Putting in My Letter of Intent

Browntown2014

First Day done and found out that most of you are wrong about more stuff LOL. Straight from my center manager I will not have to work any Saturdays except if we are running ground (ie during peak). Saturday Air is run by the 3 Air drivers themselves. There is a FT SUP that in charge of the Air in the building I just left on Saturdays and she handles any problem they my have. Also was informed that I can leave when I get my work done and I don't need to stick around just to stick around. Also will not have to cover for the dispatch Sup when the dispatch SUP is out as a PT SUP on that preload covers. However I will learn how to do it as that differs in other buildings. Miles we put on are personal cars during work are reimbursed at the going rate > $.50 a mile.

Rofl you must work in upstates center then

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Just saying what my center manager has been telling me and he's a straight shooter. He said keep track and have the OMS order you planner to do so.

I'm also getting sent to QVA school week ending 1-23.
I'm just saying, try to have an open mind with the whole thing. Mine was a straight shooter too. But the problem is a lot of these CMs are a few years removed from the job and things change. Not to mention they seem to disappear early afternoon...

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
And if those total numbers don't make it, guess who they ask to make that up? Like I said, next UW campaign, go to your DM and say "no". You absolutely will get a not so favorable reaction.

As far as the car insurance, it's a metaphor. Being in the union and exercising the contract is like having insurance. You hope you never need it but it's good to know it is there to protect you if you do need it. Small price to pay for that security and absolutely nothing wrong with it.
We make up for it in other ways. I don't cut them a check contrary to popular belief.

I never said there was anything wrong with being in a union. Because as much as I joke and kid around I understand why the union exists. I just don't like certain things about it, if you were in my shoes, you would understand.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Just saying what my center manager has been telling me and he's a straight shooter. He said keep track and have the OMS order you planner to do so.

I'm also getting sent to QVA school week ending 1-23.
Oh QVAs. You're going to love them. Real fun. According to corporate my PCM quality and ability to do an observation, which I've done about 1000 times, can and will change on a daily basis.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I don't know if it's so much that mentality but more of "I'm going to be careful on what I say or how much I trust this guy now because he's not my fellow worker but now in a position of management which could be used against me" type of thinking.

A lot of what ups does in this modern day isn't how adults treat each other. Get rid of some of the useless metrics and it would probably be a different environment instead of the hostile one they like to promote in some centers today.
But the thing is, he is your fellow worker. I tell guys on the first day "Listen, I don't do this job because cardboard makes me horny. I do it to earn a living. Lets work together." Trust goes both ways. If someone gives me the cold shoulder day one it makes me nervous. Does it mean you do something sketchy? Or do you really just not like me because you're a union employee and I'm a management employee.

Browntown2014

We make up for it in other ways. I don't cut them a check contrary to popular belief.

I never said there was anything wrong with being in a union. Because as much as I joke and kid around I understand why the union exists. I just don't like certain things about it, if you were in my shoes, you would understand.

Unions exist because workers got sick of rich :censored2:bags taking advantage of them. What's there not to get???

UPSGUY72

I'm just saying, try to have an open mind with the whole thing. Mine was a straight shooter too. But the problem is a lot of these CMs are a few years removed from the job and things change. Not to mention they seem to disappear early afternoon...

Thanks definitely keeping an open mind.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Different strokes for different folks. I didn't grow up with folks who punched out and their day was over. My parents spent a lot of time on their computer and phones after getting home. That is normal to me.

When my son comes home to visit he also spends a lot of time on his computer and phone doing work. He never really punches in or out but rather is on call 24/7.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My DM doesn't care about my individual contribution. He cares about the center's total number.

While he may care more about the center's total number you can rest assured that he keeps track of individual contributions.

When I was in the military we had a similar fundraising drive and were expected to have 100% participation with the NCO's making up the difference for any lower enlisted personnel who did not donate.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
But the thing is, he is your fellow worker. I tell guys on the first day "Listen, I don't do this job because cardboard makes me horny. I do it to earn a living. Lets work together." Trust goes both ways. If someone gives me the cold shoulder day one it makes me nervous. Does it mean you do something sketchy? Or do you really just not like me because you're a union employee and I'm a management employee.
It was nothing to do with being "sketchy " which , believe me, furthest thing from it. In my experience, new management tends to have something to prove out of the gate. They tend to create mountains out of mole hills. It's about being cautious and not setting yourself up because someone new is trying to prove themselves.
In a small, close center, your approach probably works. But in bigger centers and with the current toxic management culture that ups seems to embrace lately, it's just realizing that that person is now a supervisor and that comes with different boundaries. It has nothing to do of whether you like the guy or not. There are plenty of management people I like. But I'm careful about what I say and do around them more than my friends I drive with that I've known for years.

The only way this would change is if ups changed their management culture of assuming everyone is out there doing something wrong. Sadly that's the current status quo.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
While he may care more about the center's total number you can rest assured that he keeps track of individual contributions.

When I was in the military we had a similar fundraising drive and were expected to have 100% participation with the NCO's making up the difference for any lower enlisted personnel who did not donate.
I'm going to agree with Dave. We have a DM that is crazy about that detail with the UW campaign. He tracks the hourlies and management that don't participate. I'm sure he has little recourse with an hourly not giving but I'm betting he can have a whole different conversation with management that say no.

By The Book

Haven't got a cold shoulder from anyone. The only one I see getting a cold shoulder from is the guy going to a local panel tomorrow and he is such a tool the local removed him from being a shop steward and most of the drivers don't like him.
I thought you said you were going to keep that between us?