THE TRUMP 2024 THREAD

newolddude

GBwIyjHXMAAM8uP

Box Ox

What can be, unburdened by what has been.

I have very strong feelings about January 6 and against Trump but the dissenting judges are correct.

Removal of a candidate from a federal election by a state without a conviction for what the state has decided they’ve done seems to set a very dangerous precedent.

“Boatright, in his dissent, wrote that the "absence of an insurrection-related conviction" against Trump should have called for the case to be dismissed.

Samour wrote that the majority's opinion "flies in the face of the due process doctrine."

vantexan

I have very strong feelings about January 6 and against Trump but the dissenting judges are correct.

Removal of a candidate from a federal election by a state without a conviction for what the state has decided they’ve done seems to set a very dangerous precedent.

“Boatright, in his dissent, wrote that the "absence of an insurrection-related conviction" against Trump should have called for the case to be dismissed.

Samour wrote that the majority's opinion "flies in the face of the due process doctrine."
That's the thing, he keeps being accused of wanting to be a dictator yet it's the opposition that has acted in very authoritarian ways.

vantexan

Correct, the Colorado SC. States control their election processes and eligibility. How far do we let the Federal Government dig into state's laws??
Another point to ponder. It's a political party that decides who its nominee is, not the state. It's the opposition party that went to the state of Colorado and said we don't like him. Is that what you want the election process to devolve to, letting the opposition dictate who you can vote for? Demonizing opposition candidates has always happened but seeking to control who another party chooses to run and using the state's authority to quash the candidacy of political enemies is going way beyond the democratic process.

Up In Smoke

Due process to start. Trump has not been tried for or convicted of treason against the United States.
There was a suit filed in September and a trial in October/November. There were prosecutors, defendants, witnesses and a judge that participated in the legal proceedings. A legal determination was made and as of yesterday confirmed by the state's Supreme Court. Of course as the system allows, there will be an appeals process through the SCOTUS.

Up In Smoke

Another point to ponder. It's a political party that decides who its nominee is, not the state. It's the opposition party that went to the state of Colorado and said we don't like him. Is that what you want the election process to devolve to, letting the opposition dictate who you can vote for? Demonizing opposition candidates has always happened but seeking to control who another party chooses to run and using the state's authority to quash the candidacy of political enemies is going way beyond the democratic process.
If a party wants a candidate that is only 27 years old, should rules be ignored to allow the party's choice to be on a ballot.

vantexan

If a party wants a candidate that is only 27 years old, should rules be ignored to allow the party's choice to be on a ballot.
By law a candidate for president, for example, must be at least 35 years old. I'm assuming he might run at 34 but must be 35 when sworn in but I digress. There's a law in place enforcing that. What requirement to run is Trump not fulfilling? What law is enforcing that requirement? Big difference between being the minimum age and being tried and convicted of a crime that disqualifies you.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
By law a candidate for president, for example, must be at least 35 years old. I'm assuming he might run at 34 but must be 35 when sworn in but I digress. There's a law in place enforcing that. What requirement to run is Trump not fulfilling? What law is enforcing that requirement? Big difference between being the minimum age and being tried and convicted of a crime that disqualifies you.
He’s blowing smoke. Closet leftist.

vantexan

There was a suit filed in September and a trial in October/November. There were prosecutors, defendants, witnesses and a judge that participated in the legal proceedings. A legal determination was made and as of yesterday confirmed by the state's Supreme Court. Of course as the system allows, there will be an appeals process through the SCOTUS.
And you're likely to see a 9-0 reversal. A civil suit isn't the equivalent of being convicted of treason in a Federal court. For crying out loud there's a Federal special prosecutor going after Trump right now and he's not alleging treason. A riot does not equal an insurrection. An insurrection is meant to overthrow the government. The idea that a bunch of unarmed middle aged men could overthrow the U.S. government is ludicrous on so many levels. And a gross caricature of the judicial process charging Trump with that.

And that's so silly on so many levels that I'm embarrassed for you.

Section 3 Disqualification from Holding Office​

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

vantexan

He’s blowing smoke. Closet leftist.
I hope he diligently drives down to his precinct polling station and casts his vote to stop the dictatorship of one Donald J. Trump! And then reflects on how the "dictator" didn't just seize power without an election.

Last edited:

vantexan

Section 3 Disqualification from Holding Office​

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.
Huge, enormous difference between an insurrection and a protest. Maybe consult a dictionary?