Peak 2017

It will be fine

I don't know if this is true, but I trust the source.

An Express guy quit to take another job. It didn't work out and he went to Ground to wait until there was another opening at Express. Ground contractor told him he'd be on a route like the one you described for a week, then he'd be in town. Three weeks later the driver told him, "If you don't take me off that route next week I'll drive to the furthest point and just leave the truck and packages." The following Monday he was still on the route. Didn't say anything to the owner. Did exactly what he said he'd do. Came back to the building (his wife went and picked him up) and told the owner, "I keep my promises. The truck is on such-and-such road [nearly 2 hours away]. The keys are above the visor. And you know the bulkhead door doesn't lock. Good luck."

I would have paid $100 to have witnessed that.
Sounds like a real piece of garbage person. Works for a company for 3 weeks and thinks he can dictate what route he runs. What a loser.

bbsam

Staff member
I had a guy wait til he let the building with a full truck to text me asking for a raise. I responded that the raise would be a bonus based on attendance and safety. (Safety was excellent, attendance, so-so.) That was considered rude and he drove the truck back and quit.

Every now and then I text him letting him know that I keep hearing he wants to come back

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!

An Express guy quit to take another job. It didn't work out and he went to Ground to wait until there was another opening at Express. Ground contractor told him he'd be on a route like the one you described for a week, then he'd be in town. Three weeks later the driver told him, "If you don't take me off that route next week I'll drive to the furthest point and just leave the truck and packages." The following Monday he was still on the route. Didn't say anything to the owner. Did exactly what he said he'd do. Came back to the building (his wife went and picked him up) and told the owner, "I keep my promises. The truck is on such-and-such road [nearly 2 hours away]. The keys are above the visor. And you know the bulkhead door doesn't lock. Good luck."

I want that guy! Just for the sake of having balls bigger than the ones I need a wheel barrow for.

Serf

Just from reading, and some travel, been my experience that people who want to come to the U.S. do so for opportunities, and some by what they see in the movies. But most would prefer to live in their home country if they could provide decently for their families there. People worldwide take great pride in their ethnicity and culture. It's why so many when they do come to the U.S. tend to congregate in their own neighborhoods. As a Jamaican friend told me, the U.S. is great for work, but not for living. That's just an opinion, life is what we make it. But when a country is this expensive it gets difficult to make it.
Agree. This is extremely magnified in the tri state. Spend an afternoon in Certain parts of Queens, NYC. You'll swear your in another country.

Serf

My idea of "live my life" is that I'm not on the hook for the healthcare expenses of every Tom, Dick, and Harry that doesn't take care of himself and is under no obligation to use healthcare resources wisely.
Right?! 1/3 of the country is pre diabetic.

Serf

Only been a few places wa,or,id,mt,mo,oh,nv,British Columbia,Spain. Never been to any resorts. Unless you call Roche harbor a resort. If nobody tells of better places to live, I will never go experience it myself. Thanks for nothing people.
How was Spain?
In the simplest of terms I could describe all these places one would see on television. But we're not talking about exotic. We're talking about places that out do the States. Abstaining from politics, if you categorize most rank and file Americans as working class or middle class. Then compare tax brackets, university costs, town/city taxes, medical costs, insurance costs, tolls, fees, rules, regulations, guidelines, wages, raises. Etc. One can easily come to the conclusion that they are not getting as much as many other countries provide in the form of social services.
Student loans are predatory debts that put a stranglehold on your future. Yet they are necessary to get almost any decent job. However, ANYONE can attend university now, even if they aren't "college material."
The housing and mortgage industry is artificially inflated, never fully recovered, and still folks aren't rushing out to get subprime loans.
I would recommend Ireland or South Korea as pristine places to live and work. Quality of life, taxes, wages, medical, infrastructure, etc. Even more Specifically Shannon, IR. And Inchon, SK.
To add contrast, a place I would stay far away from is Kuwait. Absolutely zero middle class. Only wealthy families and a massive slave like under class, poor peasants and migrant workers from Africa and Phillipines. Oppressive heat temperatures and ridiculous micro managing type laws.

bacha29

That's not surprising. Even today you have contractors out there still trying to cover an area the size of most European nations and most are low revenue producing areas. The result is that it's impossible to keep the workday within the confines of a reasonable day's toil and effort as well as pay enough to keep somebody on that route.if you're fortunate enough to be in a densely populated area experiencing explosive growth you're odds of survival as a contractor are much higher. At the same time X Ground is a nationwide carrier. In fact in my state 60+% of it's population live in towns of less than 5000 people.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yikes, I've seen stuff like this happen every peak... the "circus phase"

But, y did he take that route to begin with???

