Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownArmy

The teachings of Jesus are relevant to everyone.
As Gandhi said, “I like your Jesus very much ... I don’t care for you Christians much at all.”
That was from memory but that’s the gist.

Most religions are fine ... the humans suck.

That’s fine, and I agree.

I love me some Jesus (at least what was attributed to him hundreds of years later).

I love me some Gautama (at least what was attributed to him hundreds of years later).

I love me some Thor (at least what was attributed to him in seven different nations, hundreds of years later, etc.).

These are myths, and the myths aren’t meant to be taken literally...they’re meant to be parables, little stories to get us through the night.

Unfortunately, that’s not how its worked out.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
That’s fine, and I agree.

I love me some Jesus (at least what was attributed to him hundreds of years later).

I love me some Gautama (at least what was attributed to him hundreds of years later).

I love me some Thor (at least what was attributed to him in seven different nations, hundreds of years later, etc.).

These are myths, and the myths aren’t meant to be taken literally...they’re meant to be parables, little stories to get us through the night.

Unfortunately, that’s not how its worked out.
That's up the individual.

Perhaps you don't understand how much religions help individuals who feel responsible for too much and fall short of their marks (sins).

BrownArmy

That's up the individual.

Perhaps you don't understand how much religions help individuals who feel responsible for too much and fall short of their marks (sins).

Ehhh, are you asserting that organized religion is just an opiate for the weak-minded?

Choose your next words carefully...

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Ehhh, are you asserting that organized religion is just an opiate for the weak-minded?

Choose your next words carefully...
The strong minded and strong willed will use any tool to control the masses of weak minded.

Religion works pretty well.

But none of the above stops the individual from discovering a wonderful loving relationship with the Higher Power of their choice.

El Correcto

god is dead
I think religion can be an important coping mechanism for the finality of life. It’s got some morales to live by, comes with a community of people who share values and usually act out in peaceful helpful ways. I don’t take part in religion, I have swallowed a 7 gram bag of shrooms. That was pretty :censored2:ing beautiful.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think religion can be an important coping mechanism for the finality of life. It’s got some morales to live by, comes with a community of people who share values and usually act out in peaceful helpful ways. I don’t take part in religion, I have swallowed a 7 gram bag of shrooms. That was pretty :censored2:ing beautiful.
That’s a nice confession.

BrownArmy

Choose your next Higher Power carefully.

To be fair, one could gain an entirely correct ‘World-view’ from childrens’ books.

It’s mostly about sharing, not hitting others, etc.

So many problematic issues arise with ‘Religion’, which is why I’m not a fan.

BrownArmy

7 grams, by yourself?

Oh, honey...

El Correcto

god is dead
I take it they were not dried out.
They were dried out, certainly not wet. I was high as a kite for about 8hours, didn’t sleep that night. It was probably the clearest I’ve viewed myself, my choices, life and the people in my life. That kind of introspection can really help you. Especially with anxiety and depression.

I would definitely take shrooms over religion any day.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
They were dried out, certainly not wet. I was high as a kite for about 8hours, didn’t sleep that night. It was probably the clearest I’ve viewed myself, my choices, life and the people in my life. That kind of introspection can really help you. Especially with anxiety and depression.

Or you can have both.

It's not an either of scenario.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

I've taken lsd, peyote, mushrooms and DMT so I understand the introspection and prioritization aspects but those rarely come with support groups that maintain that elevated level of insight.

vantexan

Oh, FFS.

I’m glad you have an amazing narrative about what you personally believe.

I wish you would just leave it at that.

This is case-in-point why y’all Bible-thumpers bum me out.

Believe whatever you want to believe, but keep it the :censored2: to yourself.
So in your little world there's nothing to worry about with extremists? Kumbaya my Lord, Kumbaya....

vantexan

Oh, FFS.

I’m glad you have an amazing narrative about what you personally believe.

I wish you would just leave it at that.

This is case-in-point why y’all Bible-thumpers bum me out.

Believe whatever you want to believe, but keep it the :censored2: to yourself.
Have to ask, in what way was I Bible thumping? I was recounting known historical fact about the differences between Islam and Christianity and how today's Left ignores those facts. Of course you're dismissive. You want what you want, facts be damned. Spout off gobbledygook about mythology, whatever. In today's world there's simply no comparison between what Christians do and Islamists do in advancement of their beliefs. Ask Bill Maher, an atheist as Left as they come who's willing to be critical of Islam and took a lot of heat for it. But honest.

bbsam

Staff member
The teachings of Jesus are relevant to everyone.
As Gandhi said, “I like your Jesus very much ... I don’t care for you Christians much at all.”
That was from memory but that’s the gist.

Most religions are fine ... the humans suck.
I think it was more along the lines of “I like Jesus. I just wish Christians would act more like him.”

As a Christian myself, I 100% agree. It’s constructive criticism that I think all Christians should take personally to heart.

vantexan

I think it was more along the lines of “I like Jesus. I just wish Christians would act more like him.”

As a Christian myself, I 100% agree. It’s constructive criticism that I think all Christians should take personally to heart.
In the Bible Christianity is compared to a city on a hill. You can't miss it's light. You on the other hand would have Christians shut up and not make waves. Don't point out the things going around us that make the country less Christian. Abortion, infidelity, gay marriage, on and on. We're supposed to shut up and take it is what I gather from your posts. Christians aren't supposed to be in the streets rioting. We are to obey the law. But we have a duty to point out immorality not because we're perfect, we aren't. But in the interest of saving souls we have to give non-believers a chance to turn to Christ. They don't get the chance if we remain silent. Silence is complicity. I hope you come to realize the necessity to proclaim Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.