Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
One of the zillion passages that are found in the Bible discussing baptism, it's purpose, mode, etc., that really helped me is found in the letter written to the Christians in the church at Colossae

Colossians 2:8-13 "See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,

This passage compares what happens in baptism with what happened when a Jewish man-child was circumcised. Paul wrote what happens in baptism is not man working to earn salvation; rather, it is the “operation of God.” In baptism, God acts to preform the surgery, Jesus is the surgeon, forgives man of his sin in this act of obedience. This passage alone( many others) teaches that baptism is not man’s work, but God’s work.
If you need gall bladder surgery and someone tells you," Don't worry the gall bladder problem (sin) you had, is all taken care of and has been taken out." And you decide to believe it, did you have the necessary surgery to fix the problem? Nope. You can believe you did, even until the gall bladder explodes and kills you. You never corrected the problem

Why get on the operating table Paul is talking about if your problem has been taken care of?
According to scripture, the corrective surgery does not take place until baptism.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I must be. If you disagree with someone and use the Bible as the standard for discussion is the qualifier. I think you honed in that also like that was a negative more than once.
What saith the scripture? It must scare people.

If you are interested in what was brought up, the scriptures do teach that one who is to be baptized must be able to do and/or have the ability to do certain things.
This would disqualify for instance, any infant for baptism as a scriptural act. Babies are not candidates for baptism because they do not have the ability to be taught and believe, confess, etc. Infant baptism is not found in scripture.
Chapter and verse to support your contention.

I don't remember Jesus vetting Baptismal candidates in His day. Missed that gospel I guess.

And the Baptism of children is the community claiming the child's soul for salvation. The children confirm the choice that was made to save them after they reach the age of reason, in the sacrament of Confirmation.

Sola scriptura does not exist in Scripture, either.

One of the zillion passages that are found in the Bible discussing baptism, it's purpose, mode, etc., that really helped me is found in the letter written to the Christians in the church at Colossae

Colossians 2:8-13 "See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,

This passage compares what happens in baptism with what happened when a Jewish man-child was circumcised. Paul wrote what happens in baptism is not man working to earn salvation; rather, it is the “operation of God.” In baptism, God acts to preform the surgery, Jesus is the surgeon, forgives man of his sin in this act of obedience. This passage alone( many others) teaches that baptism is not man’s work, but God’s work.
If you need gall bladder surgery and someone tells you," Don't worry the gall bladder problem (sin) you had, is all taken care of and has been taken out." And you decide to believe it, did you have the necessary surgery to fix the problem? Nope. You can believe you did, even until the gall bladder explodes and kills you. You never corrected the problem

Why get on the operating table Paul is talking about if your problem has been taken care of?
According to scripture, the corrective surgery does not that place until baptism.
Tldr

love-actually-christmas.gif

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Chapter and verse to support your contention.

I don't remember Jesus vetting Baptismal candidates in His day. Missed that gospel I guess.

And the Baptism of children is the community claiming the child's soul for salvation. The children confirm the choice that was made to save them after they reach the age of reason, in the sacrament of Confirmation.

Sola scriptura does not exist in Scripture, either.
Mark 16:16... Jesus said "He that believes and his baptized shall be saved.".. An infant does not have the ability to believe
Acts 2:38 ,, Peter said, Repent and be baptized for the remission of your sins.. An infant has nothing to repent of (even if it understood what that was) and no sin that needs to be remitted.
Luke concerning Pauls conversion... Arise and be baptized and wash away your sins... Acts 22:16..An infant has no sins to be washed away.
Scripture, that which is inspired by God, makes the claim that it is all sufficient. That is the only standard one can appeal to for salvation and to know what pleases God. You obviously think otherwise.
Catholic dogma, traditions and ordinances of men written by uninspired men, are of no interest to me except to use the Bible to prove it's teachings are corrupt to help folks get out of it.
One of the passages I would use that recognizes the all sufficiency of scripture is 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.