UPS LATEST PROPOSAL

9.5mania

I don’t mind being at ups it’s easy part time gig.
This is indeed the problem, you agree it’s a part time job but you want to raise a family on it. I agree y’all need more than $15.50, I’d say starting pay around $18.50-$19.50ish is very reasonable for PT job not including benefits.

If it is true we strike because SOB won’t budge on $25 starting pay, I’m gonna walk with y’all but I ain’t voting for his slate again.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
This is indeed the problem, you agree it’s a part time job but you want to raise a family on it. I agree y’all need more than $15.50, I’d say starting pay around $18.50-$19.50ish is very reasonable for PT job not including benefits.

If it is true we strike because SOB won’t budge on $25 starting pay, I’m gonna walk with y’all but I ain’t voting for his slate again.

A lot of part timers have second jobs though. Maybe even three. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to ask for a higher wage for what we do.

PT Car Washer

UPS is already paying more. Why would they walk out over $25/hr?

Memester

Agree, status quo like I’ve been saying all along. The $4 up front and $10 over the life crowd were delusional.
I will vote no on anything much less.

Adjusting for inflation, top rate should be 45.47 right now. Planning for 3-5% inflation annually amounts to about 1.50-2.00/year over the contract.

Meeting inflation is the bare minimum expectation.

The Range

In too deep
I understand some of you former PTers were boned in the past contracts and conditioned to believe the slice of the pie can't get larger, only shifted to FTers but that isn't the case in 2023. Often the same folk who started here making double the minimum wage. UPS is not paying 25/h MRA and bonus out of the goodness of their hearts. All of us can and should win this contract. Starting pay must increase and tenured part-timers must be taken care of. The "livable" wage rhetoric is akin to Russian talking points. "PT UPS was not meant to be a career" - 2/3 the workforce are part-timers, the majority of them stuck @ or near minimum wage. Admit it.. you want it all for yourselves. You were mistreated by the union as PTers now it's all about ME. I can respect that type of honesty.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
It’s nine months
Nice! Hopefully we
I understand some of you former PTers were boned in the past contracts and conditioned to believe the slice of the pie can't get larger, only shifted to FTers but that isn't the case in 2023. UPS is not paying 25/h MRA and bonus out of the goodness of their hearts. All of us can and should win this contract. Starting pay must increase and tenured part-timers must be taken care of. The "livable" wage rhetoric is akin to Russian talking points.
And what if health insurance gets stripped down and is no longer what it is now? Ya I agree wages should be raised but not to the point of shaving the health care and to think they wont even suggest that is ignorant. If moneys tight as a part timer get another job or find a full time job. A lot of pt stay for the bennies and the schedule it offers.

9.5mania

Admit it.. you want it all for yourselves. You were mistreated by the union as PTers now it's all about ME. I can respect that type of honesty.
You are mistaken about 95% of the FT people here. We all know y’all need your starting pay increased and I judge must would agree to give catch up pay based on years of service. I just don’t think it should be $25 starting off. You can say I’m wrong and disagree but calling FT’ers selfish is misplaced.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
When I started federal min wage was $2.30/hr.
If I recall correctly UPS P/T were at $7.00/hr.
Or roughly UPS was paying around 3 times the Federal rate.
So what would it be today ?

9.5mania

When I started in 2002, minimum wage was $5.15 I think and UPS started me off at $8.50 skilled. I thought that was pretty good for a college student who needed the insurance to go to school. Minimum wage in Louisiana is $7.25 I think. $17-20 isn’t too shabby starting off here. Don’t blame me if democrats ruined your economy and it’s too expensive to live where you are.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
You are mistaken about 95% of the FT people here. We all know y’all need your starting pay increased and I judge must would agree to give catch up pay based on years of service. I just don’t think it should be $25 starting off. You can say I’m wrong and disagree but calling FT’ers selfish is misplaced.
There is definitely a lot of FT who look down on PT. They must’ve forgot they were once part timers.

The Range

In too deep
Look at some of the justification and anger here for PT minimum wage. This mentality has been ingrained because of the garbage contracts HOFFA was responsible for - the only way many FT feel they can get paid is to keep PT @ minimum wage and justify it because "the benefits are great" and "it shouldn't be a livable wage". All of us risked our necks through the pandemic as "essential workers". UPS can pay all of us this time around. The last contracts were a travesty. I started @ 8.50 over a decade ago and I've made zero gains. The minimum wage has chased us the entire time. I cannot stomach UPS paying +10/hour over what the union negotiates via MRA because of "supply and demand". We're teamsters, do better.

I think the only group more disgruntled than tenured PTers are the people going into full-time, getting prog-locked, and eating a fat pay cut. A 17-year employee goes 22.3 and is making $5 less than a seasonal/new hire for the next 4 years. We're union-busting ourselves here. This contract should include mandatory therapy for the trauma endured during the HOFFA reign.

Last edited:

Its_a_me

One decade ago. July 2013 UPS starting wage $8.50. Federal minimum wage $7.25 (the same it had been since 2009). Adjusted for inflation, 1968's federal minimum wage of $1.60 has the highest purchasing power. In recent years the purchasing power is about 35% less than it was of the late '60's and 25% than it was of the early 80's (when today's Trump/Biden inflation rates would have been considered an improvement).

Long-time PT'ers have long gotten the shaft by Hoffa's best contracts ever. To the point the Company had to raise the starting wages on their own without union prodding. That's how bad it got.

As recently as 2022 peak, long-time PT'ers were making less than people off-the-streets
who were getting MRA's and attendance bonuses (as not all areas of the country paid MRA's or attendance bonuses). And those off-the-street part-timers were quitting saying the company was not paying enough for what was expected of them. They weren't even bothering to call or tell sups--just stopped showing up.

If anyone here thinks someone off the streets should be making more than a 10 year PT'er, then the union is doomed.

The current teamsters bargain unit thinks UPS offer is so awful they unanimously rejected it rather than give it to the membership to shoot down. That's all I need to know about how bad this contract offer was.

anonymous23456

One decade ago. July 2013 UPS starting wage $8.50. Federal minimum wage $7.25 (the same it had been since 2009). Adjusted for inflation, 1968's federal minimum wage of $1.60 has the highest purchasing power. In recent years the purchasing power is about 35% less than it was of the late '60's and 25% than it was of the early 80's (when today's Trump/Biden inflation rates would have been considered an improvement).

Long-time PT'ers have long gotten the shaft by Hoffa's best contracts ever. To the point the Company had to raise the starting wages on their own without union prodding. That's how bad it got.

As recently as 2022 peak, long-time PT'ers were making less than people off-the-streets
who were getting MRA's and attendance bonuses (as not all areas of the country paid MRA's or attendance bonuses). And those off-the-street part-timers were quitting saying the company was not paying enough for what was expected of them. They weren't even bothering to call or tell sups--just stopped showing up.

If anyone here thinks someone off the streets should be making more than a 10 year PT'er, then the union is doomed.

The current teamsters bargain unit thinks UPS offer is so awful they unanimously rejected it rather than give it to the membership to shoot down. That's all I need to know about how bad this contract offer was.
There are many reasons. Yes, one of them is greed. But you also left out something. Back then UPS has 80% of market share. Today, it is 50%.