To the ISPs

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah, they basically read you the new contract and tell you that you get to agree to the new terms or your contract will run until it expires. I hear what you're saying.

I cannot believe some of the crap you contractors spew on here, and then turn around and say that you're an independent business.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/labor-department-prepping-to-crack-down-on-uber-fedex-airbnb/
The U.S. Department of Labor joined opponents of the “sharing economy” Wednesday in condemning the new use of contracting as a way to avoid paying employee benefits.

“Misclassification of employees as independent contractors is found in an increasing number of workplaces,” the agency claimed in a report. “When employers improperly classify employees as independent contractors, the employees may not receive important workplace protections.”

Advances in digital technologies have allowed companies like Lyft, Uber, FedEx and Airbnb to use contracting in unique ways. Known as the sharing economy, companies make digital platforms in which individuals can create their own business ventures. Opponents, however, argue these individuals should be classified as employees of the company instead of contractors.

“In addition, many states have acknowledged this problematic trend and have responded with legislation and misclassification task forces,” the agency continued. “Understanding that combating misclassification requires a multi – pronged approach.”

The Labor Department argued those companies are abusing contracting to avoid paying their employees benefits like a minimum wage, overtime compensation, unemployment insurance, and workers’ compensation.

“The Teamsters Union has been leading the fight against misclassification on both the state and federal levels for more than a decade,” Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa said in a statement. “The administrator’s interpretation only reinforces what we have said for years – misclassification must be eliminated.”

Read more: http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/l...rack-down-on-uber-fedex-airbnb/#ixzz3gBBIOxxS
Follow us: @TheLibRepublic on Twitter

Interesting that FedEx is mentioned prominently. Hoffa making his statement is all the Teamsters will ever do about it. He's a loser.

bbsam

Staff member
I cannot believe some of the crap you contractors spew on here, and then turn around and say that you're an independent business.
Then you don't understand contracting.

The more I see of it, the more I see the FedEx philosophy running through it.

Remember how I've stated many times that Fedex doesn't see driver as a career position? That they want drivers for six to ten years and have no desire to ha e them retire with 30 years of service? Nor do they see a driver position as being a single family household middle income position.

They see the Ground contractor and ISP in much the same way. They don't necessarily want a contractor owning only Ground service areas. They'd rather have local entrepreneurs buying in with Ground eing only a portion of their income. Now ISP'S can and do make Fedex their only contract but it isn't what FDX has in mind for the future.

bbsam

Staff member
What they have in mind is probably something you guys ain't gonna' like. Just wait, it's coming.
It's not that we won't like it so much as it won't live up to expectations. That is to say, 50% growth might yield 15% increase in profit. Probably closer to 10%.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Then you don't understand contracting.

The more I see of it, the more I see the FedEx philosophy running through it.

Remember how I've stated many times that Fedex doesn't see driver as a career position? That they want drivers for six to ten years and have no desire to ha e them retire with 30 years of service? Nor do they see a driver position as being a single family household middle income position.

They see the Ground contractor and ISP in much the same way. They don't necessarily want a contractor owning only Ground service areas. They'd rather have local entrepreneurs buying in with Ground eing only a portion of their income. Now ISP'S can and do make Fedex their only contract but it isn't what FDX has in mind for the future.

As I have said many times before, I am also a realtor, a true independent contractor.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

None of the realtors I've ever known worked full-time jobs on the side.

I know a couple of local realtor-----one of them is a merchandiser (greeting cards) while the other recently retired from Express. She was FT, had her hours cut to PT, started selling real estate on the side and soon realized that it was impossible to do both.

ex2fedex

What is the difference in Fedex and owning Taco Bell, KFC, or McDonald's? Absolutely nothing same concept we own territory's and have to abide by a standard contract and follow rules. Same with employees we know we can't pay the same as Express and UPS. Just like those franchise I find studs and promote them to mangers and route coordinators and the other I'm just a reference for the next adventure.
When you get a decent offer for your area you should sell. If you think this is something you can do for the next 20 or so years and things will stay good for you under whatever new business models Fred's lawyers come up with until you retire you might be wrong. Half will sell, and half will walk away with their trucks or debt. You might get a Senior Manager that doesn't like you and then an OTC letter for something minor and then you are gone at the end of your 1 or 2 year contract after providing good service 52 weeks out of the year. And don't think they won't run temps for whoever they give your contract to for months until they can get enough drivers.

15.4 Extension of Expiration or Termination Date.
The Parties acknowledge that this Agreement has no provision for renewal or automatic renewal and further acknowledge that there is no express or implied obligation upon either Party to enter into a subsequent agreement for the Services upon the expiration of this Agreement. However, if the Parties agree in writing, either the Expiration Date or the Termination Date of the Agreement may be extended in weekly increments one or more times not to exceed 52 weeks in total ("Extension Period") beyond the original Expiration Date or Termination Date. No oral agreement to extend this Agreement will be effective. The level of Charges at the Termination Date or Expiration Date will continue in effect through any Extension Period.

Bounty

When you get a decent offer for your area you should sell. If you think this is something you can do for the next 20 or so years and things will stay good for you under whatever new business models Fred's lawyers come up with until you retire you might be wrong. Half will sell, and half will walk away with their trucks or debt. You might get a Senior Manager that doesn't like you and then an OTC letter for something minor and then you are gone at the end of your 1 or 2 year contract after providing good service 52 weeks out of the year. And don't think they won't run temps for whoever they give your contract to for months until they can get enough drivers.

The Parties acknowledge that this Agreement has no provision for renewal or automatic renewal and further acknowledge that there is no express or implied obligation upon either Party to enter into a subsequent agreement for the Services upon the expiration of this Agreement. However, if the Parties agree in writing, either the Expiration Date or the Termination Date of the Agreement may be extended in weekly increments one or more times not to exceed 52 weeks in total ("Extension Period") beyond the original Expiration Date or Termination Date. No oral agreement to extend this Agreement will be effective. The level of Charges at the Termination Date or Expiration Date will continue in effect through any Extension Period.
Well said

bbsam

Staff member

You seem to be saying that this Agreement heavily favors FDX. Thank you Captain Obvious.

Bounty

Really? Then they haven't read or had their attorney read the Agreement.
You may be able to quibble over a few pennies but the major parts of the contract aren't changing.
Why waste your $ on an attorney, sign it or your out. That's how the negotiations will go. Get your patches and truck lettering now for your 7/16 signing.