Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FromOffTheStreets

A crutch, a support system for small minded people to hang onto.
It can be that at times, especially for people who go but don't pursue.
The smallest minds I've ever encountered don't think beyond the TV screen or video games. It's like they live in a dome & they don't want to find a way out.
God/the Bible are freeing to people who seek to escape this dome, you come alive in a spiritual way if you truly pursue it.
The "red pilled"/ conspiracy stuff is similar in escaping the system but it is more of a mental exercise rather than spiritual.

FromOffTheStreets

Don't just attend church.
Love the church.
Serve the church.
Give through the church.
Invite people to church.
Worship Jesus with the church.
Encourage the church.
Participate in the church.
Pray for the church.

Be the church

What does “the Church” mean to you?
The church is simply fellow believers seeking the righteousness of God. It's not a building or programs.

rickyb

Don't just attend church.
Love the church.
Serve the church.
Give through the church.
Invite people to church.
Worship Jesus with the church.
Encourage the church.
Participate in the church.
Pray for the church.

Be the church

Its a place for ppl to understand what life is about and then rebel for love truth and justice

rickyb

@Integrity
I don't need one.
Since according to you-know-who we are all living in the matrix.

The smallest minds I've ever encountered don't think beyond the TV screen or video games. It's like they live in a dome & they don't want to find a way out.
God/the Bible are freeing to people who seek to escape this dome, you come alive in a spiritual way if you truly pursue it.
The "red pilled"/ conspiracy stuff is similar in escaping the system but it is more of a mental exercise rather than spiritual.
Screenshot_20231027-123333_Firefox.jpg

rickyb

The matrix has been twisted by the right wing

Its very much a mental and then physical process

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
@Fred's Myth,

Being brought up as a Roman Catholic, and from that perspective, the Church is the earthly institution Jesus founded to preserve the religion of His Teachings. As we all should know, since the Tower of Babel, word of mouth has a reliability factor near zero. The Institution of the Church is necessary to preserve, defend, and correctly interpret the Word, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
That is the basis of the Authority of the Church. Unfortunately, the institution of the Church has been infiltrated by charlatans for their own evil purposes, and have compromised its integrity. Because of that, I embrace the Teachings of the Church, but not its practices.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Being brought up as a Roman Catholic, and from that perspective, the Church is the earthly institution Jesus founded to preserve the religion of His Teachings. As we all should know, since the Tower of Babel, word of mouth has a reliability factor near zero. The Institution of the Church is necessary to preserve, defend, and correctly interpret the Word, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
That is the basis of the Authority of the Church. Unfortunately, the institution of the Church has been infiltrated by charlatans for their own evil purposes, and have compromised its integrity. Because of that, I embrace the Teachings of the Church, but not its practices.
Do you see other denominations as churches too?

FromOffTheStreets

Unfortunately the catholic church became corrupted the same way Judaism did before Jesus. They developed a works based system & greed overtook the upper levels of the priesthood. It's very similar to the prosperity - charismatics of the last 100 years.
They move away from the central teachings & create their own system.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Unfortunately the catholic church became corrupted the same way Judaism did before Jesus. They developed a works based system & greed overtook the upper levels of the priesthood. It's very similar to the prosperity - charismatics of the last 100 years.
They move away from the central teachings & create their own system.
Jesus came to set an example for our behavior. Scripture tells us to set an example, that others might see and believe as well. The best way to set an example is by works, as elucidated by Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew. Works are not a requirement for salvation, they are standards to demonstrate that we are followers of Christ, and a manifestation of His perfect example. Don't confuse their purpose.

The Catholic Church has failed in her purpose by allowing perverts to engrain themselves in the priesthood as leaders and corrupting the innocent, and then protecting them because of a need for priests. Unacceptable.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Do you see other denominations as churches too?
Some are, some aren't. My personal philosophy is that a good person of any faith is better than a bad Catholic. Goodness isn't an exclusive purview of Christians, we just have a clearer view of what that means.

FromOffTheStreets

Jesus came to set an example for our behavior. Scripture tells us to set an example, that others might see and believe as well. The best way to set an example is by works, as elucidated by Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew. Works are not a requirement for salvation, they are standards to demonstrate that we are followers of Christ, and a manifestation of His perfect example. Don't confuse their purpose.

The Catholic Church has failed in her purpose by allowing perverts to engrain themselves in the priesthood as leaders and corrupting the innocent, and then protecting them because of a need for priests. Unacceptable.
I agree with you on that.
Im speaking more towards; Jesus never instructed anyone to say their hail Mary's or to worship images or to partake in the catholic eucharist or to chant different slogans throughout the mass. Those are all things created by that religion, not Jesus.
It's similar to how the pharisees & scribes created their own "rules" from the Talmud. Things Jesus came to do away with.
They were serving him outwardly but inwardly, in the heart, they did not serve him. There's a big difference

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I agree with you on that.
Im speaking more towards; Jesus never instructed anyone to say their hail Mary's or to worship images or to partake in the catholic eucharist or to chant different slogans throughout the mass. Those are all things created by that religion, not Jesus.
It's similar to how the pharisees & scribes created their own "rules" from the Talmud. Things Jesus came to do away with.
They were serving him outwardly but inwardly, in the heart, they did not serve him. There's a big difference
Au contraire! The Catholic Eucharist is DIRECTLY descended from Jesus' exhortation, DO THIS IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME (Luke 22:19) The entire Mass is basically a condensed version of Jesus' salvific actions. It is a refined remembrance of Jesus' instructions to the Apostles and their successors. Images/statues are memorials that direct the mind to a prayerful place, not an object of worship. Prayers to Mary are for intercessory benefit, not worship.

None of your objections correspond to mine, because your information is erroneous.

And Jesus didn't condemn those who were serving incorrectly, but He did chastise those who were serving themselves.

FromOffTheStreets

The Catholic Eucharist is DIRECTLY descended from Jesus' exhortation, DO THIS IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME (Luke 22:19)
I actually thought they took it from John 6 where he tells them they must "eat his flesh & drink his blood or they have no part with him." This is where the priest miraculously changes the wafer & wine into his actual body & blood, transsubstantiation.
The passage you sight is called communion "in remembrance." It is a symbol done in remembrance of his sacrifice.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I actually thought they took it from John 6 where he tells them they must "eat his flesh & drink his blood or they have no part with him." This is where the priest miraculously changes the wafer & wine into his actual body & blood, transsubstantiation.
The passage you sight is called communion "in remembrance." It is a symbol done in remembrance of his sacrifice.
Cannibalism?

vantexan

Unless there's money involved. Sorry, couldn't resist.

FromOffTheStreets

And Jesus didn't condemn those who were serving incorrectly, but He did chastise those who were serving themselves.
Actually nadab & abihu were in leviticus 10.
Eli's sons in 1st Samuel 2
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. Matt 23;23

Status
Not open for further replies.