The 2024 Presidential Race Thread

Doublestandards

A courier in the Minneapolis area was fired a couple of days ago for leaving his vehicles hatch-back wide open with boxes of early voter's ballots just sitting there for anyone to come along and tamper with. Wide open with no one around to watch them.
Unbelievably irresponsible and unacceptable

Thankfully it was all on camera and confirmed nothing was tampered with, and I believe he was fired

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
So you would oppose a move to deny Trump's win under the basis he is an insurrectionist so ineligible for office?
Yes, I would oppose that. I don't think that's the place for that kind of action.

Once the people speak, that's it. It's too late. Just my opinion.
Cool.
It's a pretty far out possibility anyway.

I know Jamie Raskin has floated the idea already, but I would hope most Democrats would agree with you and not get behind the move. If they even win the House in the first place.

Next Day Err

Cool.
It's a pretty far out possibility anyway.

I know Jamie Raskin has floated the idea already, but I would hope most Democrats would agree with you and not get behind the move. If they even win the House in the first place.
I honest to God just want the candidates all over the country who win the most votes/EC votes to win. I want us to keep American democracy going even if that means unsavory people taking power. We can overcome bad policy and bad politicians but if we turn our backs on one-person-one-vote and rule of law we're screwed.

I honest to God just want the candidates all over the country who win the most votes/EC votes to win. I want us to keep American democracy going even if that means unsavory people taking power. We can overcome bad policy
and bad politicians but if we turn our backs on one-person-one-vote and rule of law we're screwed.
False

History is filled with kingdoms and oligarchies that survived centuries on good policy, but bad policy will kill a democracy dead, just ask the Athenians

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Do you disagree with Trump asking pence to not certify the 2020 election?
That's an odd phrasing. I don't "disagree" with him asking, I think Trump has the right to pursue what he believed was a legitimate legal path.

I think Trump got bad legal advice and disagree with the idea that Pence had the sole authority to deny certification.

There was a legal path to delay certification, as presented by Ted Cruz. That path wasn't followed because the Capitol Police were left unprepared and unwilling to stop a riot, and when the session restarted no one would pursue it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If there is a law for that, he hasn’t been convicted in court for that crime yet. So yea I did answer.
Nope, you still haven't answered.
The question is not about being convicted in court.

If the Democrats win the House they can simply pass a resolution declaring him an insurrectionist. That would make him ineligible. Without a trial.

Would you support that move that (D)Raskin has floated?

Doublestandards

That's an odd phrasing. I don't "disagree" with him asking, I think Trump has the right to pursue what he believed was a legitimate legal path.

I think Trump got bad legal advice and disagree with the idea that Pence had the sole authority to deny certification.

There was a legal path to delay certification, as presented by Ted Cruz. That path wasn't followed because the Capitol Police were left unprepared and unwilling to stop a riot, and when the session restarted no one would pursue it.
Funny how when you asked us it was “simple yes or no”

There was no evidence of fraud. The courts showed that. Trump encouraged his voters to join a MASSIVE protest directly outside where votes were being certified, calling the event “stop the steal” all while asking Mike Pence to not certify the election

It sounds to me like you’re saying you don’t have problem with Trump trying to not certify the election. Is that correct?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Funny how when you asked us it was “simple yes or no”
I answered you, no I do not disagree with Trump having the right to pursue what he believed was a legal path to verify the integrity of the election.

I do not believe Trump's belief was correct though.

I believe Ted Cruz presented a more sound legal path to certifying it was a fair election.

Doublestandards

I answered you, no I do not disagree with Trump having the right to pursue what he believed was a legal path to verify the integrity of the election.

I do not believe Trump's belief was correct though.

I believe Ted Cruz presented a more sound legal path to certifying it was a fair election.
Yes or no, should Trump have asked Pence to not certify the 2020 election on Jan 6?

Doublestandards

I’ll help him: no.

Trump’s project was to overturn the election results thereby taking the people’s power away.
Holds an event called “stop the steal” while saying they stole the election from us, even while behind the scenes his top advisors are telling him that not true

Called Georgia governor asking them to “find” the exact amount of votes it would take for him to win the state

Series of fake electors

Asks Mike Pence to not certify the results (who is now not supporting him for president, says he doesn’t respect the constitution and asked to be put above it)

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Yes or no, should Trump have asked Pence to not certify the 2020 election on Jan 6?
No, I just told you I don't think Pence had the sole authority to not certify, so why would I think Trump should have asked?

I also disagree with the Democrats' move to try to lock Trump up as an insurrectionist because he asked. Trump had the right to ask, even though the legal advice he was following was bad.

Doublestandards

No, I just told you I don't think Pence had the sole authority to not certify, so why would I think Trump should have asked?

I also disagree with the Democrats' move to try to lock Trump up as an insurrectionist because he asked. Trump had the right to ask, even though the legal advice he was following was bad.
It was that in combination with all the other things he did in order to try and overturn the election

You keep framing the question as if I’m asking you if he legally had the means to do it. I’m asking your opinion, morally and ethically. We know Trump was told there was no widespread fraud in the election. Do you not think it was wrong to still ask for the election to not be certified?