UPS LATEST PROPOSAL

Undertow

I would say the vast majority have a second job even if it is day care or caring for elderly parents.
It's changed over the decades. When I began, most of us new hires were guys in our first semester of college at a time where tuition was affordable with that part time work. Now it's a rarity to find any kid just months out of high school on any of the sorts.

For awhile, the best path for them to achieve a big bump up in pay was to become PT sup but not all that many want to continue on that path for all that long either.

Its_a_me

There are many reasons. Yes, one of them is greed. But you also left out something. Back then UPS has 80% of market share. Today, it is 50%.
And you left off the total market size back then was a fraction of what the total market size of today is (think internet purchase volume vs catalog orders if you don't understand).

Bigger pie = bigger piece.

Undertow

Possibly but I also think it’s because they see FTers getting abused with long hours. One PTer I used to speak to when I got back told me hell no I’m not going FT. And what get back at 8pm every night. Too long a day for me. Lack of work ethic.
I do think that's part of it. It's probably been trending in that direction over decades but I think the advent of the 22.4's helped put that mindset into overdrive. Many of the PT's in my building already had issues regarding attendance and once they began hearing how long of a day a 22.4 employee was subjected to with pretty much no way out of it, going FT is something most simply won't even consider.

HarryWarden

This is indeed the problem, you agree it’s a part time job but you want to raise a family on it. I agree y’all need more than $15.50, I’d say starting pay around $18.50-$19.50ish is very reasonable for PT job not including benefits.

If it is true we strike because SOB won’t budge on $25 starting pay, I’m gonna walk with y’all but I ain’t voting for his slate again.
Why do people keep bringing up raising a family on part time wages? How bad at math are you guys? It’s still not “easy” raising a family on a full time wage… you do realize even if a part time Wage is the same as full time, their paycheck will be half the size right? Because half the hours

HarryWarden

It’s crazy how so many of you are greedy and manipulated. You should really look at what the wages were in the 80s

Part time loader in 1980 was $8.50 an hour
Part time loader in 2010 was $8.50 an hour

$8.50 went a LOT farther in 1980 than it did in 2010

You guys are so concerned about part time workers making slightly more money, you’re too distracted to care about how much money corporate and the CEO and the shareholders are stealing from you, and that’s exactly what they want

Also, too many people in here are acting like if a part time loader gets the same hourly rate as a full time warehouse worker, that their paychecks will be the same… a full timer will be twice as much because they are entitled to twice the hours. If you want to raise a family and want more hours, go full time

It’s crazy how so many of you are greedy and manipulated. You should really look at what the wages were in the 80s

Part time loader in 1980 was $8.50 an hour
Part time loader in 2010 was $8.50 an hour

$8.50 went a LOT farther in 1980 than it did in 2010
for reference, to keep pace with inflation it should be $31.37

the Fed is truly the worst thing that's happened to the US, after slavery

Undertow

And you left off the total market size back then was a fraction of what the total market size of today is (think internet purchase volume vs catalog orders if you don't understand).

I'd agree. Less market share than far back in the past when the buildings we are working in struggle to handle the increases in volume experienced over the years. Market share goes out the window after many years straight of being begged to double shift every night or work a 6th punch over 80% of the year.

When the company's profit margin nearly doubles over a span of 3 years despite ridiculously bad technological failures such as ORION, countless systems attempting to cut down misloads, or Lytx modules mumbling "Seatbelt" or "Following distance" when the truck is parked and turned off, it's long past time to give hourly workers raises that keep pace with inflation.

anonymous23456

Here is the breakdown.

U.S. Postal Service (USPS) shipped 6.7 billion parcels in 2022 down from 7 billion in 2021.
UPS shipped 5.2 billion parcels in 2022, down from 5.3 billion.
Amazon Logistics kept its parcel volume at the 2021 level of 4.8 billion.
FedEx shipped 4.1 billion, down from 4.3 billion.

Market Share

UPS: 37%
FedEx: 33%
USPS: 17%
Amazon: 12%
Others: 2%

Yet, USPS isn't making a profit! We don't want to be like USPS.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Here is the breakdown.

