UPS LATEST PROPOSAL

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I hate to interrupt this spat with something off topic; admittedly, I have been away for awhile. They still have FT porters somewhere? They got rid of ours in the early 90s. Carry on with your regular programming.
Yes we have a ton of them. Big hub.

I hate to interrupt this spat with something off topic; admittedly, I have been away for awhile. They still have FT porters somewhere? They got rid of ours in the early 90s. Carry on with your regular programming.
22.2 jobs are guarantied to not be cut. Imagine paying someone $80/yr to clean the toilets.

You don’t think trying to get the starting rate to 20 or $21 an hour this contract is not starting somewhere?
UPS is already paying more and the turn over is crazy. That can't be good for the operation. I know it's not because of the late start times and load quality and misloads. Good for me running misloads and LIB's at top driver rate.

dogs.bite.me

Exactly. And I’m realizing by the replies of some of the members here, that a lot of the workers want to help with that.

People would rather bring others down so they’re not at the same level as them, rather then raise everybody up. It’s baffling, and it makes me frustrated and sad
It’s not that. Your simplifying the argument.

A part time job is not meant to be something to support you and your family’s life. It’s to supplement it.

Why is there even a classification for full time loader is beyond me.

We get the point that a full timer makes more even if they were paid at the same rate as a part timer because of guaranteed hours.

And believe me, I think most here are with you that loaders are very under paid.

But the reason FT have better pay/benefits even though they are outnumbered by the PT is because part timers don’t get involved as much with the Union activities.

Our PT union meeting attendance is abysmal.

There is no doubt PT has gotten the shaft. But that’s because the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and it’s only been within the last year or so when I’ve started to see an uptick in PT union activity.

I try to talk to my loaders about union stuff and they just don’t want to hear it. Lately that’s been changing, but if you want more, be active in your union meetings and get your PT coworkers there too. Submit proposals at the proposal meetings and get your buddies to as well.

I hope you guys get a big bump in pay and I’m willing to walk with you if this arrogant company doesn’t want to oblige.

Manifesto

I didn't really read through all this but I haven't seen it mentioned. You keep saying equal pay for equal work. It's not equal because the full timer is putting 2 to 3 more times the strain on their body. That adds up over time. And 2 or 3 more times the chance to be injured. Am I wrong?

Yeet

Is this the same someone who gave 25 years of 50+ hour weeks, 2 hips and a back to this company? Deleted* hateful speech*
Yup. All of our FT porters are 30+ year drivers just waiting to retire and I respect the hell out of them. It’s an extremely high seniority job here.

A part time job is not meant to be something to support you and your family’s life. It’s to supplement it.

We get the point that a full timer makes more even if they were paid at the same rate as a part timer because of guaranteed hours.

And believe me, I think most here are with you that loaders are very under paid.

But the reason FT have better pay/benefits even though they are outnumbered by the PT is because part timers don’t get involved as much with the Union activities.

There is no doubt PT has gotten the shaft. But that’s because the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and it’s only been within the last year or so when I’ve started to see an uptick in PT union activity.

I try to talk to my loaders about union stuff and they just don’t want to hear it. Lately that’s been changing, but if you want more, be active in your union meetings and get your PT coworkers there too. Submit proposals at the proposal meetings and get your buddies to as well.

I hope you guys get a big bump in pay and I’m willing to walk with you if this arrogant company doesn’t want to oblige.
I agree with some of what you are saying. But a Union member paying Union dues should expect the Union to represent everyone no matter how they vote. At some of our Union meetings it will almost be split between FT and PT. Still the turn out is terrible.

Undertow

They have had them here for at least the length of my employment with the company which dates back into the 1980's. The stronger the local, the better shot the buildings have FT porters but the number of positions aren't all that fixed in the supplement so a short-timer's "smooth landing" in the 9th inning of his worklife can occasionally get pulled out from under him. Some stay at it for many years and others sometimes not even 12 months. It's obviously not the most stimulating work to be sure.

HarryWarden

I think it’s really strange your argument of part time work not meant to support a families life. I never said that. I said equal pay for equal work

I’m not saying part time workers deserve to make $5,000 a week. I’m saying a Long time part time loader deserves the same hourly rate as a full time loader.

If I wanted to support a family, I would work more hours. But an hourly rate should not be artificially lowered just because they are working less hours. That makes no sense when you are doing the same work

Yeet

I think it’s really strange your argument of part time work not meant to support a families life. I never said that. I said equal pay for equal work

I’m not saying part time workers deserve to make $5,000 a week. I’m saying a Long time part time loader deserves the same hourly rate as a full time loader.

If I wanted to support a family, I would work more hours. But an hourly rate should not be artificially lowered just because they are working less hours. That makes no sense when you are doing the same work
His entire post just went in one and out the other on you, didn’t it?

Yup. All of our FT porters are 30+ year drivers just waiting to retire and I respect the hell out of them. It’s an extremely high seniority job here.
I work with them and they are a bunch of entitled feeling members who think it is just a retirement job because of the 30 years they put in. I had to carry one when he was a delivery driver and couldn't finish his route and now we have to do his job as a car washer.

Non liberal

The Union is. I will receive the same pay raise as all of the other FT members. Maybe more because I am PT. When we had the weekly bonus I and some other PT were the highest paid hourlies in the building.
So then what exactly is your argument? If we were going by your way of thinking the FT should get more of a raise then you right?