Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsam

Staff member
In the Bible Christianity is compared to a city on a hill. You can't miss it's light. You on the other would have Christians shut up and not make waves. Don't point out the things going around us that make the country less Christian. Abortion, infidelity, gay marriage, on and on. We're supposed to shut up and take it is what I gather from your posts. Christians aren't supposed to be in the streets rioting. We are to obey the law. But we have a duty to point out immorality not because we're perfect, we aren't. But in the interest of saving souls we have to give non-believers a chance to turn to Christ. They don't get the chance if we remain silent. Silence is complicity. I hope you come to realize the necessity to proclaim Christ.
I prefer to let my actions do so.

bbsam

Staff member
In the Bible Christianity is compared to a city on a hill. You can't miss it's light. You on the other hand would have Christians shut up and not make waves. Don't point out the things going around us that make the country less Christian. Abortion, infidelity, gay marriage, on and on. We're supposed to shut up and take it is what I gather from your posts. Christians aren't supposed to be in the streets rioting. We are to obey the law. But we have a duty to point out immorality not because we're perfect, we aren't. But in the interest of saving souls we have to give non-believers a chance to turn to Christ. They don't get the chance if we remain silent. Silence is complicity. I hope you come to realize the necessity to proclaim Christ.
Shut up and take it? Criticism? Hell yes.

You want to teach people about Christ? Then shut up and treat them as Christ would. Soon enough the questions will come and you’ll get your chance.

vantexan

Shut up and take it? Criticism? Hell yes.

You want to teach people about Christ? Then shut up and treat them as Christ would. Soon enough the questions will come and you’ll get your chance.
We have a moral obligation to preach Christ and his death on our behalf. Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel...

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
We have a moral obligation to preach Christ and his death on our behalf. Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel...
Your Christian missionaries came to North America and forced their beliefs on a whole population and pretty much wiped out the native religions. You consider this moral?

vantexan

Actions speak louder than words.
The Ethiopian Eunuch was asked if he understood what he was reading from scripture and he said how can he unless some man guided him. The Apostle Paul got after Christians who when they should've by then been teachers themselves were like babies needing milk. People don't want to make the effort, leave that to their ministers and priests. You've got bbsam saying you shouldn't have to prove your faith with works but says let your actions speak for themselves. You can't have it both ways. Doesn't mean you should put people in head locks until they listen to you. What a lot of people want is to talk about sports, politics, sex, anything but religion. It's a vital part of life that shouldn't be suppressed.

vantexan

Your Christian missionaries came to North America and forced their beliefs on a whole population and pretty much wiped out the native religions. You consider this moral?
Preaching to them was moral. Forcing them wasn't. People should come to Christ willingly.

oldngray

nowhere special
The Ethiopian Eunuch was asked if he understood what he was reading from scripture and he said how can he unless some man guided him. The Apostle Paul got after Christians who when they should've by then been teachers themselves were like babies needing milk. People don't want to make the effort, leave that to their ministers and priests. You've got bbsam saying you shouldn't have to prove your faith with works but says let your actions speak for themselves. You can't have it both ways. Doesn't mean you should put people in head locks until they listen to you. What a lot of people want is to talk about sports, politics, sex, anything but religion. It's a vital part of life that shouldn't be suppressed.
Faith without works is dead but there is no saving grace from works. It is a result of salvation - not a way to earn it.

Martin Luther would have liked to remove the book of James from the Bible because of what it said about works. A lot of that was because of his reaction to the Catholic church of the time though.

floridays

Ask a native American that has believed if it was moral. Nothing has been forced on you, and beliefs can not be forced on any person. You can however force compliance, but never belief.

vantexan

Faith without works is dead but there is no saving grace from works. It is a result of salvation - not a way to earn it.

Martin Luther would have liked to remove the book of James from the Bible because of what it said about works. A lot of that was because of his reaction to the Catholic church of the time though.
I agree that ultimately grace saves us. We can never do enough to earn it. But God judges what's in our hearts and how we've lived. If faith alone saves us there's no need for a judgment. Just separate believers from non-believers and send them off to their eternal home.

floridays

Van, I don't like to talk about religion, I can talk, with believers, about Jesus all day however.

vantexan

Its called the Great Commission. Spread the Gospel then it is up to the individuals hearing it to decide.
Exactly. Only some here don't want to be approached or listen to a sermon. Just do nice things and if they're curious they'll ask you about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.