The 2024 Presidential Race Thread

Box Ox

CLAIM: “They missed the statute of limitations by a lot because this was very old. They could have brought this seven years ago instead of bringing it right in the middle of the election.”

THE FACTS: Judge Merchan in February denied a request from Trump’s legal team to dismiss the indictment on the grounds that the statute of limitations had passed, according to court documents.

In his decision, Merchan cited pandemic-era executive orders issued in March 2020 and April 2021 by former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo that extended the limit on filing criminal charges.

New York’s statute of limitations for most felonies is five years. The earliest charge in Trump's felony indictment was described as occurring on Feb. 14, 2017, while the indictment was filed on March 30, 2023.

But Cuomo's executive orders meant that the deadline for filing the charges in the indictment was extended by one year and 47 days, meaning that it was brought just under the wire.

In New York, the clock can also stop on the statute of limitations when a defendant is continuously outside the state. Trump visited New York rarely over the four years of his presidency and now lives mostly in Florida and New Jersey. Merchan did not address this argument in his decision.

What date would be 2 years after February 14, 2017 and when was COVID?

Trump Was Convicted — But Prosecutors Contorted the Law (nymag.com)

May 31, 2024

"The charges against Trump are obscure, and nearly entirely unprecedented. In fact, no state prosecutor — in New York, or Wyoming, or anywhere — has ever charged federal election laws as a direct or predicate state crime, against anyone, for anything. None. Ever. Even putting aside the specifics of election law, the Manhattan DA itself almost never brings any case in which falsification of business records is the only charge.

Standing alone, falsification charges would have been mere misdemeanors under New York law, which posed two problems for the DA. First, nobody cares about a misdemeanor, and it would be laughable to bring the first-ever charge against a former president for a trifling offense that falls within the same technical criminal classification as shoplifting a Snapple and a bag of Cheetos from a bodega. Second, the statute of limitations on a misdemeanor — two years — likely has long expired on Trump’s conduct, which dates to 2016 and 2017.

So, to inflate the charges up to the lowest-level felony (Class E, on a scale of Class A through E) — and to electroshock them back to life within the longer felony statute of limitations— the DA alleged that the falsification of business records was committed “with intent to commit another crime.” Here, according to prosecutors, the “another crime” is a New York State election-law violation"

Babagounj

Strength through joy

May 31, 2024

"The charges against Trump are obscure, and nearly entirely unprecedented. In fact, no state prosecutor — in New York, or Wyoming, or anywhere — has ever charged federal election laws as a direct or predicate state crime, against anyone, for anything. None. Ever. Even putting aside the specifics of election law, the Manhattan DA itself almost never brings any case in which falsification of business records is the only charge.

Standing alone, falsification charges would have been mere misdemeanors under New York law, which posed two problems for the DA. First, nobody cares about a misdemeanor, and it would be laughable to bring the first-ever charge against a former president for a trifling offense that falls within the same technical criminal classification as shoplifting a Snapple and a bag of Cheetos from a bodega. Second, the statute of limitations on a misdemeanor — two years — likely has long expired on Trump’s conduct, which dates to 2016 and 2017.

So, to inflate the charges up to the lowest-level felony (Class E, on a scale of Class A through E) — and to electroshock them back to life within the longer felony statute of limitations— the DA alleged that the falsification of business records was committed “with intent to commit another crime.” Here, according to prosecutors, the “another crime” is a New York State election-law violation"
But Bragg never mentioned directly what that other crime was until his closing statement.

Sportello

May 31, 2024

So I replied with facts and you counter with an opinion piece from CNN?

You are competing with some pretty disingenuous people for top spot on goal post moving prize.