U.S. Postal Service (USPS) shipped 6.7 billion parcels in 2022 down from 7 billion in 2021.
FedEx shipped 4.1 billion, down from
Market Share

USPS can’t make a profit delivering 50cent letters to east butt :censored2:. Something UPS would never do.

anonymous23456

I think the best thing is for USPS buying out UPS.

Per internet:
It’s a well known fact that UPS maintains most of its workforce as “part-timers”. I agree with other posters that it’s hard to make it to ‘regular’(or full-time) and UPS runs their people ragged. I’ve met many former UPS workers describe the atmosphere as boot camp non-stop.

If FEDEX is truly non-union, then I can see how working there is never considered a permanent position. As part of my job I see a Fedex tractor trailer driver everyday, but I’ve never heard him once complain about the company he works for.

USPS may indeed provide more paid holidays and better starting pay, but the path to ‘regular ‘ gets longer and longer. I do believe they are attempting to mimick UPS model. Also the length of time to ‘max-out’ at the highest pay level gets longer as well.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
It's changed over the decades. When I began, most of us new hires were guys in our first semester of college at a time where tuition was affordable with that part time work. Now it's a rarity to find any kid just months out of high school on any of the sorts.

For awhile, the best path for them to achieve a big bump up in pay was to become PT sup but not all that many want to continue on that path for all that long either.

There was a time when Full Time Package Car Drivers went into Management. The ones who did wanted an out knowing full well that the work demands were in place that would eventually destroy their bodies over the next 25 years.

Now .. no Union driver in their right mind wants to go into management, the final nail in that coffin was their decision to eliminate further funding into the management’s pension trusts.

Also .. there was a time when part time supervisors had to go on road and quality in 30 days in order to go full time. In our area they quit doing that some time ago, I believe the real reason was to promote women. Before that decision we saw a lot of young women part time supervisors not qualify and were denied promotions.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

Per internet:
It’s a well known fact that UPS maintains most of its workforce as “part-timers”. I agree with other posters that it’s hard to make it to ‘regular’(or full-time) and UPS runs their people ragged. I’ve met many former UPS workers describe the atmosphere as boot camp non-stop.

If FEDEX is truly non-union, then I can see how working there is never considered a permanent position. As part of my job I see a Fedex tractor trailer driver everyday, but I’ve never heard him once complain about the company he works for.

USPS may indeed provide more paid holidays and better starting pay, but the path to ‘regular ‘ gets longer and longer. I do believe they are attempting to mimick UPS model. Also the length of time to ‘max-out’ at the highest pay level gets longer as well.

:fantasysmiley:

anonymous23456

There was a time when Full Time Package Car Drivers went into Management. The ones who did wanted an out knowing full well that the work demands were in place that would eventually destroy their bodies over the next 25 years.

Now .. no Union driver in their right mind wants to go into management, the final nail in that coffin was their decision to eliminate further funding into the management’s pension trusts.

Also .. there was a time when part time supervisors had to go on road and quality in 30 days in order to go full time. In our area they quit doing that some time ago, I believe the real reason was to promote women. Before that decision we saw a lot of young women part time supervisors not qualify and were denied promotions.
Hey, David Abney was a RPCD!

Undertow

That's some of the breakdown but not all of it. The USPS is limited from changing the rates it charges for shipping which can greatly restrict it's ability to react

Per internet:

Can't say I've seen any postal carrier out there lugging packages the size of washing machines out of that little white jeep. Doubt any of their employees are pushing their management to pursue that volume.

Its_a_me

Here is the breakdown.

FedEx shipped 4.1 billion, down from 4.3 billion.

Market Share

The USPS is a government extension.

USPS charges me the same rate to hit the neighbor with a letter as it does to take that letter to Hawaii. That's a government service not a business model that accounts for costs. Using them is a bad example as they are bound by government rules not private practices. Their pensions including health care projected increased costs are 100% funded---think UPS has that?

Plus pointing out something is slightly down from it's most profitable year ever does not divert from the fact that 2023 > 2018 volume.

Profits up from 2018 = slice to the employees grows.