Show up on time, Give it my all and what does UPS do???

girlinbrown

So, what happened today? Did you work?

I was hired as a casual driver in October. Yesterday and today I too was told to go home, "we have nothing for you." Then my supervisor said "I'll let you know about tomorrow."

My question is, if I am done driving for the season, why don't they just say that? Why bother texting me every morning? Does volume really fluctuate so much they can't just go ahead and say "you're all done now?"

H

harley vulkrie

I was hired as a casual driver in October. Yesterday and today I too was told to go home, "we have nothing for you." Then my supervisor said "I'll let you know about tomorrow."

My question is, if I am done driving for the season, why don't they just say that? Why bother texting me every morning? Does volume really fluctuate so much they can't just go ahead and say "you're all done now?"

Yes, I agree. No , I did not work today. At least they had the decency to call me late yesterday evening to tell me not to report. HR, on the other hand won't return my phone calls. My orientation group were all told that we were permanent part time hires at the end of october. We even filled out all the union paperwork too. Why Lie? I love the people that defend this company to no end. Never holding them accountable for their actions. It's funny and pathetic at the same time. Just the low guy on the totem pole.....blah, blah, blah

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
Yes, I agree. No , I did not work today. At least they had the decency to call me late yesterday evening to tell me not to report. HR, on the other hand won't return my phone calls. My orientation group were all told that we were permanent part time hires at the end of october. We even filled out all the union paperwork too. Why Lie? I love the people that defend this company to no end. Never holding them accountable for their actions. It's funny and pathetic at the same time. Just the low guy on the totem pole.....blah, blah, blah

Im still a noob so I don't know this as fact, but I would guess HR tells you that you are permanent because it would be a hell of a lot harder to find people to stick around all through peak, and they need the bodies

H

harley vulkrie

I don't. I just don't feel sorry for people who start working for this company, then come on here and read about how everyone gets lied to about being seasonal and later act shocked when it happens to them.

Good, Don't feel sorry for me. I feel sorry for you actually.

haller

They do it to everyone FT, PT or seasonal. Ask anyone.

girlinbrown

That's too bad they haven't been honest. They did tell us our jobs were temporary --- but could continue again in the summer.

I paid for the union as well. We had to even as seasonals. I factored it in as a deduction of my total earnings - I just thought those total earnings would be a bit more.

I'm still curious about the volume predictions ...

rod

Retired 22 years
UPS does tend to be jerks the way they lead these guys on. I don't recall ANY temp employee being kept on after peak at my old center in 30 years although many thought they would be because they "gave it their all". Some were asked to come back for a temp job the next year and a few were stupid enough to do it.

J

jibbs

Good, Don't feel sorry for me. I feel sorry for you actually.

So the question's begging to be asked: if you truly feel this way, why are you waiting for the company to let you go? You know you can terminate employment on a more at-will basis than your employer can, right? Like, the ball's in your court, man, nobody's forcing you to be miserable.

But staying on despite the way you claim to feel? There's a contradiction in there somewhere, or maybe it's just a sense of entitlement.... Meh...

giphy.gif

That's too bad they haven't been honest. They did tell us our jobs were temporary --- but could continue again in the summer.

I paid for the union as well. We had to even as seasonals. I factored it in as a deduction of my total earnings - I just thought those total earnings would be a bit more.

I think that's less about volume fluctuation and more about attendance fluctuation.

They can't hire you as permanent at this point for whatever reason, so people like you keep your employment while being put on-call juuuuuuuuust in case they're down a driver or are forced to put in an extra route or what have you on any given day.

You're like an insurance policy, to be honest.

jaker

trolling
I love the people that defend this company to no end. Never holding them accountable for their actions. It's funny and pathetic at the same time. Just the low guy on the totem pole.....blah, blah, blah
Who in all these post defended them for what they are doing , the truth we are defending you of the lies That was told to you

Imagine if this site wasn't here and you had no idea what was really going to happen how you really be feeling right now , but because we was here to tell you are prepared for it admit it or not

Now please tell us how are we supposed to hold them accountable , you done this job long enough now to know we are only numbers and they don't care what we have to say

dudebro

It IS frustrating to be in the work / no work limbo.

How would you project the volume? It's Wed Dec 28th. You'd look at what?

girlinbrown

Look at pick-up volume? Shipping projections? I have no idea, that's why I asked. Maybe it's a ridiculous question. I'm ok with that.

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.

J

jibbs

Look at pick-up volume? Shipping projections? I have no idea, that's why I asked. Maybe it's a ridiculous question. I'm ok with that.

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.

Honestly, sometimes I think they just make the numbers up off the top of their head. The ones I see, anyways...

I mean, I know they don't and that there's some method to the madness, but the final results typically leave a lot to be desired (or, more specifically, left unmentioned.)

dudebro

Honestly, sometimes I think they just make the numbers up off the top of their head. The ones I see, anyways...

I mean, I know they don't and that there's some method to the madness, but the final results typically leave a lot to be desired (or, more specifically, left unmentioned.)

They look at them very hard. There's just no way to know everything. For instance, maybe the entire company is up 2%, so you plan that way, and overall, it might even come in right at 2%.

But the shipper 5 miles up the road releases 5k packages for a marketing blitz. That local sort / twilight will be saying "Who's the idiot that thought we'd be up 2%? They did this to cut staffing and screw the union/employees!" etc.

So poll the shippers, most would say. I've personally gone on road back in the day and I couldn't get a straight answer from some smaller companies on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving whether they were open on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

If anyone solves that mathematical chaos problem accurately, he or she will be wealthy enough not to have to worry about job conditions at UPS anymore.

J

jibbs

They look at them very hard. There's just no way to know everything. For instance, maybe the entire company is up 2%, so you plan that way, and overall, it might even come in right at 2%.

But the shipper 5 miles up the road releases 5k packages for a marketing blitz. That local sort / twilight will be saying "Who's the idiot that thought we'd be up 2%? They did this to cut staffing and screw the union/employees!" etc.

So poll the shippers, most would say. I've personally gone on road back in the day and I couldn't get a straight answer from some smaller companies on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving whether they were open on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

If anyone solves that mathematical chaos problem accurately, he or she will be wealthy enough not to have to worry about job conditions at UPS anymore.

Yeah, I hear you. Like I said, I know there's a method but....

Okay, so as a preloader the numbers I'm talking about are the load sheets that forecast each car's projection for the day. Key word there being projection, but still, I"m told to load bulk stops based off of load sheets that are incomplete for the most part.

"Incomplete" during peak meaning I'll show up to load sheets that forecast my trucks for 13, 29, 22 pieces and no bulk stops, knowing damn well that each truck is going to come close to 400-500 pieces with insane bulk stops like beauty salons, targets, wal-marts, post offices and the like.

That kind of information is hard to plan around and the frustration's gotta get vented somewhere... better at some faceless, nameless :censored2: in my head than the supervisor that could probably get me fired if I aimed some of my thoughts their way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You don't have to have any idea what you're talking about. Just make them think you do. Look at Orion.

Some idiot made millions off of it.