Retirement Getting Closer

quad decade guy

For me as retirement got closer and closer the more I didn’t give a dam. I would know exactly how many days I had left till the last day and loved counting them down. I had 25 days left and a supervisor came up to me about telematics. I just looked at him with that I don’t give a dam look and told him “You only have 25 more days and I will be gone” he just walked away without saying anything more. I enjoy the last days as much as possible realizing that this would be my last days doing this. I told my supervisor I didn’t want any recognition or to even mention I was leaving my last day. I told the drivers around me and anyone I wanted to know. The last day driving in to work all I kept thinking was “WOW” I don’t know how many times “wow” would come to my mind but is was often. The walk out after work was great. I went and said goodby to a Lady that worked in the office that I had helped with finances at times and then slipped out without even seeing a supervisor. The walk out of the building was such a great and different feeling. The drive away from the building was even greater.
Enjoy your last days and really absorb what you have accomplished. Good Luck!
39+ yrs… 18 to 57 yrs old I spent there.
This is curious...you get 4 thumbs up and 2 winners....and you are a hero! 39 years(congrats)(I mean that). Our stats eerily similar.

Yet.....I'm belittled and abused.....so odd......for those same accomplishments.

Yet, only at the very last you "didn't give a damn"....which means(to me) that you did care and all that entails. About whatever it took to survive and retire. Wearing your seatbelt and all of that.....of which I am always called being "scared"....

I'll stay a little longer to keep our no cost/fabulous insurance as I'm a long ways from 65(I'm 59) and my wife's care is about $10k per month.

I threw my 40 yr service plaque in the trash(in the office) after I got it. It was half-assed given to me by an ORS that had never even driven a pkg car or feeder. Ive been at UPS longer than most of my MGT has been alive.

That said....congrats.

quad decade guy

UPS was the means of my earning money, not the teamsters.
My route had to be split between three drivers when I retired.
Truth does not need to be exaggerated.
I really did work those hours and had to load my pkg car out of a trailer parked in a Wall Mart parking lot in every kind of weather.
From 110 degree heat to 20 degrees with no shelter from the elements.
Just to tickle you thinking I talk BS, it was 19yrs before I ever called in sick.
That was the only day I called in sick in 28 and1/2yrs.
My wife made me call in sick because I could not get out of bed.
Thanks for making my point, UPS paid me and the teamsters never contributed a dime.
I rarely bad mouth UPS, as a whole, but I have had personal confrontations/conversations from division managers down to part time pre load sup's and an occasional physical confrontation with fellow drivers.
My wealth came from not relying on others.
Your journey/story is quite extraordinary......from criminal(this is vague) to "wealthy"

I'll accept your phenomenal returns on investment and "wealth".....but I can't imagine unless you had some sort of secondary income source(wife a Doc or some such)(endless possibilities) of which those 28 years were like and suspect still are. Anecdotal story: I was reading about a couple that was asking(both 52) can they retire with $8 million? With a combined income of $400k.....annually. I suspect they aren't UPS satellite delivery drivers. We all hear of the old man(or lady) living modestly..... dying wealthy...knowing their existence....I usually conclude.....I wouldn't trade with them.

Now, I'm going to have to say I think you are at the very least.....intellectually dishonest.

You trade on completely eliminating any Teamster contribution to your "wealth". When in fact, you could not have done it without them. I don't know of anyone at UPS(besides you) that thinks UPS would pay anything close to our wages and benefits without a Union contract. It's simply ludicrous. Your hostility(hatred) of the Union construct is hypocritical at least. And I'm no rah rah homer for the Union.

You rarely bad mouth UPS....but always rip the Union.....this is curious. On your knees for one.....the hand to the other.

quad decade guy

Before UPS I was averaging 28K a year with miserable benefits, no retirement plan except one I started myself.

After UPS (1993-94) doubled my yearly average for about half the hours, much better bennies and at the time they had a Thrift plan and that evolved to 401k.

Most drivers retire millionaires if they are fortunate enough. What other company drivers can claim that , that are not union?
Most of the non union truck drivers now are making wages we were making 25 YEARS AGO!!!. ( even with the incredible driver shortage )

Last time I visited my hub , drivers were bragging of making 140K a year just on their wages. bennies must be 30-40k more. My last 5 years I averaged 100-105 a year on wages .All with 6 weeks of vacation , 9 sick days and I think there were 8-9 paid holidays. Retired in 2015.

Teamsters negotiated our pension plans. Making a pretty good pension for only 22.5 years of service. Our medical is excellent. ( Western Conference )

I see no comparison and have NO respect for people who benefit without paying for it.
If fortunate enough....

Here, real estate is about 1/4 to 1/3 less compared to say CA/NY.....of which being a "millionaire" is based for many.

Most middle class folks are of which you described as coming nowhere close to our pay and benefits. Thus, retiring like everyone else.

I know a lot of folks that think $180k is a lot of money. Winning the lottery for some. It's nice and goes a long way to being comfortable vs. struggling. Having $200k in a 401k is nice....and when folks add their "real estate holdings" into the equation to push their "wealth" into being wealthy....Ok. but when you sell your house...then what?

Buying a house in LA for $40k 50 years ago or inheriting it and being $750k today...doesn't make you wealthy. Remembering your worth being as much cash as you can get your hands on.....now. No? A proverb....something about "1 in the hand is better than....."

I have a friend whose DAD seemed to be savvy and smart with money and real estate....We(w/friend) talked about his Pop being 90+ and what follows....knowing of how his Dad invested and held these investments for years. He recently sold everything etc...I asked my friend...."So, you're in for a windfall....?". Friend: " Not really....my Dad maybe has $500k which will be split between my Sister and me..."

