Saturday UPS Ground

Indecisi0n

Biggest issue with FedEx is their express/home pickups. How many times does a customer ask you, "can you take air"? I tell them if it's UPS then I can take anything. Meanwhile business customers have ground packages sit for over a week because they are waiting for the ground FedEx.

It will be fine

Biggest issue with FedEx is their express/home pickups. How many times does a customer ask you, "can you take air"? I tell them if it's UPS then I can take anything. Meanwhile business customers have ground packages sit for over a week because they are waiting for the ground FedEx.
We don't miss pickups that we know about. If the customer doesn't tell us they have a pickup how are we supposed to know? If any of my guys miss a scheduled pickup it costs me $300, it doesn't happen. The ground system lets us enter a code when a scheduled pickup is for express and our Cpc notifies express when those codes are entered. I'm not sure if express has a similar setup.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
We don't miss pickups that we know about. If the customer doesn't tell us they have a pickup how are we supposed to know? If any of my guys miss a scheduled pickup it costs me $300, it doesn't happen. The ground system lets us enter a code when a scheduled pickup is for express and our Cpc notifies express when those codes are entered. I'm not sure if express has a similar setup.
At Express, if it's coded 'no package', we receive a prompt asking if there's a Ground package. The system then denotes it as "Ground PUP only" but my understanding is that's as far as it goes (doesn't assign it to Ground ops). Unfortunately, IWBF, I have more instances where Ground picks up my Express packages, but ignores their own. Another reason why our opinion of Ground is so low.

dezguy

There are plenty of times I go to a pup that customer has scheduled a pup only for it to be ground and not express. Customers don't realize they have to differentiate between the two and pick the first option, instead.

We, then have to inform the confused customer that we can't take it and they'll have to call the 1800 number to schedule a ground pickup. Generally, I don't inform the customer that, that now means their package will be sitting till the next day because ground won't be out that day.

Not worth the headache of me having to try to explain FedEx's 20 different operating companies to a confused/angry customer.

dezguy

At Express, if it's coded 'no package', we receive a prompt asking if there's a Ground package. The system then denotes it as "Ground PUP only" but my understanding is that's as far as it goes (doesn't assign it to Ground ops). Unfortunately, IWBF, I have more instances where Ground picks up my Express packages, but ignores their own. Another reason why our opinion of Ground is so low.
We don't get that prompt, here. Would probably be useful rather than telling an irate con that they have to call FedEx's useless call centres.

McFeely

Huge Member
I usually just grab the ground stuff. If there are a lot of them or they're bulky, I text the ground dude on my route and let him know where he has a pickup to grab. He does the same for me.

dezguy

I usually just grab the ground stuff. If there are a lot of them or they're bulky, I text the ground dude on my route and let him know where he has a pickup to grab. He does the same for me.
Ground operators have threatened to sue Express for grabbing their stuff so we've been told not to touch it.

So much for cooperation between operations, like on the sfa.

McFeely

Huge Member
I guess I didn't mention that I give him the Ground stuff at our last stop where we both pick up.

I don't wanna carry that crap into my station :D

It will be fine

Ground operators have threatened to sue Express for grabbing their stuff so we've been told not to touch it.

So much for cooperation between operations, like on the sfa.
I had an express guy calling in complaints when my driver would bring an express envelope from a bulk Ground pickup to kinkos. I don't know why he cared so much but we had to stop helping that customer. The flip side is when express takes Ground you are taking a revenue opportunity from the contractor, the stops add up.

Oldfart

I grab at least 1 Ground package per day and give it to our counter to process The customer appreciates it and the station gets credit for the piece and our Ground guy appreciates the piece as well. The Ground guy actually throws a Wendys gift card my way every now and then to reward me for helping him out. Nice gesture and keeps my fat belly full sometimes.

It will be fine

I grab at least 1 Ground package per day and give it to our counter to process The customer appreciates it and the station gets credit for the piece and our Ground guy appreciates the piece as well. The Ground guy actually throws a Wendys gift card my way every now and then to reward me for helping him out. Nice gesture and keeps my fat belly full sometimes.
The ground guy gets dollars for a stop and pennies for a piece, you're not doing him any favors.

TUT

What gets me is Dell and Verizon. Phones, printers, monitors go out Express.... and then I see them in the UPS pile with an ARS tag the next day at the pack'n'ship place. I even experienced that myself with a Dell printer. All the printers (with standard shipping) came Express and then when it was time for them to go back because Dells firmware sucked... UPS was at my door with the call tags. soo... wtf?

Could be several things, perhaps better discounts on returns, could be more reliable on pickups. USPS does pretty well on returns as well.

robdabanks

I get the opposite, I get express stuff that the customer says has been sitting for days and no express drivers pick up. I usually just take all the express stuff from my stops and give it to my drop off/ pickup location. He hooks me up at Christmas time and everyone is happy.

MAKAVELI

I get the opposite, I get express stuff that the customer says has been sitting for days and no express drivers pick up. I usually just take all the express stuff from my stops and give it to my drop off/ pickup location. He hooks me up at Christmas time and everyone is happy.
I'm calling bs on that one. On the Express side, missed pickups have a greater impact than late deliveries.

Oldfart

Could be several things, perhaps better discounts on returns, could be more reliable on pickups. USPS does pretty well on returns as well.
Giving UPSP returns is a no brainer. Doesn't matter how long it takes to get there and it's already broken so rough handling doesn't matter