Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridays

I agree that ultimately grace saves us. We can never do enough to earn it. But God judges what's in our hearts and how we've lived. If faith alone saves us there's no need for a judgment. Just separate believers from non-believers and send them off to their eternal home.
Grace solely, through faith. It's a gift of God, lest any should boast.

floridays

I personally believe it's important that everyone gets a chance to hear the gospel at least once.
And the gospel is Jesus crucified, buried and risen, it's not religion, is all I meant. He was crucified for my sin, and raised for my justification. I say my because I killed the Saviour. He gave his life because of me. And whosoever will believe killed him also and he was raised for their justification also.

oldngray

nowhere special
And we can fall from grace. We enter through baptism into a saved state. Up to us to live the Christian life to remain saved. Faith without works is dead.

That depends on whether you believe in Eternal Security. I didn't at first but from studying that is what I now believe. You can lose your rewards but not your salvation. The only unpardonable sin is the sin of unbelief. Once you belong to God nobody has the power to snatch you away.

I generally try to avoid doctrinal arguments. They are secondary and deflect attention away from the basic Gospel of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. Nobody is saved by religion and most impose extra man made rules. Nothing wrong with a lot of that if you are comfortable with it and it doesn't go against the core Gospel. The problem is when you rely on religion to save you instead of a relationship with God.

floridays

That depends on whether you believe in Eternal Security. I didn't at first but from studying that is what I now believe. You can lose your rewards but not your salvation. The only unpardonable sin is the sin of unbelief. Once you belong to God nobody has the power to snatch you away.

I generally try to avoid doctrinal arguments. They are secondary and deflect attention away from the basic Gospel of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. Nobody is saved by religion and most impose extra man made rules. Nothing wrong with a lot of that if you are comfortable with it and it doesn't go against the core Gospel. The problem is when you rely on religion to save you instead of a relationship with God.
I think I really like you, you are much more tender than I am. I'm very rough edged and not I'm particularly fond of it. I do have some smoother times though.

vantexan

The problem is some want to cast off parts as "religion" such as congregating. They congregated in Jerusalem. Overseen by the apostles at first and eventually elders who taught and directed deacons to attend to the physical needs of the congregation, particularly widows and orphans. People today want to talk about their personal relationship with God but don't want anything to do with "organized" religion. It's been there from the start and is how people support each other. Particularly important in trying times such as during Roman persecution or communists wanting to stamp out all religious belief. Or dealing with those who hate Christianity and are always seeking to attack it.

floridays

The problem is some want to cast off parts as "religion" such as congregating. They congregated in Jerusalem. Overseen by the apostles at first and eventually elders who taught and directed deacons to attend to the physical needs of the congregation, particularly widows and orphans. People today want to talk about their personal relationship with God but don't want anything to do with "organized" religion. It's been there from the start and is how people support each other. Particularly important in trying times such as during Roman persecution or communists wanting to stamp out all religious belief. Or dealing with those who hate Christianity and are always seeking to attack it.
Scripture says forsake not the gathering of the saints, can be in a cornfield.

oldngray

nowhere special

You absolutely need the fellowship with other believers. A church is the people, not a fancy building.

vantexan

Scripture says forsake not the gathering of the saints, can be in a cornfield.
The Jerusalem church had about 25,000 members if I remember right. Doubt they were meeting in a building. When I say congregate I don't mean it has to be in a dedicated building. Personally I think the money spent on huge buildings would be better served helping the poor.

oldngray

nowhere special
But you're missing the part where it was organized, a big turnoff for some these days.
Some people feel the need for a more structured environment to worship. Nothing wrong with that. Some prefer a looser or more casual setting. Nothing wrong with that either.

oldngray

nowhere special
The big turn off for me is the huge mega church buildings that they try to say is a temple of God, when in reality, it’s a temple for the ego of the church leaders.

There are a few good mega churches but the majority (in my opinion) are about worshiping some charismatic leader and not God.

floridays

Thou believest there is one God, thou doest well. The devils also believe, and tremble. James 2:19
Absolutely, The devil has stood face to face with the Lord, he has beheld him in physical terms, and was cast from heaven by him. I behold the Lord in a different manner, I don't want to rise above Him and bow to Him as Holy God. I'm only a redeemed sinner, not one good thing about me. If the blood of Jesus isn't enough, what possibly could I add as worth. Works included. The answer is nothing.

floridays

The Jerusalem church had about 25,000 members if I remember right. Doubt they were meeting in a building. When I say congregate I don't mean it has to be in a dedicated building. Personally I think the money spent on huge buildings would be better served helping the poor.
I'll start with the widows and children.

vantexan

Some people feel the need for a more structured environment to worship. Nothing wrong with that. Some prefer a looser or more casual setting. Nothing wrong with that either.
And yet I hear over and over those talking about their personal relationship with God and how they don't go for organized religion. In effect don't bother them, they'll do what they think is right. That's their right, but don't cast aspersions on the organized part. People pulling together can do great things.

Status
Not open for further replies.