UPS LATEST PROPOSAL

Kirk79

They’re closing, or moving certain sorts, from smaller hubs to larger hubs. There are still small centers in each hub area. Probably 1/2 to 3/4 of UPS buildings are centers that just run 2 shifts. A morning preload and an evening reload, or local, sort.
We are small and have many routes well over 100 miles every day. How could they close a building like ours? Routes would all have 200 miles per day

Trucker Clock

We are small and have many routes well over 100 miles every day. How could they close a building like ours? Routes would all have 200 miles per day

I didn't say they are closing buildings. They are shutting some day sorts down, or moving them to larger hubs. I said the centers are not getting shut down, and they are the bulk of UPS operations, from a physical building standpoint.

I did say that most of these centers only have 2 sorts, and that the only way to add FT jobs would be to do a split shift. Work 4 hours in the morning, and then come in and work 4 hours in the evening.

PT Car Washer

I didn't say they are closing buildings. They are shutting some day sorts down, or moving them to larger hubs. I said the centers are not getting shut down, and they are the bulk of UPS operations, from a physical building standpoint.

I did say that most of these centers only have 2 sorts, and that the only way to add FT jobs would be to do a split shift. Work 4 hours in the morning, and then come in and work 4 hours in the evening.
I believe that would be a contract violation.

Trucker Clock

I believe that would be a contract violation.

At the moment, yes. But the new contract has not been agreed to yet.

My point is that some hubs can create more FT jobs by combining back to back sorts. Or abiding by the current 1.5 hour gap between shifts.

But, the majority of UPS operations are centers with only 2 sorts. So, to create more FT jobs in these centers, the contract would have to allow 8 hours between 2 shifts to create a FT job.

How many people would actually do this, or would the Union even want to allow it?

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
Yes! I agree. Time to go back to the basic. What happened to IE (Industrial Engineering) group? Did they become yes-man for upper management and leave UPS in a chaotic state?
Ie was always a yes man operation. In the early 90's. Ups gave ie the keys to run the company. Only to take them back due to them running it into the ground.