trump 2016

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Progressives cheered Obama when he used his unilateral power of executive orders to fast track a left-wing agenda, circumventing our system of checks and balances, and blamed the other side for “holding back progress” and blocking government from “doing more.”

But now that same power rests in the hands of a man who may use it to persecute them. It's scary. The liberties we trade for security and the powers we grant government are never returned. We, as a people, must be vigilant in ensuring that we are not tricked into trading away our individual liberties for the promise of a benevolent government, because one day that government may turn tyrannical and dictatorial.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Progressives cheered Obama when he used his unilateral power of executive orders to fast track a left-wing agenda, circumventing our system of checks and balances, and blamed the other side for “holding back progress” and blocking government from “doing more.”

But now that same power rests in the hands of a man who may use it to persecute them. It's scary. The liberties we trade for security and the powers we grant government are never returned. We, as a people, must be vigilant in ensuring that we are not tricked into trading away our individual liberties for the promise of a benevolent government, because one day that government may turn tyrannical and dictatorial.
This. Exactly this.
There's one difference though. Obama ran on a theory of nonpartisanship. He wanted to bring the parties together to pass legislation. So all the right had to do was stand in the way, which is exactly what they did. When Obama did things unilaterally, he was portrayed as a failure, and treasonous by the right.

Now trump runs on a dictator type strategy. He has ideas and he will pass them no matter what democrats think. It's a much more effective strategy. If obama had ditched the whole bi-partisan concept he could have done the same. Trump's strategy goes against everything that makes america great, but it's much easier to get things passed that way.

newfie

Democrats were very shortsighted or they were arrogant enough to think they could not lose.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Democrats were very shortsighted or they were arrogant enough to think they could not lose.
Hey dip:censored2:, did you hear, Trump won.
Now it's time to stop your love affair with hating Hillary.
At this point, you're actually going to have to defend Trump for what he is and stop displaying your hard on for Hillary..... You are a political pervert, you have issues, seek help.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
At this point, you're actually going to have to defend Trump for what he is and stop displaying your hard on for Hillary..... You are a political pervert, you have issues, seek help.

Time for a chill pill.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This. Exactly this.
There's one difference though. Obama ran on a theory of nonpartisanship. He wanted to bring the parties together to pass legislation. So all the right had to do was stand in the way, which is exactly what they did. When Obama did things unilaterally, he was portrayed as a failure, and treasonous by the right.

Now trump runs on a dictator type strategy. He has ideas and he will pass them no matter what democrats think. It's a much more effective strategy. If obama had ditched the whole bi-partisan concept he could have done the same. Trump's strategy goes against everything that makes america great, but it's much easier to get things passed that way.
Actually, I perceive their intent exactly the same.
Both want to be non-partisan but "only if they do as I dictate."
Definitely the case with Obama and I imagine the same for Trump.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Actually, I perceive their intent exactly the same.
Both want to be non-partisan but "only if they do as I dictate."
Definitely the case with Obama and I imagine the same for Trump.
Obama started his term with bi-partisanship in mind, he failed, with the help of the anti-everything republicans. Trump has started his term with "non-partisanship" in mind, just like you said . And by "non-partisanship", I mean Trump's way or no way at all, the way he has lived his entire life.... a spoiled little brat.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Time for DIDO to eat a Snickers ... nothing was mentioned about Hillary.

Sportello

Can you please elucidate exactly what "left-wing agenda" was put in place? From my vantage point I saw nothing resembling "left-wing agenda" being unilaterally implemented.

I did see a President too devoted to The Constitution to force a crisis by a rightful appointment to the SCOTUS.

I have more faith in Americans to believe that will happen under any administration.

We all have selective memory!
I assume you don't remember Obama saying this in 2010 while the Democrats controlled the Pres, House and Senate.
Yes, I do remember. I remember him giving them a voice at the table, in spite of the vitriol spewed at him, presumably because he was an 'other'.

Selective memory, indeed.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Can you please elucidate exactly what "left-wing agenda" was put in place? From my vantage point I saw nothing resembling "left-wing agenda" being unilaterally implemented.
Go look at my post ... These are quotes from the article posted by @wkmac
But the obvious is Obamacare.

I did see a President too devoted to The Constitution to force a crisis by a rightful appointment to the SCOTUS.
It was "a longer period than the normal" of the summer before a presidential election being the cutoff.
This "waiting period" has been in place for a half-a-century.

As to Obama's respect for the Constitution, he appeared to use his knowledge of Constitutional law to circumvent the spirit of the Constitution.
I'm sure you will not object to Trump "penning" away any unConstitutional acts enacted by previous presidents.

I have more faith in Americans to believe that will happen under any administration.
I use to.

Yes, I do remember. I remember him giving them a voice at the table, in spite of the vitriol spewed at him, presumably because he was an 'other'.

Selective memory, indeed.
Yes, selective memory indeed!

I was actually pulling for Obama the first year or so and all I saw was inviting the Repubs to sit down and talk and then rejecting everything they put forth. That's worse than just ignoring them to begin with.
Obama got exactly what he deserved ... he had no idea how to rule a country with two parties.
He thought all he had to do was say "this is what I want" and then everyone should fall in line because he was so damn intelligent.
He has never understood there is a big difference between intelligence and being smart.
Obama never appeared to be that smart to me.

Last edited:

rickyb

david cay johnston is one of the top journalist covering trump.

David Cay Johnston ‏@DavidCayJ 6h6 hours ago

Felon w/ @realDonaldTrump New Yr's Eve at Mar-A-Lago is art thief & mob associate Joe "No Socks" Cinque.

C1M-0O9WEAAhbCS.jpg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Obama actions lately are a display of the petty political ploys that are standard operating procedures from the Chicago wards where his career began .
This is not the actions of a Harvard educated man who claims to be highly intelligent.

MAKAVELI

Obama actions lately are a display of the petty political ploys that are standard operating procedures from the Chicago wards where his career began .
This is not the actions of a Harvard educated man who claims to be highly intelligent.
It's OK Snowflake, no need to cry.:peaceful::people_crybaby:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I personally applaud his efforts to ensure Obamacare is left intact.

I am embarrassed by his interactions with Israel.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Do you really have nothing better to do with your spare time?
It's pouring rain outside now , so I guess not .
At least yesterday it was calm enough that I go pull up some of my lobster traps . Sadly one of the bugs in the keeper died .
So I'll have two healthy and fat bugs to collect next time .

:happy_new_year: