UPS LATEST PROPOSAL

Undertow

Yes, I saw that, not sure what to think about it’s legitimacy, but I do believe it would pass.
Maybe they would want us off the clock after 8 if we were closer to $50 an hour, but I thought the same thing years ago when we were in the $30 range. Somehow I think after all this there's still going to be a bunch of overtime grievances. Some things just never really change.

21Savage

Sure he is. Just repeat the same thing at ever interview. Easy
That seems like the plan. Definitely above my pay grade. But I'd give a little more insight at how bad the working conditions actually are. Maybe there's a reason he's not doing that but he seems better on social media than he is at these live interviews.

Undertow

I don't think SOB is doing a very good job on all these national media tv interviews he's doing.
I wondered much the same thing back in '97 when Ron Carey was making the rounds but the public listened to him and us. We wanted somebody who wasn't going to just take instructions from the company the way Hoffa had been for nearly 20 years and now we've got it.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little more of Zuck though. Dude just comes off as no nonsense.

ManInBrown

Something I was thinking about that doesn’t make any sense. If O’Brien’s goal is to get the best contract for PTers at all costs even a strike, in part to entice Amazon workers to unionize. Look what I got the PTers at UPS why wouldn’t the company just give him what he wants. If Amazon is forced to pay their workers a living wage that levels the playing field massively. The gains UPS would make by Amazon paying a living wage far outweigh the couple bucks an hour for PTers. The reason Amazon and FedEx even get a piece of the pie is because they pay slave wages. Keeps their cost down. Why wouldn’t UPS say here now go unionize Amazon. It doesn’t make any sense like a lot with these negotiations.

MAKAVELI

Something I was thinking about that doesn’t make any sense. If O’Brien’s goal is to get the best contract for PTers at all costs even a strike, in part to entice Amazon workers to unionize. Look what I got the PTers at UPS why wouldn’t the company just give him what he wants. If Amazon is forced to pay their workers a living wage that levels the playing field massively. The gains UPS would make by Amazon paying a living wage far outweigh the couple bucks an hour for PTers. The reason Amazon and FedEx even get a piece of the pie is because they pay slave wages. Keeps their cost down. Why wouldn’t UPS say here now go unionize Amazon. It doesn’t make any sense like a lot with these negotiations.
While Amazon and FedEx do pay peanuts in comparison to UPS drivers, they probably pay more for inside jobs. FedEx also pays the same rate for PT and FT in the same classification. You guys are behind in that one area.

RTS313

It is about money, ups can't afford to lose billions a day and I don't think the union has a big enough strike fund to last that long
The CEO has a fiduciary duty to shareholders Vanguard and Blackrock are biggest are largest shareholders they own millions of shares ! if the start to lose money and not break even they will put pressure

anonymous23456

The CEO has a fiduciary duty to shareholders Vanguard and Blackrock are biggest are largest shareholders they own millions of shares ! if the start to lose money and not break even they will put pressure
How do you know if Blackrock wants the stock price to drop low so they can scoop up some huge amount while wanting to shrink the company size and Union?

HarryWarden

. If we all go on strike and accept all that comes with that, and the PT workforce yet again fails to show up and even vote on an agreement that cost even more sacrifice, then what?
Im not sure im understanding your hypothetical here . At that point, what would lower voter turnout affect? It’s not like a certain percentage of people are required to vote for it to go through

HarryWarden

ups only cares about profits for themselves, that’s it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I’ve been checking a lot of these, I’m curious, has any Republican politician publicly supported the union here yet? Seems to be all democrats
Yeah it sure is strange. Can't seem to find anything supportive from GOP electeds at all. All the support for us from Washington seems to be coming from the hated "commies" and "liberal queers".

Yes it seems Republicans have chosen to stay out of it, and Democrats have signaled they're willing to intervene to stop a strike.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
I think Mr. Obrien's strategy here is brilliant. UPS was going to frame the narrative as UPS drivers and their 100k wages. Making this about the majority of the workforce being part-time and their poverty wages, public perception flips. If we win a good contract for everyone, workers at amazon and elsewhere will take note. I am grateful the minority of selfish drivers aren't near the negotiation table. This is about raising everyone up and growing teamster membership. Part-time ain't a crime. This media tour touting part-time garbage wages is going to pay off IMO.
It’s an exciting time to be alive and working here, I’ll say that. Lol