UPS LATEST PROPOSAL

The Range

In too deep
I have heard those reports. We have had PT taking FT 22.3 jobs that took a $4/hr cut in pay because they lost the MRA and OT after 5 hours. Imagine taking a weekly cut in pay to go FT. Not me.
This is the situation here. 25 an hour starting via MRA and new full-timers eat the pay cut to 21.50 or less. You can sugarcoat it and say "In 4 years.. " but I can't accept it as appropriate.

HarryWarden

But the argument is you want to make the same. I’m arguing why you shouldn’t. Check your argument.
I want to make the same HOURLY RATE for doing the SAME WORK.

I don’t want to make the same as them, they will be making twice as much as me, because they’re working twice as many hours as me

I’m saying if im standing side by side a person, I’m a ten year loader and he’s a full time loader, why should he be making $15 more an hour than me? For doing the same work

Please explain to me why you think that’s fair?

Do you think a driver who signs a 9.5 list should make less hourly rate the first 8 hours of his shift as the driver next to him who didn’t sign a 9.5 list?

I can only speak from my experiences but my hours didn't simply double when moving from part to full time. It ended up being much closer to triple the hours thus a far bigger commitment in time and a young driver, especially if stuck in the 22.4 classification, really can't bank on knowing when approximately his/her workday is done where the part time loader most often does.

It's a whole different world. I've seen part time loaders who were more than adequate in that role falter quickly once exposed to having to be dialed in for more than 10 hours on the clock working for this company. The mental and physical demands are often more than double and not every employee can manage the added demands.
I agree. Does that mean FT Porters who clean the toilets and empty the trash cans need to make $80k/yr.

HarryWarden

I can only speak from my experiences but my hours didn't simply double when moving from part to full time. It ended up being much closer to triple the hours thus a far bigger commitment in time and a young driver, especially if stuck in the 22.4 classification, really can't bank on knowing when approximately his/her workday is done where the part time loader most often does.

It's a whole different world. I've seen part time loaders who were more than adequate in that role falter quickly once exposed to having to be dialed in for more than 10 hours on the clock working for this company. The mental and physical demands are often more than double and not every employee can manage the added demands.
Ok, so if your hours tripled, then your paycheck will also be triple mine… which is fair. And even more after overtime

But there’s no reason your hourly rate should be $15 higher than mine for doing the same exact job when I’ve been here 10 years

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Exactly. And I’m realizing by the replies of some of the members here, that a lot of the workers want to help with that.

People would rather bring others down so they’re not at the same level as them, rather then raise everybody up. It’s baffling, and it makes me frustrated and sad
How about you raise yourself up and get a full time job?

Thebrownblob

Exactly. And I’m realizing by the replies of some of the members here, that a lot of the workers want to help with that.

People would rather bring others down so they’re not at the same level as them, rather then raise everybody up. It’s baffling, and it makes me frustrated and sad
That’s a pretty big bridge to cross to say people want to bring your wages down. Last contract starting pay went up about four dollars over the life of that contract and now they’re trying to raise the starting pay five or six dollars an hour. As well as give a senior employee, such as yourself a raise based on your years of service.

some1else

Banned
I’ve been here for over 10 years, where on earth did you get the idea I just started?

Me loading for 10 years has me at pay of $18 an hour. A full time loader/unloader with the same company senority doing the exact same work will at $35 an hour. I am saying max pay for part time and full time work should be the same
I agree for a different reason. Why would we want the company to get a 17$ discount to give work to part time? If they paid the same they would have no incentive to give it to part time unless there really is not 8hrs of work for that shift. As it should be.

Non liberal

Oh boy, this post explains a lot. Look sorry but you live in a merit based world. At least I think it’s still merit based, democrat politicians are blurring that line lately. But you do not “deserve” anything unless you put in the work. And as a part timer you do not work as hard as a full timer, therefore you should not have the right to hold up my paycheck to argue that you “deserve” the same amount of money. You don’t sacrifice anything! Were are the sacrifices that you make? I’m supposed to go on strike and sacrifice my paycheck so u can make the same as me? It’s not the same as you sacrificing your paycheck. Especially since you have the time to go work somewhere else part time if u want. Lol, what a joke.

That’s a pretty big bridge to cross to say people want to bring your wages down. Last contract starting pay went up about four dollars over the life of that contract and now they’re trying to raise the starting pay five or six dollars an hour. As well as give a senior employee, such as yourself a raise based on your years of service.
Which brought PT wages up to fast food workers level. And paying Union dues.

HarryWarden

How about you raise yourself up and get a full time job?
Why are you so concerned about how many hours I work? I am talking about equal pay for equal work.

If I have been here 10 years loading, you really think I shouldn’t deserve the same pay for a full time loader? We are doing the same job. He works more hours, so he will get a bigger paycheck.

You really believe me working 4 extra hours a day deserves a $15 more an hour for doing the same job?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Why are you so concerned about how many hours I work? I am talking about equal pay for equal work.

If I have been here 10 years loading, you really think I shouldn’t deserve the same pay for a full time loader? We are doing the same job. He works more hours, so he will get a bigger paycheck.

You really believe me working 4 extra hours a day deserves a $15 more an hour for doing the same job?
Yes

Thebrownblob

Which brought PT wages up to fast food workers level. And paying Union dues.
See you’re full of crap because in 2016, Bernie Sanders was fighting for $15 and the union got $15, now it requires more and the unions is trying to getting more, to the tune of five or six dollars. I love it that a guy who craps on the current contract, is so offended about the people negotiating a contract.

HarryWarden

Oh boy, this post explains a lot. Look sorry but you live in a merit based world. At least I think it’s still merit based, democrat politicians are blurring that line lately. But you do not “deserve” anything unless you put in the work. And as a part timer you do not work as hard as a full timer, therefore you should not have the right to hold up my paycheck to argue that you “deserve” the same amount of money. You don’t sacrifice anything! Were are the sacrifices that you make? I’m supposed to go on strike and sacrifice my paycheck so u can make the same as me? It’s not the same as you sacrificing your paycheck. Especially since you have the time to go work somewhere else part time if u want. Lol, what a joke.
If you’re doing the same work, you do deserve the same hourly pay. If you work more hours, you will get paid more

Do you believe that drivers who sign a 9.5 list should have a lower hourly pay for the first 8 hours driving compared to the driver who didn’t sign a 9.5?