seniority

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Is there any Confidentiality Between an employee and a union steward? Can the union take this up with my sup without involving me in it at all? I just don't want my sup to think that I am trying to cause issues and I don't want my coworker to dislike me, he is a good guy and I don't want him to think that I am trying to take work from him.
I had a very similar issue when I was still a steward in delivery, cover driver came to me and said they were sending him home everyday and working junior drivers using the "route knowledge" excuse. I talked to the supervisor involved and told him he couldn't that do or we were going to file, they put him to work the next day. Sometimes that's all it takes. Don't worry about them getting mad, it's just a business decision. This other driver is probably doing a good job for them so they want to keep using him but ultimately what they want is to cover the route. Once you run it a few times and they see you do a decent job that's all they will care about.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I just don't want my sup to think that I am trying to cause issues and I don't want my coworker to dislike me, he is a good guy and I don't want him to think that I am trying to take work from him.
Don't worry about hurting your sup's feelings. They are taking money out of you and your family's pocket. They don't have your best interest in mind, they are just trying to make their numbers look better at your expense. Let them trample over you now, and they will do it from here on out.

1989NW

Article 4. Section 1.
Part time employees who successfully meet the qualification Standards for utility drivers Should be placed on the building utility driver list By area practice And will be dispatched by the most Senior Utility driver qualified To deliver or pick up By area knowledge. If judged to be not Qualified by area knowledge The company at its earliest Opportunity Will provide training To qualify the employee In the area knowledge needed. Dang

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Article 4. Section 1.
Part time employees who successfully meet the qualification Standards for utility drivers Should be placed on the building utility driver list By area practice And will be dispatched by the most Senior Utility driver qualified To deliver or pick up By area knowledge. If judged to be not Qualified by area knowledge The company at its earliest Opportunity Will provide training To qualify the employee In the area knowledge needed. Dang
They are required to train you so push them on that. If they drag their feet you can file on it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Article 4. Section 1.
That's not from article 4 of your supplement, where are you reading that?

1989NW

It also says lower down in that same article that It is hereby agreed by the company and the union that The company may deviate From seniority For lack of area knowledge For only two occurrences. An occurrence can be one work day of up to five work days On the same route. Thereafter The company will dispatch the utility driver By seniority for the route.

1989NW

Screenshot_2017-07-08-19-24-05.png

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It also says lower down in that same article that It is hereby agreed by the company and the union that The company may deviate From seniority For lack of area knowledge For only two occurrences. An occurrence can be one work day of up to five work days On the same route. Thereafter The company will dispatch the utility driver By seniority for the route.
Either way it looks like this has you covered, from what you've said it's been at least two occurrences of this guy working ahead of you. Talk to your steward on Monday.

542thruNthru

Keep in mind that you would lose the security of your preload hours for the uncertainty of cover driving, albeit at a much higher pay rate.

Article IX, section 1, paragraph friend:
A utility driver may be assigned by seniority to vacation coverage.
These vacation cover utility drivers would be released from their
inside position when assigned to a center for vacation cover and
scheduled on a weekly basis provided work is available, and shall
have rights to return to their previous position when this duty is
ended.
A utility driver assigned by seniority to vacation coverage
during May 1st through September 30th would be released from
their inside position when assigned to a center for vacation cover
and scheduled on a monthly basis provided work is available, and
shall have rights to return to their previous position when this duty
is ended