He should have network in that terminal to find which subcontractor has service areas near his home & also ask if he can take the delivery car straight home when done.(HD doesn't have to bring pickups in until the next morning during the "vehicle service audit")

SmithBarney

Yeah, the rest of us have a conference call scheduled for those Q1 results and I KNOW I'M WORRIED TO DEATH about missing those estimates.
SELL SELL SELL! After such an awesome RECORD BREAKING PEAK, they have to make it look like we lost money(didn't hit projections) somehow, they will blame the TNT computer HACK,aquisition of TNT, and Healthcare costs for cutting into the bottom line.

Oldfart

SELL SELL SELL! After such an awesome RECORD BREAKING PEAK, they have to make it look like we lost money(didn't hit projections) somehow, they will blame the TNT computer HACK,aquisition of TNT, and Healthcare costs for cutting into the bottom line.
Why would you sell? If estimates are not met, stock goes down. You BUY BUY BUY and when it goes up, you SELL SELL SELL.

The best way to make money is "Buy low, sell high"

bacha29

Won't be able to blame it on purchased transportation to cover peak at Ground. They send the bill to the contractors.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Boss ordered another truck today, condensing what we have and hiring a driver. My job went from easy to the former easier. That's how we roll. Half a truck on the new guy going into peak with 2 people available to endure anything that comes down the belt. By the time the new guy is up to speed on the scanner and our expectations, peak will be a breeze once again.
Prior Planning Prevents Pizz Poor Performance.

OrioN

I'm glad u found a suck... errr... supplemental drivers for this peak early in the game. That's the way it should be but around my area, they're slow to hire because with HD, it should only take a week to get up to speed... in optimal conditions

But, they have to endure cold snow icy conditions with darkness falling earlier this time of year on top of getting used to driving a rental box truck. When I get the chance to train another greenhorn, I make sure that they get the powerpad functions right away by day 3...

I'm on a 8 route belt line that explodes into 22 by peak season... I hope they can gather that many by November, but I'm not holding my breath.

bacha29

I'm glad u found a suck... errr... supplemental drivers for this peak early in the game. That's the way it should be but around my area, they're slow to hire because with HD, it should only take a week to get up to speed... in optimal conditions

But, they have to endure cold snow icy conditions with darkness falling earlier this time of year on top of getting used to driving a rental box truck. When I get the chance to train another greenhorn, I make sure that they get the powerpad functions right away by day 3...

I'm on a 8 route belt line that explodes into 22 by peak season... I hope they can gather that many by November, but I'm not holding my breath.
Good point Orion. Remember it's a contractor problem that requires a contractor solution. Go in every morning throw some boxes on and go for a ride. If your contractor boss tries to dump his problems onto you just say...."hey, I'm organic not metallic. I'm a mortal not a machine. Take a number have a seat. I'll get to you".

OrioN

Good point Orion. Remember it's a contractor problem that requires a contractor solution. Go in every morning throw some boxes on and go for a ride. If your contractor boss tries to dump his problems onto you just say...."hey, I'm organic not metallic. I'm a mortal not a machine. Take a number have a seat. I'll get to you".

Yeah, bacha, I'm just trying to get someone up to 3 supplemental s in my immediate area to come on board... it's the manager or BA/BC that has to try to get more help for the others on my belt line.

I don't mind bricking out to max capacity since I'm now stress free with area knowledge of the rural route.

It's the newcomers that will have to endure. This season is gonna be worse weather wise... so there's gonna be more quitters like what Jim experienced last 2 years ago

bacha29

Yeah, bacha, I'm just trying to get someone up to 3 supplemental s in my immediate area to come on board... it's the manager or BA/BC that has to try to get more help for the others on my belt line.

I don't mind bricking out to max capacity since I'm now stress free with area knowledge of the rural route.

It's the newcomers that will have to endure. This season is gonna be worse weather wise... so there's gonna be more quitters like what Jim experienced last 2 years ago
Just remember Buddy. With the mail RD stands for rural delivery. With us it stands for rightfully delayed. They're out there because they choose to be not because they have to be. And if you can't truck it..... well you know which 4 letter word the FCC won't allow on the air that rimes with truck