I am prevented from responding in real time, so I don’t always see all the posts. Some folks are afraid of my opinions.

vantexan

Next I expect to be told 2000 Mules was factual, right @vantexan ?
Here's a news flash for you. Now that Trump has been convicted a precedent has been set. You can't commit fraud to influence an election. Correct? If so then after Trump is reelected his Attorney General should go after Joe Biden and Antony Blinkin. Why? Knowing that Hunter Biden's laptop was indeed Hunter's laptop Blinkin got 51 former intelligence officers to sign a letter stating the laptop was classic Russian disinformation. The Biden campaign ran an operation to get that out to the public through the NY Times. They committed fraud to influence the election. Now that precedent has been set with the Trump conviction I certainly hope that Biden and Blinkin pay for their crimes.

Just saw a short video where an election observer noted that mail in ballots were coming in numerical sequence in her testimony. And had the date "November 2020" on them without a specific day. So "2000 Mules" is highly likely to be factual.

Sportello

Here's a news flash for you. Now that Trump has been convicted a precedent has been set. You can't commit fraud to influence an election. Correct? If so then after Trump is reelected his Attorney General should go after Joe Biden and Antony Blinkin. Why? Knowing that Hunter Biden's laptop was indeed Hunter's laptop Blinkin got 51 former intelligence officers to sign a letter stating the laptop was classic Russian disinformation. The Biden campaign ran an operation to get that out to the public through the NY Times. They committed fraud to influence the election. Now that precedent has been set with the Trump conviction I certainly hope that Biden and Blinkin pay for their crimes.

Just saw a short video where an election observer noted that mail in ballots were coming in numerical sequence in her testimony. And had the date "November 2020" on them without a specific day. So "2000 Mules" is highly likely to be factual.
Lol

tourists24

Maybe Trump can just get his daughter Tiffany to be his Attorney General. No one is above the law

Sportello

Give it up already.

Move on.

Box Ox

CLAIM: “They missed the statute of limitations by a lot because this was very old. They could have brought this seven years ago instead of bringing it right in the middle of the election.”

THE FACTS: Judge Merchan in February denied a request from Trump’s legal team to dismiss the indictment on the grounds that the statute of limitations had passed, according to court documents.

In his decision, Merchan cited pandemic-era executive orders issued in March 2020 and April 2021 by former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo that extended the limit on filing criminal charges.

New York’s statute of limitations for most felonies is five years. The earliest charge in Trump's felony indictment was described as occurring on Feb. 14, 2017, while the indictment was filed on March 30, 2023.

But Cuomo's executive orders meant that the deadline for filing the charges in the indictment was extended by one year and 47 days, meaning that it was brought just under the wire.

In New York, the clock can also stop on the statute of limitations when a defendant is continuously outside the state. Trump visited New York rarely over the four years of his presidency and now lives mostly in Florida and New Jersey. Merchan did not address this argument in his decision.

May 31, 2024

You are competing with some pretty disingenuous people for top spot on goal post moving prize.

I am prevented from responding in real time, so I don’t always see all the posts. Some folks are afraid of my opinions.

Would you like to compare authors of our respective pieces and discuss which one likely has a better understanding of how the law works? I don't think it would work out in your favor but we can if you want.

Sportello

Would you like to compare authors of our respective pieces and discuss which one likely has a better understanding of how the law works? I don't think it would work out in your favor but we can if you want.
I’d be more than happy to if I could respond in real time.

Do you want facts or opinions that justify your feelings?

Let everything play out in our legal system.

I welcome a speedy completion to the questions before us, as a nation. Some wish to slow the wheels of justice as long as .

Demand a speedy end to this situation, stop delaying.

Box Ox

I’d be more than happy to if I could respond in real time.

Do you want facts or opinions that justify your feelings?

Bet my author has far better command of the facts than yours does. You shouldn't be so confident just because your source is from ABC News and has "Fact" in the title. See who wrote yours and who wrote mine. I've already checked all of it.

I welcome a speedy completion to the questions before us, as a nation.

Doubt you'd like for Trump's appeals process to play out before November 5. This is easy for you to say because you know it won't.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
1717417768766.png