Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I choose this " The fool has said there is no God" -- Proverbs 14: 12

Right choice, wrong choice.
Free will.

Your Free Will allows you to make an incorrect choice IMO. Wouldn't it be logical to assume that a book promoting belief in God would include a passage like the one you quoted?

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
For many, scripture is literal, as in the many Christians who believe in inerrancy.
I choose to not waste my time believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, aka Space God.
All of this presumes the Bible is accurate and truthful. Has anybody ever told you that the Bible has been tweaked many times so it can be cherry-picked by those who did the editing/translation?
Anyone who wouldn't waste their time on the Flying Spaghetti Monster is no doubt qualified to give a scholarly presentation on how the Bible has been cherry picked, edited , and translated.

BrownFlush

Your Free Will allows you to make an incorrect choice IMO. Wouldn't it be logical to assume that a book promoting belief in God would include a passage like the one you quoted?
You're gettin' it. IMO you are wrong..isn't it great...We all get to have an opinion.
Logical? They must have forgot to take that passage out.

Talk about freewill..I like this one..." Choose you this day who you will serve. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:15

Last edited:

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
Are you quoting a book that has specifically removed passages in order to further cement their legacy and power? That's the question...The Golden Rule is the only thing that matters....It should be common sense. Most everything else is open to interpretation.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Are you quoting a book that has specifically removed passages in order to further cement their legacy and power? That's the question...The Golden Rule is the only thing that matters....It should be common sense. Most everything else is open to interpretation.

I love the Golden Rule, and although I'm not a Christian, I try to live my life accordingly.

BrownFlush

I love the Golden Rule, and although I'm not a Christian, I try to live my life accordingly.
Talk about a cherry picker.
You like the golden rule, so you'll go with that one.
But the part about there is a God, he becomes The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Box Ox

Talk about a cherry picker.
You like the golden rule, so you'll go with that one.
But the part about there is a God, he becomes The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Nobody would know to treat others as they'd like to be treated if it weren't for the Golden Rule! Babies on motorcycles! Llamas running wild in the streets! Total pandemonium!

BrownFlush

I just like the Golden Rule. It doesn't require me to believe in a God. Wise words.
The "Golden Rule" is the name men gave to the statement Jesus made in Matthew 7:12 " Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

So the Bible to you is sort of like a buffet... you get to pick and choose what you want and disregard what you don't like.
In your words..cherry pick.

Box Ox

So the Bible to you is sort of like a buffet... you get to pick and choose what you want and disregard what you don't like.
In your words..cherry pick.

It's not a Bible-exclusive concept, though. A parent, for example, could simply choose not to call their idea the Golden Rule and tell their kids they decided that treating someone as they'd want to be treated is what a good member of society should do.

BrownFlush

Did nobody treat others as they'd want to be treated before the Sermon?
The teaching in Matthew 5 -7 ( Sermon on the Mount ) absolutely shocked the audience and the religious elite. So counter to culture and society.
I'm sure that it had been done, but if you didn't , nobody thought anything about it because that's how most folks behaved.

Box Ox

The teaching in Matthew 5 -7 ( Sermon on the Mount ) absolutely shocked the audience and the religious elite. So counter to culture and society.
I'm sure that it had been done, but if you didn't , nobody thought anything about it because that's how most folks behaved.

I mean, OK! LOL

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Nobody would know to treat others as they'd like to be treated if it weren't for the Golden Rule! Babies on motorcycles! Llamas running wild in the streets! Total pandemonium!

The body of his mother
Rotting in the summer ground
He fled the town
He went down south and crossed the border
Left the chaos and disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.