Survival Tips for Drivers? I am older & exhausted.

21_years_in

@bumped Paying my bills on 40 hrs/week was not a long term plan. I can pay my bills on 45 hrs/week, though.

You said this:

“I'm on the 9.5 list, and I'm willing to file if no effort is made to reduce my stops. Management won't take you seriously if you don't file. If they pay out your grievances, so be it. I use all my 8 hours every month whether I need them or not.”

To me, that should be the gospel for a UPS driver who wants to last 35 years. I will re-read that quote every morning.

We still del 90++% of the misroutes at my center.

21_years_in

We have a pretty small center, & I have worked on & off in the building for over 15 years. I have worked as an AM and PM clerk a lot.

Having spent a lot of time in the office, my observation is that mgmt. is just trying to get through the day. The highest rank we have in our center is a center manager, but the DM is seen visiting a view days a week.

As you know, IE busts their balls. The PPI (part time) and stops/car (Onroad) numbers are unrealistic, and very possibly irresponsible and unsafe.

We have at least 15% of the drivers on Worker’s Comp and another 10% or so on Disability. I mostly blame IE for this, & I have been watching very closely.

Thebrownblob

I am definitely not trolling. I am 58 years old, & I would not have the time or interest to troll.

Of course I know all about how the 9.5 grievances work!

I have been a fulltime driver for 27+ years. I have been on the 9.5 list about 5 times max, but never filed a grievance on it.

Me being on the 9.5 always ended with management *harassing* or *convincing* me (i.e. “bargaining a max stop count”), and I don’t stay on the 9.5 list for more than 1-3 weeks at the most.

I have basically been operating all this time with a “maximum stop count based on a handshake agreement.”
There’s no such thing as a handshake agreement if you’ve been here that long you really should know that. The company is under no obligation to keep that agreement.

badpal

It is getting to the point now to where I am too exhausted to work the 55-60 hours/week driving job.

This issue did not arise until after 29 years with UPS (27+ years as a driver). I have never had a lost time injury.

It is not surprising that working so many hours for so many years would leave a person exhausted.

I need survival tips so that I can hang on another 5 years.
Do what i do every day as an incentive to keep going after 40 years. Just think about spending 24/7 with the wife.

Cheesypurpletees

It is getting to the point now to where I am too exhausted to work the 55-60 hours/week driving job.

This issue did not arise until after 29 years with UPS (27+ years as a driver). I have never had a lost time injury.

It is not surprising that working so many hours for so many years would leave a person exhausted.

I need survival tips so that I can hang on another 5 years.

You can’t retire yet with 29 years at 58 years old?

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
27 years is a long time to drive for UPS. Id either retire or bid 22.3 or 22.2.
He quit his clerk job

Thebrownblob

30 years is a piece of cake (if you are a man)----no more though.
Hell yeah!

1721599772161.gif