UPS LATEST PROPOSAL

Undertow

There is no classification for full-time loader. It’s a combo job 22.3.
Some of the combo jobs here require the employee to work two split shifts rather than a more convenient 8 straight hours the clock. That can often be an added hassle than working just around 4 hours and then out the door until the next day.

HarryWarden

Not the apple's to apple's comparison you seem to be repeatedly trying to make it, but since absolutely every driver in my building eligible to be on the list is on it then it's not an applicable scenario to begin with.

As a side note, one of the main reasons every driver eligible to sign that list did is because the company often wouldn't honor the list anyway thus the guys on the list stayed out as late as the few that once weren't on it. This resulted in the guys on the list achieving penalty pay that pushed their gross wages higher than the guys not on the list despite working pretty much the same amount of overtime.

I think that example mirrors the current realities far more than these hypotheticals you seem to keep offering.
It’s exactly the same point. People on here are arguing if you work longer hours you deserve a higher hourly rate, even if you’re doing the same work

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
The other jobs are not skilled jobs, it’s other part time jobs, like unloading
The other guy is 22.3 you baby your question has been answered. He isn’t a full time loader he’s in a completely different classification now shut the hell up.

HarryWarden

The other guy is 22.3 you baby your question has been answered. He isn’t a full time loader he’s in a completely different classification now shut the hell up.
Yea that makes my point even more solid. He’s loading the same exact amount as me, the second half of his job is even easier, and he gets $15 more an hour

Please keep posting, because you’re only making my point stronger and yours weaker! Thank you!

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Yea that makes my point even more solid. He’s loading the same exact amount as me, the second half of his job is even easier, and he gets $15 more an hour

Please keep posting, because you’re only making my point stronger and yours weaker! Thank you!
You don’t get to define what’s an “easier” job. Even a clerk requires more training than a loader. You are pond scum with no skills. You want more money, up your skills. Period.

It’s exactly the same point. People on here are arguing if you work longer hours you deserve a higher hourly rate, even if you’re doing the same work
If they paid PT close to FT rates, there wouldn't be many PT jobs. There would be no incentive, which was the point of higher PT wages way back when. Now if they do that, which I'm all for, you have to unded6that it will come at the cost of probably 50,000+ jobs.

dogs.bite.me

The other jobs are not skilled jobs, it’s other part time jobs, like unloading
But it’s a different job. He’s being asked to do more than you.

Tcds if they drive 8 hours after loading get their preload converted to TCD rate. Should their rate be hampered because of same work same pay?

Or a RPCD is called in to help the sort, should his pay be docked because it’s the same work.

The principle is nice, but it’s not easily applied everywhere.

Non liberal

The other half of the work is easier work. Half loading half easy work.

And the only other argument people have is they should get paid more an hour because it’s harder on the body working longer hours

So
1. Why not advocate higher hourly pay for part timers during peak season when I’m working 8 hours
And
2. Should drivers who sign an 8.5 list get lower hourly pay compared to drivers who dont

All I’m saying is equal hourly pay for equal work. If I’ve been here 10 years loading, I should have the same hourly rate as the full timer loading, not $15 an hour less. And if I want more money, I can work more hours. The way it’s supposed to be
But if ups paid PT workers $41 hr, I would not have went FT

If they paid PT close to FT rates, there wouldn't be many PT jobs. There would be no incentive, which was the point of higher PT wages way back when. Now if they do that, which I'm all for, you have to unded6that it will come at the cost of probably 50,000+ jobs.
Even if your numbers are correct that would mean 50,000 more McDonald workers. How would they be worse off?

HarryWarden

Funny, because other people are saying the opposite, that there would be no full time jobs because there would be no incentive

Also, starting pay for a loader in 1980 was $8.50 an hour. Starting pay for a loader in 2012 was $8.50

After inflation, 80’s starting pay was about $25 an hour. Funny how they made it work back then