Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAKAVELI

I did not ask that question, you know I am quite capable of asking that if it was what I was interested in.
There is a way of knowing, my guess is you will remain to be disinterested in an answer, because it puts a kink in the sacrament of child baptism .
If child baptism confers salvation on a child, salvation is no longer grace, a gift of God, but rather the parents work of the flesh.
Sounds like a pretty friend-up religion that doesn't allow babies into heaven.

bbsam

Staff member
But He is a just and Holy God, true to His word.

Saying He will go against His son, when He said "No one comes to the Father...", then you are calling Him a liar.
Incorrect. I am saying that I do not understand God or his ways.

If God decides to save the unborn, and you find that to be somehow unjust...well I suggest you, @floridays, and Job lodge your complaints wisely. Go in with your loins already girded. It will save time that way.

upschuck

If God decides to save the unborn, and you find that to be somehow unjust...well I suggest you, @floridays, and Job lodge your complaints wisely. Go in with your loins already girded. It will save time that way.
Not what I am saying at all. I am just saying that something I do, has no eternal ramifications of what happens to my offspring, that it is up to each person to decide for themselves as to their own doings, what the outcome will be for themself.

I do agree with an "age of accountability" type thing, but have not looked too deeply into that.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I like that.
The mistakes in translations rarely affect the overall message.
The Vulcan and the KJV have many translation mistakes but none that significantly affect the message .

The most notable is the Aramaian words for camel and rope are translated into Hellenic Greek as the same word.

The Bible saying, "It is easier for a rope to pass through the eye of a needle ... " now makes more sense.

bbsam

Staff member
Not what I am saying at all. I am just saying that something I do, has no eternal ramifications of what happens to my offspring, that it is up to each person to decide for themselves as to their own doings, what the outcome will be for themself.

I do agree with an "age of accountability" type thing, but have not looked too deeply into that.
Baptizing an infant, bringing a child into the church to be taught the Christian faith “has no eternal ramifications”?

If that’s how you feel, then by all means, skip it.

I may have strayed from that faith and enjoyed sin and debauchery, but none of that negated my Christianity. I’m eternally grateful that foundation, that affirmation at 6 weeks old that I was called by name by God to be His child.

Maybe when parents bring children to be baptized it is not the outward action of the parents alone but the outward action by God through the Body of Christ (the church) to bestow grace. Might even be more meaningful to a single witness to the baptism than anyone else. Hard to say what God’s doing sometimes.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

I believe the issue is the common believe that God or Higher Power is involved in the daily ongoings on Earth.

I find that sort of silly myself.
And there is no contradition therefore.

bbsam

Staff member
I believe the issue is the common believe that God or Higher Power is involved in the daily ongoings on Earth.

I find that sort of silly myself.
And there is no contradition therefore.
Oh, he’s involved alright.

I was at church back in December, minding my own business. Pastor walks up to me and says, “How would you like to go to Houston in June with the youth group?!?”

“Sure!”

Oh, this is soooooo not me! But I’ve known our pastor for 30 years and when she asks me to do something, well I just kinda gotta.

I’m quite certain God’s involved and laughing his eternal ass off at me!

bbsam

Staff member
Unfortunately all religions have been founded by people.
Which seems strange to hear folks say it’s all made up. That trillions of people of all status and culture would follow just made up, fake stories?

And many of those stories or motifs have similar ideas...

It will be fine

Which seems strange to hear folks say it’s all made up. That trillions of people of all status and culture would follow just made up, fake stories?

And many of those stories or motifs have similar ideas...
Of course the stories are made up. Lose all knowledge of your bible and evidence would not lead people to the same stories. All western religious text requires revelation, that's just a fancy term for making crap up.

bbsam

Staff member
Of course the stories are made up. Lose all knowledge of your bible and evidence would not lead people to the same stories. All western religious text requires revelation, that's just a fancy term for making crap up.
Don’t be ridiculous. You can find the same ideas in all kinds of literature over the eons. Eastern, western, you name it. Even something as supposedly Christian like the “virgin birth” crops up many times in theological and moral texts.

It will be fine

Don’t be ridiculous. You can find the same ideas in all kinds of literature over the eons. Eastern, western, you name it. Even something as supposedly Christian like the “virgin birth” crops up many times in theological and moral texts.
That leads me to the same conclusion. It's made up nonsense, the version you choose to believe in has no more validity than any other nonsense. Universal themes and dramatic story telling don't define truth.

bbsam

Staff member
That leads me to the same conclusion. It's made up nonsense, the version you choose to believe in has no more validity than any other nonsense. Universal themes and dramatic story telling don't define truth.
They may not define truth and but maybe they help illuminate truth. Really I don’t care how people come to the conclusion that they shouldn’t be :censored2:s.

Honestly I don’t get how religious topics seem so threatening to people on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.