President Obama!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
If you so desire a European Healthcare System then start reading things like
Home | Mail Online
The stories posted there about this will make you sick .
One that has happened quite frequently is for patients to call ( their version of 911 ) just to have some one give them a drink of water .

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
american flag companies.jpg
american flag companies.jpg

wkmac

Prior to the modern welfare state and consumer society, the concept of mutual aid in some forms were quite popular. Churches and local organizations addressed both welfare and healthcare needs often across the strata of society. But another popular approach were the mutual aid societies of Fraternal Organizations. Before a top down state approach to society's problems became the norm, how did our Great Grandfathers and their fathers approach these problems?

Many of them may well have been involved and maybe even strong advocates of autonomous Mutual Aid of Fraternal Organization. As a side point, our own union could serve itself well to begin to consider and re-capture some of these ideas and methods.

But fraternal orders (which also included women’s organizations) were an enormous social force among American working people in the first half of the 20th Century—nearly as significant as labor unions. Also known as mutual aid societies, their defining features were “an autonomous system of lodges, a democratic form of internal government, a ritual, and the provision of mutual aid for members and their families.”(2) Fraternal orders were astonishingly diverse, self-selecting their members by geography, ethnicity, religion, or, like the Odd Fellows, nearly no criteria at all except “good character.” When the movement peaked in the early 1930s, fraternal orders had as many as thirty five million members. The biggest order, the Masons, claimed over twelve percent of all white American adults as initiates, as well as a fair—if segregated—percentage of black males.

The orders provided a powerful demonstration that mutual aid could serve as an alternative method for organizing a complex modern society. And at least in embryo, they had the potential to supplant the government-run social-services system that evolved during the New Deal (and is now under attack from the right ) with a decentralized, democratically run model that tied local mutual aid societies together in loose, cooperative national confederations. Undoubtedly, few lodge brothers or sisters ever thought of themselves as social revolutionaries. But their project made them fellow travelers of a sort, unwittingly providing a rebuke to free-market theorists who asserted that only an economic model built around corporate competition—not cooperation—could adequately provide for its members’ needs.

The basic purpose of the orders was to enable working people to pool their financial resources to supply each other with essentials that the state and the capitalists would not, including life insurance, pensions, cradle-to-grave medical care, and homes and schools for destitute family members. Members paid dues, usually modest, to support these services, which sometimes included their own hospitals, clinics, orphanages, and schools. And unlike private employers, the orders fought hard and usually succeeded in keeping their promises to their members even when times were bad.

The Legacy of the Lodges: Mutual Aid and Consumer Society

wkmac

Darn it , and I thought most joined those places for the cheap beer .

Pretty much thought the same thing but got some eye opening knowledge when I dug deeper and started reading about such efforts. Even Dorothy Day and the Catholic Worker Movement are worth the read and study. I think any approach that is bottom up as opposed to top down is worth consideration and study. I may not agree with all points but the fact that all seemed based on free association and voluntary make them appealing on that basis alone.

Overpaid Union Thug

My sister's employer recently cut their hours and staff drastically as a result of ObamaCare. She went from having a full-time job to barely part-time. Needless to say she is no fan of ObamaCare. Never was actually.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
(NYTIMES) — President Obama urged law schools on Friday to consider cutting a year of classroom instruction, wading into a hotly debated issue inside the beleaguered legal academy.
“This is probably controversial to say, but what the heck. I am in my second term, so I can say it,” Mr. Obama said at a town hall-style meeting at Binghamton University in New York. “I believe that law schools would probably be wise to think about being two years instead of three years.”

Spoken like true non working lawyer .

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
(NYTIMES) — President Obama urged law schools on Friday to consider cutting a year of classroom instruction, wading into a hotly debated issue inside the beleaguered legal academy.
“This is probably controversial to say, but what the heck. I am in my second term, so I can say it,” Mr. Obama said at a town hall-style meeting at Binghamton University in New York. “I believe that law schools would probably be wise to think about being two years instead of three years.”

Spoken like true non working lawyer .
Where did you go to law school?