Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldngray

nowhere special
And yet I hear over and over those talking about their personal relationship with God and how they don't go for organized religion. In effect don't bother them, they'll do what they think is right. That's their right, but don't cast aspersions on the organized part. People pulling together can do great things.

Most people I know who are like that have their own interpretations of who and what God is and tend to believe what makes them feel good or to reinforce their already formed opinions. Most seem to avoid what Scripture actually says and go with what their "own" God would do.

floridays

But you're missing the part where it was organized, a big turnoff for some these days.
Organization only by how God puts it in place, if believers meet in a cornfield I know God can and will direct, and the leaders will be evident.
I truly think God can and will direct His people when they listen, meeting wise.

vantexan

There are a few good mega churches but the majority (in my opinion) are about worshiping some charismatic leader and not God.
Which is why I believe in New Testament Christianity. There are three offices mentioned. Elders, who are apt to teach. That doesn't mean filling in for the minister when he's on vacation. That means the elders are in charge of the spiritual nourishment of the congregation. Deacons, who see to the physical needs of the Church as directed by the elders. Evangelists. This is a big one. Evangelists preach to the lost. Nowhere in the Bible does it say we must have a pulpit preacher preaching sermons to the faithful. Evangelists should be out in the community spreading the word. Pamphlets, home Bible study, tv programs, whatever it takes. And they can be supported by more than one congregation. What we essentially have in Protestantism today is a holdover from Catholicism where the minister is essentially the spiritual guide of the congregation just as the priest is in the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church hierarchy didn't evolve until several centuries after the founding of the Church. It's simply not in the Bible and was a major reason for the revolt of Luther and others because eventually the hierarchy worked with rulers to enrich themselves. Power, money, and corruption.

oldngray

nowhere special
Which is why I believe in New Testament Christianity. There are three offices mentioned. Elders, who are apt to teach. That doesn't mean filling in for the minister when he's on vacation. That means the elders are in charge of the spiritual nourishment of the congregation. Deacons, who see to the physical needs of the Church as directed by the elders. Evangelists. This is a big one. Evangelists preach to the lost. Nowhere in the Bible does it say we must have a pulpit preacher preaching sermons to the faithful. Evangelists should be out in the community spreading the word. Pamphlets, home Bible study, tv programs, whatever it takes. And they can be supported by more than one congregation. What we essentially have in Protestantism today is a holdover from Catholicism where the minister is essentially the spiritual guide of the congregation just as the priest is in the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church hierarchy didn't evolve until several centuries after the founding of the Church. It's simply not in the Bible and was a major reason for the revolt of Luther and others because eventually the hierarchy worked with rulers to enrich themselves. Power, money, and corruption.

Elders and Deacon roles kind of overlap. They could be combined into one position or split into two. I won't try to argue which way of looking at is more correct. A preacher/evangelist would definitely be a different role though. Not everyone has a calling to preach and they can differ from more evangelism to more teaching. Many lay preachers are very good evangelists. They don't have to be formally ordained although most are. I have absolutely no calling to preach but have taught classes and am an ordained Deacon.

Last edited:

floridays

I agree but am being told belief is enough, you can't lose your salvation. Will the devils go to heaven? They believe.
No, Van.. I'll give you a little place to start, the scripture says no man seeks God, look it up see where it leads you.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Some people feel the need for a more structured environment to worship. Nothing wrong with that. Some prefer a looser or more casual setting. Nothing wrong with that either.
Exactly!
As Paul preached.

The biggest fault I find with organized churches and religions is that people use them to control other people.

The Worst moral character in a person is when they define how other people must behave outside of hurting other people.
To me, this is the essence of Libertarian thought.
If it doesn't hurt you, ain't none of your :censored2:ing business.

vantexan

Exactly!
As Paul preached.

The biggest fault I find with organized churches and religions is that people use them to control other people.

The Worst moral character in a person is when they define how other people must behave outside of hurting other people.
To me, this is the essence of Libertarian thought.
If it doesn't hurt you, ain't none of your :censored2:ing business.
OK, Libertarianism is your religion.

vantexan

Was enslaving your people to build the missions moral?
Not defending that. The Spanish were extremely harsh on Native Americans. The British weren't much better. There are plenty of accounts of priests defending and protecting natives. The conquistadors in power were a different matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.