Nothingness Fluff ,part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
tried a position like that once before. I just can't get into a job enough to do it. Years ago I started off wanting more of a career, until I realized I don't want to turn something I enjoy doing into work. Anymore it's nothing more than that to me; a job. Simply a means to fund my real life that starts as soon as I punch out.
It's normal for me. I grew up in a surrounding like that. Every night my dad was on the phone with someone overseas. Had more than 1 vacation where a parent hopped out in the middle because something came up. My parents constantly travel, that just seems normal to me. The only change with this is I will be home every night.

I tried 3 separate times----each time I was told there was a hiring freeze.

I'm starting to think that they just didn't want me. :(
200w.gif

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
It's not a union thing but you couldn't pay me enough to go into management.
I love the strategy of it. There's so much planning to execute a plan efficiently. Sure there is plenty of crap that goes along with it, but you're going to have that with any job. You guys get stuck working in the rain, snow, cold, and heat. My job is all about numbers, planning, and working with different kinds of people. There's downfalls of each.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Is it fair that they were promoted without a degree and are now held back because they changed the rules on them?
It is my experience and belief that UPS put that qualifier in place close to 20 years ago.
They have made it known loud and clear since then that if you do not have a degree, get one if you want to be promoted.
Rules get changed every day.
Most management is expected to keep their degree "current" and "viable".
That means lots of reading, classes and certification - all on one's on time.

UPS "discovered" it was a lot cheaper to hire people with the skills than to educate them - probably in the early 90's.
Prior to that UPS was known for internal on-going continuing education.
That is practically non-existent now except for legal risk-management training.

I love the strategy of it. There's so much planning to execute a plan efficiently. Sure there is plenty of crap that goes along with it, but you're going to have that with any job. You guys get stuck working in the rain, snow, cold, and heat. My job is all about numbers, planning, and working with different kinds of people. There's downfalls of each.
My soul doesn't have a price tag

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I tried 3 separate times----each time I was told there was a hiring freeze.

I'm starting to think that they just didn't want me. :(
With someone like you, being the best driver in the center, and offering advice to all the other drivers ... they see they are getting both positions filled with just you as a driver.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
It's normal for me. I grew up in a surrounding like that. Every night my dad was on the phone with someone overseas. Had more than 1 vacation where a parent hopped out in the middle because something came up. My parents constantly travel, that just seems normal to me. The only change with this is I will be home every night.
And it's a good thing we do have people who enjoy or are willing to do those kind jobs or else we'd all be screwed on a global scale in one way or another.

But, I'm sure as hell not one of them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is my experience and belief that UPS put that qualifier in place close to 20 years ago.
They have made it known loud and clear since then that if you do not have a degree, get one if you want to be promoted.
Rules get changed every day.
Most management is expected to keep their degree "current" and "viable".
That means lots of reading, classes and certification - all on one's on time.

UPS "discovered" it was a lot cheaper to hire people with the skills than to educate them - probably in the early 90's.
Prior to that UPS was known for internal on-going continuing education.
That is practically non-existent now except for legal risk-management training.

I think the medical field is one of the few remaining that still offers CE.

Status
Not open for further replies.