Retirement process

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
You can walk out at a moments notice as long as you've met the requirements to retire. I've seen it happen. Friend of mine walked out mid shift, he couldn't do it anymore. He was years past qualified to retire and watched a friend of his pass away having worked right up until his death. He came to his senses and said, why am I still working? I on the other hand filed my paperwork 3 months out from the day I wanted to retire. I had met requirements almost a year earlier. In order to bail out without notice, you have to be able to go 3 months without a check because that's how long it takes them to process all of your paperwork. They will back pay those 3 months, and your retirement date will be the day you walk out, but you won't see that check until 3 months later. The bigger issue is seamless transition of healthcare coverage. Everyone's retirement healthcare is different depending on what area you're in, so you'd better check with your local administrator instead of taking anyone's word here.

badpal

It takes about 90 days, most of us will wait till our seniority to get all of our vacations and sick days. You need to do retirement and your healthcare together. If you make a mistake I heard, you have to start over.
Wonder what happens if you retire and still had vacation time left? I dont want to announce via the vacation schedule and just as well management at the local level doesn't know.

Johney

Wonder what happens if you retire and still had vacation time left? I dont want to announce via the vacation schedule and just as well management at the local level doesn't know.
I left the last day of Nov 2021 and they owed me my 6 weeks for 2022 vacations. I got that check(all 6 weeks)before the end of Dec.

ImDone

You can walk out at a moments notice as long as you've met the requirements to retire. I've seen it happen. Friend of mine walked out mid shift, he couldn't do it anymore. He was years past qualified to retire and watched a friend of his pass away having worked right up until his death. He came to his senses and said, why am I still working? I on the other hand filed my paperwork 3 months out from the day I wanted to retire. I had met requirements almost a year earlier. In order to bail out without notice, you have to be able to go 3 months without a check because that's how long it takes them to process all of your paperwork. They will back pay those 3 months, and your retirement date will be the day you walk out, but you won't see that check until 3 months later. The bigger issue is seamless transition of healthcare coverage. Everyone's retirement healthcare is different depending on what area you're in, so you'd better check with your local administrator instead of taking anyone's word here.
Thanks. I'm at the point now that I just wanna submit my paperwork and just have the option to call it quits when I want. 31 years and so much has changed. I'm burned out and just want to be out of here. I'm not worried about insurance as I have the VA that I'm covered by. I've had my fill and I'm thankful for the time here and the great pay and benifits

Over70irregs

Thanks. I'm at the point now that I just wanna submit my paperwork and just have the option to call it quits when I want. 31 years and so much has changed. I'm burned out and just want to be out of here. I'm not worried about insurance as I have the VA that I'm covered by. I've had my fill and I'm thankful for the time here and the great pay and benifits
When a man is at his end, it is time to move on. Go in peace, my brother.

Johney

Tramcare is automatically added so you'll have to request it not be.

pkgdriver

Is the retire online, actually all online, or do you still have to send paperwork in?
Most of mine was online/email. I still had to send hard copies for final.

IMG_3684.jpeg