Saturday after Thanksgiving

DOK

Our PDS told a few of us that Corporate has not decided if we will be working any Saturdays at all.

What have you heard, if anything?
I haven't heard anything special about Saturdays. Though personally I didn't book any Christmas travel plans because that Saturday before Christmas has me feeling a little uneasy.

We’re working Saturday’s, I’m not so much worried about Saturday the 23rd as I am Sunday the 24th...

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
What about Mondays forced when Im a Tuesday threw Saturday driver? Was sent a message yesturday that due to volume I have to work Monday. Thats crap... one day off Sunday isnt enough
they should be utilizing you as little as possible this monday so you have full hours next saturday

if they put you out all day, they're desperate

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

they should be utilizing you as little as possible this monday so you have full hours next saturday

if they put you out all day, they're desperate

See this is the disconnect with the ivory tower and boots on the ground. Man I bet you a lot of guys on here would tell you, if they asked, and I did there district managers did they get all the drivers they asked for they would say hell no! We're 100 drivers short in the our district! Dude most UPS people are desperate during this time. 17% ecommerce shopping above last year already! Come on!! What the :censored2:!

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
All these guys who claim they can’t force a sixth punch, is that a supplemental thing? Or is there language somewhere in the master?

I agree but where does it say that they CAN force? I don't really care one way or the other, just playing devil's advocate here but this is a union shop and not some regular employer who can say "if you don't come in, you will be terminated". So what would the violation be for not coming in to UPS if told we were forced? It's not a cardinal violation to not report to work after working your scheduled week.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Really? Then why are routes cut on Monday then? It doesn't ease anything. If anything it makes it worse for those of us who's route is always in.
Around here, we fire up our peak dispatch plan Monday morning, and don't cut cars at all until after Christmas. More than enough work to keep everybody busy.

The only thing that may make Monday different is instead of putting a few guys out on a full route they may do sweeps the entire day to get volume back for twilight. And that's only if we're lighter than expected, and from what it sounds, that won't be a problem.

HULKAMANIA

I don't see the volume being there tomorrow. At least where I'm at I don't. Where I'm at their expected packages are always ways off compared to the volume that's actually there.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I don't see the volume being there tomorrow. At least where I'm at I don't. Where I'm at their expected packages are always ways off compared to the volume that's actually there.
I'll probably have the easiest day I've had all year tomorrow. Maybe 70 stops all resies in a small mountain town and about 250 miles.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I agree but where does it say that they CAN force? I don't really care one way or the other, just playing devil's advocate here but this is a union shop and not some regular employer who can say "if you don't come in, you will be terminated". So what would the violation be for not coming in to UPS if told we were forced? It's not a cardinal violation to not report to work after working your scheduled week.
Work as instructed right? Unless you have you have supplemental language that specifically prohibits the company from requiring you to work a 6th punch then yes they can require you to work. Now obviously you can call in that day using proper call in procedures and there is not much they can do, but if you straight out tell your boss that you are refusing to work they can walk you out.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

If you don’t have an attendance problem

It would just be a call in

Now iam sure the OCS will throw a sheet fit and say the whole operation is depending on you

Oh Well!!

scooby0048

if you straight out tell your boss that you are refusing to work they can walk you out.

I'm not saying that, as that would be gross insubordination, a cardinal offense. I'm saying can they really force you? Not really. You don't have to call in on a scheduled day off, and not showing up on a scheduled day off is not an attendance issue nor is it a cardinal violation.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm not saying that, as that would be gross insubordination, a cardinal offense. I'm saying can they really force you? Not really. You don't have to call in on a scheduled day off, and not showing up on a scheduled day off is not an attendance issue nor is it a cardinal violation.
If they tell you that you have to work that day then it's not a scheduled day off right? That would certainly be the company's argument anyway. In my experience they usually clear it with the local before they do something like this, so before you decide to just not show up I would check with a steward.

scooby0048

If they tell you that you have to work that day then it's not a scheduled day off right? That would certainly be the company's argument anyway. In my experience they usually clear it with the local before they do something like this, so before you decide to just not show up I would check with a steward.
An adjustment to start time needs to be at least 24 hours in advance. My schedule for the next week on the other hand, needs to be posted by the end of shift on Friday. I'm just playing devil's advocate on this mind you, but the hypothetical here is what could really be done if you just did not show up.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
An adjustment to start time needs to be at least 24 hours in advance. My schedule for the next week on the other hand, needs to be posted by the end of shift on Friday. I'm just playing devil's advocate on this mind you, but the hypothetical here is what could really be done if you just did not show up.
How do they handle no call no shows in your area? Assuming the company has followed contractual schedule change procedures and gotten the OK from the Local I think you're on pretty thin ice just not showing up if the company wants to make a case out of it. Maybe you'll win, but do you really want to risk your job to find out?

542thruNthru

How do they handle no call no shows in your area? Assuming the company has followed contractual schedule change procedures and gotten the OK from the Local I think you're on pretty thin ice just not showing up if the company wants to make a case out of it. Maybe you'll win, but do you really want to risk your job to find out?

Now this is just spit balling but doesn't the company have 10 days to discipline you after the infraction.

If that's true pretty sure no one is being walked out during peak unless it's the last couple weeks.

Even still Scooby has some good points. It would be easy to fight it if there is no evidence other than a sup saying they told you, you were scheduled

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...or better yet just save everyone the aggravation by showing up...