Message? Estimations and what really happens(actual net) can be wildly different.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
2F0B74CD-7EB7-4D85-9B85-1E04829272FA.gif
What? To take are of folks....parents ....wife?

The best of humanity....something of which you would know nothing.
Thanks tough guy. Since you know absolutely nothing about me. I know much about your type though. One in every building. You: look at me! I’m so smart! I know everything! Look at me! 😅

quad decade guy

View attachment 359578
Thanks tough guy. Since you know absolutely nothing about me. I know much about your type though. One in every building. You: look at me! I’m so smart! I know everything! Look at me! 😅
Somewhat true. I do know how you conduct yourself on BC.

I spend most of my time on BC fending off hateful folks like you.

I would rather talk about issues and solutions.......

"Look at me". Hardly. How about...."I've been here 40 years and pull up a chair..." Sadly, it never gets past the first personal attack.

No? It's all there....and you are part of it.

And "types"......there are half a dozen of you guys on here. Most.....don't work at UPS and are far from relevant....sound familiar?

UnionStrong

"Look at me". Hardly. How about...."I've been here 40 years and pull up a chair..." Sadly, it never gets past the first personal attack.

And "types"......there are half a dozen of you guys on here. Most.....don't work at UPS and are far from relevant....sound familiar?
No one cares mr know it all. Your opinion means zilch too me.

UnionStrong

He thinks there's some secret he holds to working here a long time. It's all a narcissistic bunch of crap because he has to feel important. I've never seen more words used to say nothing in my life.
He thinks there's some secret he holds to working here a long time. It's all a narcissistic bunch of crap because he has to feel important. I've never seen more words used to say nothing in my life.
My thoughts exactly.

quad decade guy

No one cares mr know it all. Your opinion means zilch too me.
My thoughts exactly.
I've never seen so much energy and attention(words)(even pictures) used to belittle and spread hate for a career UPS'er. Well, there are a few others...

Say, what is this secret you are referring to and where/when did I say I think so? Exactly now. I don't know about secrets....but I follow good work ethics, hard work and safety practices that have allowed me a Circle of Honor driving record and 40 years of no lost time injuries. Far from being a secret unless you are too foolish/hateful to listen....Say, maybe ask someone to help you with reading comprehension.

You complain bitterly about not finding any information or meaning in my posts.....So, why do you attempt to read them? Who is the fool here? Maybe I could use pictures too?

My thoughts exactly.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
I've never seen so much energy and attention(words)(even pictures) used to belittle and spread hate for a career UPS'er. Well, there are a few others...

Say, what is this secret you are referring to and where/when did I say I think so? Exactly now. I don't know about secrets....but I follow good work ethics, hard work and safety practices that have allowed me a Circle of Honor driving record and 40 years of no lost time injuries. Far from being a secret unless you are too foolish/hateful to listen....Say, maybe ask someone to help you with reading comprehension.

You complain bitterly about not finding any information or meaning in my posts.....So, why do you attempt to read them? Who is the fool here? Maybe I could use pictures too?

My thoughts exactly.
You are a great addition to Brown Café, please never leave. You and Frankie are two of my favorites

UnionStrong

My thoughts exactly.
2D2933D9-9AA7-4EC8-BC52-A9F8832FC1E5.gif

UnionStrong

I conduct myself accordingly. I treat friends one way, idiots another, frauds and blowhards another etc.

satellitedriver

Your journey/story is quite extraordinary......from criminal(this is vague) to "wealthy"

I'll accept your phenomenal returns on investment and "wealth".....but I can't imagine unless you had some sort of secondary income source(wife a Doc or some such)(endless possibilities) of which those 28 years were like and suspect still are. Anecdotal story: I was reading about a couple that was asking(both 52) can they retire with $8 million? With a combined income of $400k.....annually. I suspect they aren't UPS satellite delivery drivers. We all hear of the old man(or lady) living modestly..... dying wealthy...knowing their existence....I usually conclude.....I wouldn't trade with them.

Now, I'm going to have to say I think you are at the very least.....intellectually dishonest.

You trade on completely eliminating any Teamster contribution to your "wealth". When in fact, you could not have done it without them. I don't know of anyone at UPS(besides you) that thinks UPS would pay anything close to our wages and benefits without a Union contract. It's simply ludicrous. Your hostility(hatred) of the Union construct is hypocritical at least. And I'm no rah rah homer for the Union.

You rarely bad mouth UPS....but always rip the Union.....this is curious. On your knees for one.....the hand to the other.
I also had a side business doing custom metal work. Also made money selling hay cultivated in my fields. My wife had a $10hr job and had a side stain glass business. I would get paid to install her work in churches, nursing homes and custom homes.
No inheritance, ect... . Just plain old hard work 7 days a week for my wife and myself.
By being frugal, my wife was able to retire 16yrs ago.
For the last 45yr's getting 6hr's sleep was a long night sleeps, mainly it was about 4hr's.
I do not live modestly. Money means only one thing to me, security for my family.
Intellectually dishonest? How so? I hired on at UPS not even knowing there was a union involved.
I hired on at UPS because it was a means to make a paycheck and still be able to live where I chose to live.
I find it ironic that the bulk of my "wealth" came from investing in non union company's.
Three of my brothers and my only sister all made more money, benefits and retirement working for non union company's.
So unionism is not the only way to go.
As I stated before many times, I am not anti-union.
The teamsters leaders lied in 1997 and that's why I quit.
Two things I truly hate, and have hostility towards, is a liar or a thief.
I bend my knee only to God and He was the one that gave me a hand up.
The vague part of my criminal trial/ criminality, in front of a Federal Judge was that I got off with a misdemeanor and probation when by statute I could have gone to Huntsville State Prison.
Any other questions?