Snow day!!!

over9five

Staff member
Hmmm, tractor trailer ban on all state roads....

1612192197832.png

rod

Retired 23 years
They finally figured out that it wasn't cost effective to pay drivers just to go out and get stuck and not deliver anything. Not sure why it took so long.
They used to do that to us all the time. One time when I was on light duty after going back to work following my back injury they sent me out with 3 stops that were all on the back side of a big lake. I drove all around that lake (about 45 miles) in just about bumper high snow and didn't stop once. If did I would have been stuck. Drove back to the center and punched out.

ManInBrown

Never called out once for snow in package. Probably dealt with one, maybe two legit snowstorms per winter. I always went in. Looking back on it kind of surprised I went in every time. Had really one scary incident. Two lane hilly road. Car coming at me from other direction. Loses control and starts sliding and ends up coming right at me, and probably 40 yards before he would’ve hit me regains control. Was scared sheetless the rest of the day. In feeders I call out every snowstorm where projections are more than 3 inches. Different ballgame. You get into a major accident in feeders decent chance you die. No thanks. I’d say 50% feeders where I am calls out in snow.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Never called out once for snow in package. Probably dealt with one, maybe two legit snowstorms per winter. I always went in. Looking back on it kind of surprised I went in every time. Had really one scary incident. Two lane hilly road. Car coming at me from other direction. Loses control and starts sliding and ends up coming right at me, and probably 40 yards before he would’ve hit me regains control. Was scared sheetless the rest of the day. In feeders I call out every snowstorm where projections are more than 3 inches. Different ballgame. You get into a major accident in feeders decent chance you die. No thanks. I’d say 50% feeders where I am calls out in snow.
It’s not worth being a hero if or when you have an accident or get stuck, you get penalized.

Last edited:

ManInBrown

It’s not worth being a hero when if you have an accident or get stuck you get penalized.
Yeah I never got stuck in package. EC’d probably 70% of stops, and the rest got bagged and tossed at the mailbox. Went in, drove around for 8 hours and brought it in. A lot of times here, when it snows, the next day is even worse. Everything freezes and it gets cold as sheet out. So I knew the next day I’d freeze my arse off so I tried to get anything off. I’ll never forget a couple years ago, we went out and got called in at 3pm. The next day was 1000x worse then the snowstorm. Bright sun, 10 degrees. Everything froze. I’ve never been so cold in my life. Was the most torturous day I ever had in package. I’ll take snow in package anyday over rain. When it snows, you don’t get soaking wet.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Yeah I never got stuck in package. EC’d probably 70% of stops, and the rest got bagged and tossed at the mailbox. Went in, drove around for 8 hours and brought it in. A lot of times here, when it snows, the next day is even worse. Everything freezes and it gets cold as sheet out. So I knew the next day I’d freeze my arse off so I tried to get anything off. I’ll never forget a couple years ago, we went out and got called in at 3pm. The next day was 1000x worse then the snowstorm. Bright sun, 10 degrees. Everything froze. I’ve never been so cold in my life. Was the most torturous day I ever had in package. I’ll take snow in package anyday over rain. When it snows, you don’t get soaking wet.
Snow days here are great; easy money other than putting on and taking off the chains. It’s the next 5 days catching up in icy slush when your body gets destroyed

ManInBrown

Snow days here are great; easy money other than putting on and taking off the chains. It’s the next 5 days catching up in icy slush when your body gets destroyed
Yeah and when I was in package I was never asked to help another driver when finished. I did my work and brought it in, so it’s not like if I went in during a storm to get anything off, the next day I would just be asked to help someone when finished. So why not go in and make the following day as easy as possible for myself.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Who does the work if everybody calls out

rod

Retired 23 years
They took all our chains away in the 80's and replaced them with a bucket of chicken grit. They threw the chains away--even new ones. I've still got a few pair somewhere in my workshop that I rescued out of the UPS dumpster. I've made several sets of ATV chains out of my stash.

They took all our chains away in the 80's and replaced them with a bucket of chicken grit. They threw the chains away--even new ones. I've still got a few pair somewhere in my workshop that I rescued out of the UPS dumpster. I've made several sets of ATV chains out of my stash.
They don't even have the spreaders anymore for this slap chains

I refuse to use them

ManInBrown

Who does the work if everybody calls out
Who knows. Not my problem. I’ll let someone else play Superman. Like I said earlier, big difference between driving an ice cream truck down Apple St going 15mph, and pulling a 53 footer down an interstate Highway with a bunch of idiots making 15 bucks an hour driving like it’s bright sun and 85 out. I’m sure the coyotes are kept very busy, if it’s still within the timeframe of them working.

Last edited: