Nothingness Fluff ,part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I knew traffic control was dated but I thought the avionics in planes were much more up to date.
Avionics vary by aircraft. Planes like the 777, A320, 787, and A350 are insanely advanced. But planes like the CRJ-200 and even the 737 aren't very advanced. But still pretty amazing.

The ground IT structure though, yikes. The found a system that works and just keep editing it. They're basically putting band aids on it until the day it finally is just cooked. Building a new infrastructure will cost billions, the airlines would rather sink that into planes or new interiors than IT.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Avionics and IT are completely independent of one another.
Not really anymore. Things like flight plans and load planning are uploaded from the ground. Even maintenance information is uploaded by the avionics to servers on the ground for analysis. Rolls Royce for example has an engineering center where they monitor their aircraft engines from around the world in real time.

Johney

Pineapple King
I can only speak for myself, but this was one thread I could enjoy that WAS free of one particular member. I see now maybe it's not a waste of bandwidth once proclaimed.
Enjoy your thread I've.

oldngray

nowhere special
Avionics vary by aircraft. Planes like the 777, A320, 787, and A350 are insanely advanced. But planes like the CRJ-200 and even the 737 aren't very advanced. But still pretty amazing.

The ground IT structure though, yikes. The found a system that works and just keep editing it. They're basically putting band aids on it until the day it finally is just cooked. Building a new infrastructure will cost billions, the airlines would rather sink that into planes or new interiors than IT.

I remember when the best computers that were space rated for NASA were 386's. This was after Pentiums were being sold to home consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.