Oz vs Vairma

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I could be wrong but I believe supplemental agreements and riders are done by a different committees. Don't know if Vairma would even have a position.

I understand what you are saying.. but as General President .. He would the be only one that can make that decision...

Jlandry

It is bad to play politics during a contract. The contract is about the Members not about someones political aspirations.

Ever wonder why most supplemental agreements/local riders have no language or very little about 22.4s? Because they were too busy playing politics to actually sit down and make sure their members were protected in case the national passed.
Exactly

Jlandry

I know you and @Jlandry are from the Western.

Any thoughts on why the “Ohio Rider supplement” in the Central was not put up for vote by the rank and file in 2018?

What would Vairma’s position be if that occurred again?
Several of the OZ crew were vp’s at negotiation time to include Tony Jones and others. Now they are all the sudden going to fix everything. Also, several OZ people were on all the negotiating committees. Don’t buy in to the lies they are feeding you. Educate yourselves.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I know you and @Jlandry are from the Western.

Any thoughts on why the “Ohio Rider supplement” in the Central was not put up for vote by the rank and file in 2018?

What would Vairma’s position be if that occurred again?
I don't think @Jlandry is in the west. Think he's in the East.

Don't know why the Ohio Rider wasn't opened for negotiations. @Bubblehead would know more about that than me.

I will say it makes no sense. Seems they just didn't want to be bothered.
@542thruNthru you already answered @DELACROIX question....

....the Ohio Rider wasn't voted on in 2018 because it wasn't opened by the Union or the Company, so there was
nothing to vote on.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Several of the OZ crew were vp’s at negotiation time to include Tony Jones and others. Now they are all the sudden going to fix everything. Also, several OZ people were on all the negotiating committees. Don’t buy in to the lies they are feeding you. Educate yourselves.
Was Tony Jones appointed by Hoffa to the UPS National Negotiating Committee in 2018?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I understand what you are saying.. but as General President .. He would the be only one that can make that decision...
The decision not to open the Ohio Rider? I don't know if that's accurate. Again I'd have to defer to @Bubblehead on that one.
I would think the Ohio Conference Chairman would have a lot to say about whether or not the Ohio Rider was to be opened or not, but honestly I am not sure???

....but in hindsight, knowing what happened in the last two election cycles in regards to rejected contracts, supplements and riders being imposed (even when voted down), why would anybody chose to open it absent a glaring need?

542thruNthru

I would think the Ohio Conference Chairman would have a lot to say about whether or not the Ohio Rider was to be opened or not, but honestly I am not sure???

....but in hindsight, knowing what happened in the last two election cycles in regards to rejected contracts, supplements and riders being imposed (even when voted down), why would anybody chose to open it absent a glaring need?
I can see what you mean. Opening it opens a chance that something else bad can be put in but at the same time every little thing that needs improved language doesn't get fixed either.

Personally my mindset is.
You can't make the shots you don't take.

DELACROIX

I can see what you mean. Opening it opens a chance that something else bad can be put in but at the same time every little thing that needs improved language doesn't get fixed either.

Personally my mindset is.
You can't make the shots you don't take.

If the members affected cannot even vote on the rider (good or bad) what does that say to the rest of our membership.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If the members affected cannot even vote on the rider (good or bad) what does that say to the rest of our membership.
The Ohio Rider was voted on and ratified when it was last opened and negotiated in 2013 (on the third attempt).

Why would it be subject to a vote again in 2018 if it wasn't opened or renegotiated?

542thruNthru

How many layers of contractual language do you think is necessary?

My local is governed by four on this list in small package alone.

Mine has 4 also. I like layers. It's come in handy for us many times. Especially when it comes to workday workweek, break/meals and 22.4s

DELACROIX

The Ohio Rider was voted on and ratified when it was last opened and negotiated in 2013 (on the third attempt).

Why would it be subject to a vote again in 2018 if it wasn't opened or renegotiated?

@Bubblehead ..I do not have the knowledge base you have, can you define “opened”. Was there any formal negotiations over any of the Ohio Rider language, or did both sides decided to skip it.

The Rider still exists so it was not nullified.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Mine has 4 also. I like layers. It's come in handy for us many times. Especially when it comes to workday workweek, break/meals and 22.4s
So we are bargaining "collectively",....and "autonomously",....on numerous regional and local levels, under a "National Master Agreement"???

Sounds like the definition of an oxymoron to me.

It's no wonder we can't all get together, which is the only thing that will make it all work in the end.

542thruNthru

So we are bargaining "collectively",....and "autonomously",....on numerous regional and local levels, under a "National Master Agreement"???

Sounds like the definition of an oxymoron to me.

It's no wonder we can't all get together, which is the only thing that will make it all work in the end.
Problem is too many areas don't want someone putting their spoon in their pot. It's politics if you ask me. If we all came together many people would lose power.

If we can't even get our pensions together I highly doubt will ever be under one contract.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
@Bubblehead ..I do not have the knowledge base you have, can you define “opened”. Was there any formal negotiations over any of the Ohio Rider language, or did both sides decided to skip it.

The Rider still exists so it was not nullified.
Per labor law, either side has to petition (for lack of the actual legal term) to "open" the agreement (contract) to be renegotiated....

....otherwise the agreement remains in effect (letters of record and memorandums of understandings included) until the next applicable cycle concludes.

If the Ohio Rider was not renegotiated (which it wasn't in 2018, they skipped it), then it would not need to be re-voted legally in accordance with the National Labor Relations Act of 1935 and The Taft-Hartley Act etc.

Last edited: