scernario....I can still board my flight?

Status
Not open for further replies.