President Obama!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I assume the $2K is an annual fine, which works out to roughly $167/month, a far cry from the $900/month.
Why should a healthy person have to be fined for not wanting to acquire health care ?
And they wanted the fine paid in full.
This law only applies to tax paying citizens.
To date no one has challenged this in court.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Re: Obamanomics

l71v44-b78675516z.120100812102440000gi8prj9p.1.jpg

klein

Für Meno :)

hey klein you planning on spending $40, 000 for a Volt ?

No, I don't buy new cars, but I believe many will buy it.
The savings on gas and oil, including maintanence will probably make up for the original price within 10years max.
But, yes, they will come down in price as production goes up, and parts get cheaper to build them.

There are a lot of enviromentally people out there, that will probably purchase one.
Look how organic fruits and veggies are selling, even though they cost much more.

To never visit a gas station ever again. It might just be worth that price. Esspecially now after that huge oil spill, a lot of people are blamming there dependency on oil.
We shall see. It's difinitly a move in the right direction !

Besides all that, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if those vehichles come with some sort of tax breaks (government subsidies).
They have done it before with hybrids and home renovations to make your home more energy effecient. (new windows, water heaters, furnaces, etc)

Lue C Fur

Evil member

No, I don't buy new cars, but I believe many will buy it.
Lets see...Nissan Leaf is 32k and is a better car than the Volt. Just look at the comparison tests from the major auto mags.
The savings on gas and oil, including maintanence will probably make up for the original price within 10years max.
No savings on maintaince...it costs more to maintain the hybrids. Also do your research...like the Prius, they have gas engines also.
But, yes, they will come down in price as production goes up, and parts get cheaper to build them.
Sure if its a huge hit they will just outsource it...

There are a lot of enviromentally people out there, that will probably purchase one.
Diesel engine cars are a better bet in the long run at this time.
Look how organic fruits and veggies are selling, even though they cost much more.
3 bux for a head of lettuce...no thanks i will take the chemical head for 79 cents.
To never visit a gas station ever again.
Again...you need to read about the Volt...
It might just be worth that price.
Nope.
Esspecially now after that huge oil spill, a lot of people are blamming there dependency on oil.
We shall see. It's difinitly a move in the right direction !
Diesel...
Besides all that, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if those vehichles come with some sort of tax breaks (government subsidies).
7500 bux from the tax payer which means the 41k Volt would be 33500 or the 32000 Nissan Leaf would be 25500...thats a no brainer for the Nissan.
They have done it before with hybrids and home renovations to make your home more energy effecient. (new windows, water heaters, furnaces, etc)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Lue C Fur, only one of the two models you mentioned has a gasoline engine. I believe it is the Volt.

You are right about the $7,500 tax credit.

I may have to test drive one when they come out. I have test driven a Prius--very nice car with surprising pickup. The display shows your current MPG at all times and whether you are drawing power or storing power (from the brakes).

Dave Ramsey would have a fit but I may be going car shopping this weekend.

klein

Lucy, I did need to check out the Volt online :

The Chevrolet Volt is the first vehicle of GM's second century. That's how GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner presented it, anyway, at a 100th birthday celebration the automaker was throwing for itself. The highly anticipated unveiling of the production Volt revealed a car that's not styled as aggressively as the concept version, but one the company says lives up to the original promise of delivering 40 miles of range on electricity alone. Describing it as an Extended-Range Electric Vehicle, or E-REV, the Volt features 220 lithium-ion cells that can be fully charged in eight hours with a standard 120-volt outlet or three hours using a 240-volt outlet, at a cost of about 80 cents, according to GM. When the battery's energy is depleted, a gasoline-powered generator simultaneously powers the drive unit and charges the battery, extending range by "several hundred" miles.

Basically, if you are a regular driver, that uses the car, more or less , just to go to work, and do some shopping, etc (city miles). You'll never end up buying gas !
40 miles is plenty, and only costs 80 cents of kilowatts to fill it up ! :)
And still has a top speed of 100 miles per hr !

Lue C Fur

Evil member

Lucy, I did need to check out the Volt online :

The Chevrolet Volt is the first vehicle of GM's second century. That's how GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner presented it, anyway, at a 100th birthday celebration the automaker was throwing for itself. The highly anticipated unveiling of the production Volt revealed a car that's not styled as aggressively as the concept version, but one the company says lives up to the original promise of delivering 40 miles of range on electricity alone. Describing it as an Extended-Range Electric Vehicle, or E-REV, the Volt features 220 lithium-ion cells that can be fully charged in eight hours with a standard 120-volt outlet or three hours using a 240-volt outlet, at a cost of about 80 cents, according to GM. When the battery's energy is depleted, a gasoline-powered generator simultaneously powers the drive unit and charges the battery, extending range by "several hundred" miles.

Basically, if you are a regular driver, that uses the car, more or less , just to go to work, and do some shopping, etc (city miles). You'll never end up buying gas !
40 miles is plenty, and only costs 80 cents of kilowatts to fill it up ! :)
And still has a top speed of 100 miles per hr !

Sounds like you would better off with the Nissan then:

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-elect...654.&dcc=0.216879861#/leaf-electric-car/index

wkmac

Stimulus, Real or Fake

[video=youtube;9Gp0JuBp8xA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gp0JuBp8xA&feature=player_embedded[/video]

klein

actually, I learned about the turtle problem in Florida on Highway A1A.

They have signs on the road.. "Turtle crossing"

It is a problem there.
They are protected animals.

We , in Canada, have built tunnels and over passes on the Trans Canada Highway for wildlife.

So... nothing against that. Better then them being run over all the time... (ofcourse large wildlife does much more damage).

klein

Here, look at these costs we implemented.
DNA tests. Cameras, computers.... overpasses.. and underpasses...
We spend billions !
But... hey , we all love it.... That's what Canada is all about. To preserve nature ! :)

P

pickup

Let me give you an example of two Canadians living the wild life. I have a video of Klein visiting his friend. Klein makes his appearance about 17 seconds into the video.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/1...-food-stamp-cuts-to-fund-child-nutrition-bill
Dems may use food stamp money to pay for Michelle Obama's nutrition initiative

By Russell Berman - 08/14/10 06:00 AM ET
Democrats who reluctantly slashed a food stamp program to fund a state aid bill may have to do so again to pay for a top priority of first lady Michelle Obama.
The House will soon consider an $8 billion child nutrition bill that’s at the center of the first lady’s “Let’s Move” initiative. Before leaving for the summer recess, the Senate passed a smaller version of the legislation that is paid for by trimming the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, commonly known as food stamps.

moreluck

golden ticket member

None of the kids need food stamps for michelle's program....they just need to put down the x-box and move their butts.........jump rope, play football, B-ball, baseball etc